How much mileage does it get?

emmitt01

How much mileage will we let Mac and RV get out of last season? Make no mistake, I still think this team goes bowling though I am now convinced the ride will be significantly more bumpy getting there. I think the QB's will play better starting Saturday amd I think our stable of running backs will prove to be quite effective.

But how long into the season does the leash stretch if I'm wrong? If the QB play stays abysmal (this is Mac's 4th season and these are HIS recruits) does anyone start to call him to the carpet for it? If we start out 2-2 with umimpressive wins against VERY weak La Tech and Nichols State teams will we trot out the "remember the seniors we lost" line (when, again, these are now Mac's recruits)? If we are truly "a program and not a fluke season" will we accept a major step back and keep bludgeoning any naysayers with "you must have ignored the HOD win"? DD won four bowl games with HIS players and we demonize him from time to time. Will this fan base, the same one that stood behind Dodge for far too long, stay on board if Mac can't get back to a bowl game without Dodge's guys?

Again, I fully expect we'll turn it around from what we saw last night. But if we don't, how much "credit" do Mac and RV have in the bank?

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dude....the board of regents just renewed the contract of the guy responsible for NOT doing anything he was hired to do...raise money, raise political clout and get the UNT Law School off the ground,.....PLUS he's responsible for losing $83 Million causing the remaining state schools to face audits. What makes you think there's going to be a vast call for accountability now?

Rick

• Upvote 6

Dude....the board of regents just renewed the contract of the guy responsible for NOT doing anything he was hired to do...raise money, raise political clout and get the UNT Law School off the ground,.....PLUS he's responsible for losing $83 Million causing the remaining state schools to face audits. What makes you think there's going to be a vast call for accountability now?

Rick

Not the BOR, we know they don't hold anyone accountable.

I'm talking about the guys on here who've pulled their skirts and pom poms out and keep chanting "remember the HOD" every time a valid concern is put forth.

I'm talking about the guys on here who've pulled their skirts and pom poms out and keep chanting "remember the HOD" every time a valid concern is put forth.

If this fan base cares so little about events as embarrassing as the former then a losing football season certainly isn't going to raise many eyebrows.

Rick

How is anyone on here going to hold DMac and RV accountable?

Lol!!!

• Upvote 2

I have put my concerns out there. I was questioning play calling last year as well. We ended up winning more than we lost, but I questioned it throughout the entire season. It's anemic and not innovative. Last year we could have been explosive. DT had a relatively accurate arm and we could have slung the ball around in the intermediate area of the field. Instead we ran, ran, threw more times than not. Recruiting has sliiiiiightly improved at most positions, except QB. It's concerning. Mac's track record doesn't speak for itself or I would stfu and let the season play out. But I am legitimately concerned right now. We have 2 QB's that got scholarships on the basis of I have no freaking idea. I can't remember watching a team have such a bad performance at throwing the football. Even the FCS teams come up to the blue bloods house and throw the ball around a little bit. It's an embarrassment.

I have put my concerns out there. I was questioning play calling last year as well. We ended up winning more than we lost, but I questioned it throughout the entire season. It's anemic and not innovative. Last year we could have been explosive. DT had a relatively accurate arm and we could have slung the ball around in the intermediate area of the field. Instead we ran, ran, threw more times than not. Recruiting has sliiiiiightly improved at most positions, except QB. It's concerning. Mac's track record doesn't speak for itself or I would stfu and let the season play out. But I am legitimately concerned right now. We have 2 QB's that got scholarships on the basis of I have no freaking idea. I can't remember watching a team have such a bad performance at throwing the football. Even the FCS teams come up to the blue bloods house and throw the ball around a little bit. It's an embarrassment.

Agreed. The Texas game was an embarrassment for UNT. For crying out loud, you guys are in the state of Texas (QB hot-bed U.S.A.) and we don't have a QB that could pass for 10 damn yards.

We'd have to lay an egg this season and next. This game was unspeakably terrible. I still believe he's the guy to lead it.

I say by next year because Dajon will be a RS Soph, Greer will be a SR JR, Means will be a RS FR. Also, gives them time to get one more guy in here.

As he is a defensive coach, his offense isn't where to judge him. His defenses have been extraordinary so I'd rather see him can Canales than anything. I wasn't so high on him when we signed him, but he showed some good things when he took over. I know Danny Mac is the final say on all things UNT football, but I wonder how much a better coordinator would do.

EDIT: My bad. Forgot.

Edited by aztecskin

Look at SMU tonight, they played their freshman making 3 QBs they played in the game. Thats smart of Jones. Some guys just play better in games when the lights are on. We are not going to forget the praise Mac heaped on Dajon at least I am not. Also he has used up his redshirt so he won't get this time back.

When Emmitt referred to "it" in the title, I just assumed he meant "that ass."

As that is not the case, I have nothing to contribute.

Should anyone need to know the mileage one might get out of said ass, rest assured, the answer might be more than you can handle. Of course, I do all that is necessary to attain top mileage out of any and all ass whenever possible, so one must, ostensibly, work for that ass as well.

The bowl was a great milestone but it is not going to be all up from there. Hopefully it will trend up over time.

I just think if someone can throw against a good defense they will have better options. What do you do about that?

Frankly athletics is the least of North Texas' problems. Take a look at Forbes college rankings to see where we stand.

On a positive note, I did see an eagle on the helmets even from that horrendous upper deck.

Also UT got a lot less per carry than I thought they would. And if you want to say I had low expectations then you were not being realistic.

Yeah, it's not good and I am uncertain why we are rated so low. On a bright side we are a good ways ahead of utsa so that's always a good thing. On a more positive note, put together a winning football program for 10 years and see what that does for your academics. You'd be surprised.

That's a great point, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Football gives a school stature.

Yeah it does..If these dipshit UNT alum would realize that their stock would go up within their respective workplace with the success of the football program. It does hand in hand. If we can get the average alums to donate just a smidgen we could really help this university improve. GMG

The problem isn't necessarily money. The problem is scouting, recruitment, and winning...which all three have to start with the coach. That's why we brought in Danny Mac. He, and his crew should identify great players, trick them into coming here, and make this team better...each year..or at least most years. If you put to lead foots on scholarship and have a game plan that everyone with a brain knows before you start....that's no bueno. The scholarships are there, we just have to apply them to the correct student and then give them the ability to thrive. From our first outing, it appears this is backasswards, but things could certainly turn around.

.If these dipshit UNT alum would realize that their stock would go up within their respective workplace with the success of the football program.

I don't agree with that one bit. Not one bit. Just simply isn't true. Once out there in the brutal world, you either perform or you don't. All this mythical shit that UT grads are supposed to be giving to poor lil ole UNT alum is just simply not something I see. At all. Maaaybe in the initial recruitment of fresh out of school entry level positions. But once you're in the door, you seal your own fate. Your alma mater has nothing to do with your ascent or external perception. If you think that's holding you back in the workplace, you need take a harder look at how you're performing.

• Upvote 5

If you don't believe that then you are, I am sorry, an idiot. Obviously if you are already hired this topic becomes irrelevant. Getting into the field or looking to move on elsewhere for a promotion your degree plays an intricate role. Football program success puts our program on the map and gives us as alum publicity. I am not saying that anyone is better than anyone, but employers look at this kind of thing. They take into account where one attended college and where that degree was earned.

Say an employer interviews 3 people, looking to hire 2. Their interview skills are all on point with each other. They are virtually identical. However, the degrees earned are from UT, North Texas, and SHSU. What two are they going to hire? Like I said...our stock rises with the success of the football program, maybe not at our current workplace because we are already hired on. But in the grand scheme of things, it rises.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

If you don't believe that then you are, I am sorry, an idiot. Obviously if you are already hired this topic becomes irrelevant. Getting into the field or looking to move on elsewhere for a promotion your degree plays an intricate role. Football program success puts our program on the map and gives us as alum publicity. I am not saying that anyone is better than anyone, but employers look at this kind of thing. They take into account where one attended college and where that degree was earned.

Say an employer interviews 3 people, looking to hire 2. Their interview skills are all on point with each other. They are virtually identical. However, the degrees earned are from UT, North Texas, and SHSU. What two are they going to hire? Like I said...our stock rises with the success of the football program, maybe not at our current workplace because we are already hired on. But in the grand scheme of things, it rises.

I'm going to guess you are young or only have a bachelors degree and have had one or few applicable job(s). I'll point out 3 things: 1) Rarely do employers care about this type of thing except when a supervisor sees someone from their alma mater apply and they get all crazy thinking the person is "just like them." So it would not matter about the football, just the match of alma mater. 2) In my many years of hiring and firing, I've only seen "hiring professionals" get excited over the "school of origin" of the person applying when it is an ivy-league school or the like. "we have ourselves a smart one!" I've never seen them get excited because the school has a good football program. Seriously. Given equals from ut or UNT, hiring professionals would look at some other qualifier like personality, fit with the team, professionalism...those types of things...not "from a good football school." 3)This is also rarely applicable, if at all, because the hiring is first screened by HR and the hiring professionals and the applicants are rarely "just from Texas". So a person from alabama u, nd state, unt, and sxsw north carolina apply and the hiring professional is from utah. In short, nobody cares. You need to be qualified for the job, represent yourself well in the short interview, and be professional. Football, or "a football school, is rarely discussed and has never been applicable in my many years of hiring and firing.

• Upvote 5

You guys are missing the point on the job. It matters when he has to defend his football school at the watercooler and is embarrassed just because we lost a game. Losing happens, it's ok. It won't matter for your next promotion or job interview, unless you are interviewing for a coaching job.

Yes, the ole watercooler can be rough place when losing. It was good last year, however, with a "near miss" with the dawgs and the bowl win. That got a lot of antenna up at the water cooler. The good thing about this year is that only whorns fans and UNT fans know about our loss since it was one that unwatched network. Maybe an smu win will get us back in good with our buddies at the cooler.