I don't want to complain about our ticket dept... "however&#34

philtex

I have been patiently waiting until today to purchase my ticket for the UT game. Everything I saw up to this point said general public tickets would be available July 1. I was really suprised when I went online and after searching around realized there was no way to make this transaction happen on our UNT ticket site. So I called the ticket office. The guy I spoke with was very nice, but he informed me that since I was not a season ticket holder or club member, tickets were not available. I literally had to read the schedule chart directly on their site over the phone, and after he checked a few things determined that this would in fact be ok. However, their computer system was down, so all he could do was to take my credit card info over the phone- and said the transaction would be done later.

Overall, this was not an upleasant experience- but the whole thing felt very "small school program" to me. Certainly not what I would expect, based on how far we have come in recent years. It really seems like it would not take much tech savvy to have this transaction handled online- including seat selections, payment and confirmation. He told me he would call me back and let me know when the transaction went through later- but never heard a thing today. He did not even ask for my mailing address- I had to suggest that towards the end of the call once he said that tickets would be mailed out in August. I was a season ticket holder the first year of Apogee, but have no idea if my contact info is still in the system. Sorry to vent, not a big deal, but hope they can raise the bar a bit for the benefit of future growth!

(EDIT UPDATE 7/2) Just talked with Eddie at the ticket office and got everything resolved- I think they had my purchase under a different account. Thanks to everyone for responding. From those in the know, it sounds like setting up things for credit card processing is sometimes not as easy as one would think!

Edited by philtex
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I can lend a little insight on this. Though I do not know how much Athletics is in on this issue or happen to be separate from the rest of the University with it, I know that different departments at UNT have had major problems securing proper procedures and services for credit card transactions.

I worked in one department that had to wait three years before being approved for CC processing. In that time the protocol and servicing agent changed three times and multiple meetings with university lawyers had to take place. Additionally, the budgeting or accounts receiving personnel seemed rather incompetent throughout.

I have since worked within another department that faced similar issues. They opted for Square to make the process simpler and more mobile, which was duly needed for its events and functions. Those same incompetent accounting departments recently put a stop to that though and things aren't so great again.

This specific function (credit card processing) seems to just be as tickling point that the large bureaucracy portion of UNT has been too slow to figure out yet.

----

And yet, not so when it comes to accepting tuition or fee payments. :)

Edited by Christopher Walker

2 thoughts

First, perhaps the University should adopt a single credit card acceptance system and let every department use it with that department's specific code.

Second. If North Texas fans woould buy season tickets, the waiting period to buy "premium" games would be waived.

i got my Texas tickets months ago.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

Additionally, the budgeting or accounts receiving personnel seemed rather incompetent throughout.

Hmmmm ... sounds like what's happened with our budget issues. At my office until recently we still did a lot of things old style. We had paper forms for check requests, wrote out physical checks for every payment, etc. We did have an external audit every year so that puts us ahead of UNT. I'm the IT Director and I feel I have our department current on technologies. Our media department has our website and other media methods up to date. However, our accounting department were still doing things the same way they had been for over a decade.

It wasn't until recently when we got new, younger leadership with more recent real world experience that we've made major changes and started using direct deposits, automatic payements, using something like Square for mobile payments, etc. Since we now apparently have new leadership over this area at UNT hopefully they'll get around to modernizing this.

• Upvote 1

I got an email solicitation to purchase additional tickets yesterday and when I went to do it I kept getting error messages. I called and was also told the system was down. If someone is ready to buy, you have to be able to take their money, especially if you are actively calling on them for them to buy. I was disappointed.

• Upvote 1

First, perhaps the University should adopt a single credit card acceptance system and let every department use it with that department's specific code.

If only it were that easy.

• Upvote 1

I have been patiently waiting until today to purchase my ticket for the UT game. Everything I saw up to this point said general public tickets would be available July 1. I was really suprised when I went online and after searching around realized there was no way to make this transaction happen on our UNT ticket site. So I called the ticket office. The guy I spoke with was very nice, but he informed me that since I was not a season ticket holder or club member, tickets were not available. I literally had to read the schedule chart directly on their site over the phone, and after he checked a few things determined that this would in fact be ok. However, their computer system was down, so all he could do was to take my credit card info over the phone- and said the transaction would be done later.

Overall, this was not an upleasant experience- but the whole thing felt very "small school program" to me. Certainly not what I would expect, based on how far we have come in recent years. It really seems like it would not take much tech savvy to have this transaction handled online- including seat selections, payment and confirmation. He told me he would call me back and let me know when the transaction went through later- but never heard a thing today. He did not even ask for my mailing address- I had to suggest that towards the end of the call once he said that tickets would be mailed out in August. I was a season ticket holder the first year of Apogee, but have no idea if my contact info is still in the system. Sorry to vent, not a big deal, but hope they can raise the bar a bit for the benefit of future growth!

(EDIT UPDATE 7/2) Just talked with Eddie at the ticket office and got everything resolved- I think they had my purchase under a different account. Thanks to everyone for responding. From those in the know, it sounds like setting up things for credit card processing is sometimes not as easy as one would think!

No problem. Glad to help. Philtex if you need anything help just call my direct line and I'll square everything for you.

940-369-5380

• Upvote 1