Todd Dodge has unique perspective on recruiting

Harry

Throughout Todd Dodge’s football career, he’s experienced everything there is to when it comes to recruiting.

In 1981, he was the target. As a state championship winning quarterback out of Port Arthur, he ended up playing for Texas.

“I tell players all the time, … back in 1980, 81 when I was getting recruited, literally, the recruiting process started around January 1 and it lasted about one month,” Dodge said. “There were no games that you went to, there were no camps, there were no junior days. You found out, basically, your coach told you when the season was over with, ‘Oh, by the way, these guys like you.’ He probably already set up your visits for you and here’s your four, five visits. So it was only about a one month process.”

Two and a half decades later, he was the parent of a highly sought-after recruit when colleges from all over the state were after Riley Dodge. Todd coached Riley at Southlake Carroll, where he led the Dragons to a state championship over Westlake High School.

“I went through it with my son Riley, who’s 26 years old right now, and it just seems like yesterday that he was going through the process,” Dodge said about his son who is currently on the football staff at Texas.

Riley was originally committed to follow in his dad’s footsteps and play for Texas, but instead, he ended up just following his dad. After coaching his son to the 2006 state championship, Todd became the head coach at The University of North Texas where Riley ended up playing from 2008-2009.

Read more: http://kxan.com/2015/01/27/todd-dodge-has-unique-perspective-on-recruiting/

Despite 90's inevitable and predictable negativism (though he is accurate about Riley)....

I have a lot of respect for Todd Dodge. I am glad he is no longer our coach, but I have a great deal of respect for him. I think that he is a perfect individual to speak on this topic and I believe that his words should carry a lot of clout with college prospects and their parents. I hope that people listen.

• Upvote 5

That's what I took from the topic of this thread.

Didnt read the article.

The thread topic is: Todd Dodge has unique perspective on recruiting.

Riley was not mentioned in the topic nor was any of our current quarterbacks nor was our current coach. You say you didn't read the article, but it would also appear you didn't read the thread topic either.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 7

The thread topic is: Todd Dodge has unique perspective on recruiting.

Riley was not mentioned in the topic nor was any of our current quarterbacks nor was our current coach. You say you didn't read the article, but it would also appear you didn't read the thread topic either.

Yet my statement is still valid.

Yes, I'm that good.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Revisionist history.

R Dodge was a legacy recruit for MAc Brown who wanted him for a wide receiver.

Really accurate in drills, too small in reality. benefited from playing his whole life in his dad's system.

He also quit on his school and team, so F that guy.

And to the articles point, yes recruiting is different today than in 1980.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6