New Roster Numbers Are Out

The fall roster is posted on meangreensports.com with the numbers assigned to new players reporting in the fall.

A few things that I noticed...

Zed Evans is not listed on the fall roster. He had another year of eligibility left and I thought that he was going to grad school but I guess that changed. Blake Bean and Sam Rice are listed on the roster. I'm pretty sure that Rice must sit for the 2014 season (SMU transfer) but I thought that Bean had to sit as well since he transferred from Buffalo, a FBS university. Darren Denucci is not listed. It could be that his commitment is so new that it didn't get in in time for the update. No grayshirt was moved to the fall roster (Chumbley?) so I guess that we filled all available scholarships. About a dozen numbers were changed.

I'm not sure about Bean. Haven't heard much about him from Vito or any other sources. If he's eligible to play this season then he's either a grad transfer or he's walking on. If he's coming in as a grad transfer (like Evans) then he should've counted towards last signing class like Evans did in 2013.

I'm not sure about Bean. Haven't heard much about him from Vito or any other sources. If he's eligible to play this season then he's either a grad transfer or he's walking on. If he's coming in as a grad transfer (like Evans) then he should've counted towards last signing class like Evans did in 2013.

Bean is listed on 2 deep, so I assume he's cleared to play.

Bean is listed on 2 deep, so I assume he's cleared to play.

Exactly. Which leads me to believe he may be walking on. Although it seems strange. He would've counted towards last class if he was a grad transfer coming in on scholarship.

Also, it's kind of funny seeing all these freshmen with numbers that are not highly coveted, then Tee Goree has a single digit number. I do expect big things from Tee, but I understand he may need a little bit of time. I just see the guy stepping out and balling from day 1.

Does anyone know anything about Zed, other than that he doesn't show on the roster? Is he definitely done? Why?

Zed was hurt in the spring and decided it was enough. not sure if being #2 on the depth chart and the juco safety coming in had something to do with it either.

He probably was headed to being on special teams again and a reserve, so I guess he decided to hang it up. He spent most of his time at Louisville on special teams, and it was happening at UNT also. I hear he was a great athlete, just couldnt grasp the defense.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. Which leads me to believe he may be walking on. Although it seems strange. He would've counted towards last class if he was a grad transfer coming in on scholarship.

Even if he was just a walk on, he would have to sit out a year considering he played and started last year. The only thing I can think of is he graduated from buffalo or had a very special circustance where buffalo released him and the ncaa allowed him to play immediately. It must have been worked out before the transfer.

Thanks MG13 I just have to do a little bit of searching myself

Denucci is a big kid

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Darren-Denucci-145884

Could not find to much on Bean during his recruiting period in HS. Was he on scholarship at Buffalo? Just wondering being that yahoo/sports did not list any offers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Blake-Bean-144436

Bean signed with Buffalo from one of the Kansas JCs. He only has one year of eligibility left and, if I understand correctly, must complete in 2015. Denucci sat out last year after committing to Nevada. He had played the previous year at Snow College (JC) in Utah. He has played one year beyond high school and sat one so he should have three years' eligibility which he must complete in the next three years.

Edited by GrayEagle

I was really hoping we would have picked up one or two commits after 2 camps.

We will likely end up with some good players and a solid class, but this is very disappointing.

Late July-early August was when our big string of commits came. Until then we only had 2 (who committed in May). So we still have time to get a good class like last year, but we wanted to see a noticeable improvement in our recruiting because of our breakthrough season.

We will likely end up with some good players and a solid class, but this is very disappointing.

Late July-early August was when our big string of commits came. Until then we only had 2 (who committed in May). So we still have time to get a good class like last year, but we wanted to see a noticeable improvement in our recruiting because of our breakthrough season.

I would rather us wait to get the majority of our commits after another winning season and after some smoke clears.

I would rather us wait to get the majority of our commits after another winning season and after some smoke clears.

I feel like that'd just result in a repeat of last year's class. We'd have two winning years in our favor, but a lot of players would be already committed or have us eliminates where it'd be too late. I think those factors would cancel out.

Again, having a class similar to last year's would be fine. I was just hoping to see us recruiting like the big boys. Not just of the country, but of this conference.

I feel like that'd just result in a repeat of last year's class. We'd have two winning years in our favor, but a lot of players would be already committed or have us eliminates where it'd be too late. I think those factors would cancel out.

Again, having a class similar to last year's would be fine. I was just hoping to see us recruiting like the big boys. Not just of the country, but of this conference.

One winning season isnt enough to sway a good 3 star level athlete from a sorry big 12 or aac team.

Whether we like it or not, these kids are waiting for a bigger school. Even the ones that have committed the last few years, current players, and the ones that have played and moved on were waiting for more established programs and big 12 schools.

The selling playing time thing is not much of an advantage as some think, because the lower level big 12, sec, aac schools offer the same thing in some cases. DJ dean played for Arkansas last season. TCU and Tech has 2013 players slated to start in some spots.

Only thing that can trump playing for a bottom big 12 school is winning and going to bowls, while they stay home.

We will most likely have a similar class to last year, but hopefully it can net sone goree level DTs, DBs, and QB.

• Upvote 1

I truly think that this staff has to get ONE big time guy in here. ONE, not a class full, but ONE. It may be the turning point in the recruiting game. Until then we will continue to be bypassed. "Big time" to me would be considered at the VERY least an Xavier Washington type player. It's almost as if our recruiting game is like throwing darts blindfolded and hoping one sticks. Great coaches are also great recruiters. Year 4 and still dog paddling.

I truly think that this staff has to get ONE big time guy in here. ONE, not a class full, but ONE. It may be the turning point in the recruiting game. Until then we will continue to be bypassed. "Big time" to me would be considered at the VERY least an Xavier Washington type player. It's almost as if our recruiting game is like throwing darts blindfolded and hoping one sticks. Great coaches are also great recruiters. Year 4 and still dog paddling.

We don't know how good of a talent evaluator and recruiter Mac's staff has been quite yet.

We will have a very good read on that at the end of this season.

QB and DL recruiting does appear to be disappointing, though.

One winning season isnt enough to sway a good 3 star level athlete from a sorry big 12 or aac team.

Whether we like it or not, these kids are waiting for a bigger school. Even the ones that have committed the last few years, current players, and the ones that have played and moved on were waiting for more established programs and big 12 schools.

The selling playing time thing is not much of an advantage as some think, because the lower level big 12, sec, aac schools offer the same thing in some cases. DJ dean played for Arkansas last season. TCU and Tech has 2013 players slated to start in some spots.

Only thing that can trump playing for a bottom big 12 school is winning and going to bowls, while they stay home.

We will most likely have a similar class to last year, but hopefully it can net sone goree level DTs, DBs, and QB.

Sure you can sway players away from lower level Big 12 or AAC teams. AAC isn't even an AQ/P5 conference anymore anyways. They have better TV exposure and some bigger name schools but if you can really get a kid to buy what you're selling than an offer from an AAC school or a lower-tier big 12 school like Kansas or Iowa State is far from an offer that will completely change the dynamic of that kid's recruitment. Different story if it's with an upper-tier school like Texas or Oklahoma.

I agree about the playing time pitch. It has more to do with a team's current depth at that position than how prestigious a team it is.

Look across our conference and you'll see teams convincing kids to commit now. Not even necessarily beating out P5 schools for kids early on, but kids with solid offer lists like a kid like Niko Small, who I hope we get a commitment from next month when he announces. Then you've got a school like FAU, who wasn't even in a bowl game. They have plenty of kids committed with P5 offers already. Here's their commitment list.

http://fau.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

La Tech's (4-8 last year) commitment list

http://latech.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

And Western Michigan (1-11 last year)

http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

Western Michigan was 1-11 last year in the MAC but they've got a young coach who relates to young players and has been getting it done on the trail. It doesn't have to take 4 straight nine-win seasons for us to see a pick up in our recruiting.

Edited by BillySee58

Sure you can sway players away from lower level Big 12 or AAC teams. AAC isn't even an AQ/P5 conference anymore anyways. They have better TV exposure and some bigger name schools but if you can really get a kid to buy what you're selling than an offer from an AAC school or a lower-tier big 12 school like Kansas or Iowa State is far from an offer that will completely change the dynamic of that kid's recruitment. Different story if it's with an upper-tier school like Texas or Oklahoma.

I agree about the playing time pitch. It has more to do with a team's current depth at that position than how prestigious a team it is.

Look across our conference and you'll see teams convincing kids to commit now. Not even necessarily beating out P5 schools for kids early on, but kids with solid offer lists like a kid like Niko Small, who I hope we get a commitment from next month when he announces. Then you've got a school like FAU, who wasn't even in a bowl game. They have plenty of kids committed with P5 offers already. Here's their commitment list.

Western Michigan was 1-11 last year in the MAC but they've got a young coach who relates to young players and has been getting it done on the trail. It doesn't have to take 4 straight nine-win seasons for us to see a pick up in our recruiting.

I put out recruiting tiers a few months ago. Not many states have to deal with many levels like recruiting in Texas. Its not a good comparision.

In Florida, you have fsu, Miami, and Florida. If they havent gotten in touch with you, you know where you stand.

In Texas you have lsu, UT, am, ou at the top. You still have tech, Baylor, osu, tcu, as a strong second tier. These schools are some kid's dream school and you can get a good recruit to commit early to these schools.

To get 3 stars (or higher) to commit and not wait for bigger conference schools, UNT has to become a recruits favorite school. That is going to take some time. A few winning seasons, and UNT can become a second tier school to Denton area athletes.

• Upvote 1

I put out recruiting tiers a few months ago. Not many states have to deal with many levels like recruiting in Texas. Its not a good comparision.

In Florida, you have fsu, Miami, and Florida. If they havent gotten in touch with you, you know where you stand.

In Texas you have lsu, UT, am, ou at the top. You still have tech, Baylor, osu, tcu, as a strong second tier. These schools are some kid's dream school and you can get a good recruit to commit early to these schools.

To get 3 stars (or higher) to commit and not wait for bigger conference schools, UNT has to become a recruits favorite school. That is going to take some time. A few winning seasons, and UNT can become a second tier school to Denton area athletes.

There are more tiers than 2 in Florida. UCF has established themselves as a strong 2nd tier, and USF is right with them based on past success and conference affiliation. FIU & FAU along with everyone else is sit at the 3rd tier. To put UCF and USF along with FIU & FAU in the same tier of recruiting is misinformed. Just my opinion.

Looks like FAU has developed a pipeline in their home city. Their top 3 recruits are all from Fort Lauderdale, including a 4 star running back.

If we could do the same thing in Denton, maybe we could see future recruiting classes like this.

Why is it always so hard for North Texas?

Way too early to panic, but this is disappointing, especially after a big turn around season.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1