UCF one of many looking for a home game in 2015

Harry

How about we bring in a competitive FCS opponent? Texas Southern and Nicholls State are cupcakes, even by FCS standards. How about bringing in North Dakota State?

On a serious note, maybe Sam Houston or SFA? I would prefer a lower level FBS school like a bottom tier sunbelt or bottom tier MAC school, but I'm not sure that would happen and most already have their 2015 schedules filled.

Whatever happens with our last game in 2015, we can't schedule another home and home. The Army series isn't bad, but it's at least two games too long. We can't set up an more home and homes until after 2021. As long as we play at least paycheck game a year, we can't have 3 home and homes. That would create 5-game home schedules.

Why not bring in North Dakota State? Simple, FCS aside, they'd probably beat the crap out of us. I watched them in Frisco win National Championships.
  • Upvote 1

Agreed. An FCS team should be a tune-up, period. Even a bought low-end G5 (Idaho, etc.) should be the same. This year's was lower than a tune-up; you want at least a little bit of resistance and Nicholls didn't provide that. But you shouldn't have to worry about losing it, a la NDSU. Run through some different things than you normally would, test out new starters, etc. You can't do all of that if you're struggling to just pull off the W.

• Upvote 1

Well, you could have 3 home and home series if your AD conisders a road game in Dallas as an alternate home game every other year. This is all about paying the bills for the entire athletic department. We are poor, we need lots of money from the bodybag games, and playing a 5 game home schedule every other year will help the AD stay in the black (or near it anyway). Scheduling is all about known costs--as is almost everything we do when it comes to athletics. Its always about known costs--not opportunity costs that are lost, but what we know for certain something will cost. You could call it a VALUE proposition, if you want...

Pretty dead on here.

Right or wrong, it's how things are done at UNT.

Edited by UNT90

I would love to bring in SFA, Sam Houston St, or Texas St. I feel like students could connect better with those names coming to town.

We could quite possibly lose to Sam Houston St. They are nationally ranked on a consistent basis and played for the FCS championship 2 or 3 years ago.

Agreed. An FCS team should be a tune-up, period. Even a bought low-end G5 (Idaho, etc.) should be the same. This year's was lower than a tune-up; you want at least a little bit of resistance and Nicholls didn't provide that. But you shouldn't have to worry about losing it, a la NDSU. Run through some different things than you normally would, test out new starters, etc. You can't do all of that if you're struggling to just pull off the W.

Lower than a tune up?

Kinda like...

... A scrimmage?

• Downvote 1

So the goal is to never need an FCS game to count.

Yes!

As I understand it, if you have seven wins including an FCS win, then the FCS game doesn't count toward eligibility that year. However, the FCS win DOES count toward your total number of wins so you will still be considered to have 7 total wins, six of which counted toward bowl eligibility. When bowls are picking, you are counted as a 7 win team.

This can be very confusing!

If they would bring their band , I'd love to host Grambling to start a season. I think we could hit 30K

It used to be hella fun when they would bring their band to play during lunch hour in downtown Dallas the day before that annual Grambling-Prairie View A&M game at the Cotton Bowl. Do they still do that? I think that was an Al Lipscomb thing.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see a Texas State or a Grambling come into town.

We'd also be looking for home opponents in 2016 and 2017 as well it seems.

2016 - vs SMU; at Army; at Florida
2017 - at SMU; vs Army; at Iowa

Fortunately from 2018 it's alternating home and home between SMU and Army.

With Dajon Williams I'm cautiously optimistic about our game versus Florida. They don't seem to be the powerhouse threat they used to be in the Meyer/Tebow era. What a thrill that would be if we could knock of Florida. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's beat Indiana next week and assert ourselves in conference play.

• Upvote 1