Game by Game Breakdown of UNT's 2014 Football Schedule

Harry

Saturday Aug. 30 @Texas - UNT won't win this game, but how they perform and compete could have a big impact on the rest of the season. A hard fought loss could go a long way toward helping them fill Apogee against rival SMU. Both teams will likely field new QB's and expect UT to test a brand new UNT defensive line early and often with a power running game. UNT LOSS

Saturday Sept. 6 Mustangs SMU Mustangs @Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX - The most anticipated rematch for UNT fans and perhaps the biggest game for UNT in 2014. UNT and SMU will play 12 games but there is not a more important one than this first one. For the second week, UNT will face a team with a new face at QB. SMU has talent and will remember that their last game in Denton was a loss. I think the performance against Texas, despite losing could have a major impact on the outcome of this game. UNT WIN

Sept. 13 Bulldogs Louisiana Tech Bulldogs - Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX --- UNT dominated La. Tech in 2013 but I see them getting better and making this a much tougher win. Their QB will have a year under his belt and although they lose two of their best defensive linemen. I see this as a smashmouth game for Mac and UNT's experienced offensive line will win the day. UNT WIN

Sept. 20 Colonels Nicholls State Colonels Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX --- Nichols State is no slouch and UNT better not take them lightly but Mac has shown that he will take care of business against the lower division teams. UNT will win this one convincingly. UNT WIN

Sept. 27 --- Open Date --- ---

Oct. 4 Hoosiers at Indiana Hoosiers Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN --- Indiana will be light years from where they were in Kevin Wilson's first season when they were beaten by UNT in Denton. This will be a very difficult game for UNT to win on the road, as Wilson is trying to save his job. They have recruited more Big 10 level talent than what Wilson inherited and frankly, Wilson could lose his job if he loses this game. I am going to lean towards Indiana in a squeaker on the road. UNT LOSS

Oct. 11 Blazers at UAB Blazers Legion Field, Birmingham, AL - UAB is improving but with a new head coach and new system I expect that UNT will win this game pretty handily. UNT WIN

Oct. 18 Golden Eagles Southern Miss Golden Eagles Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX --- See UAB - I think USM will get the ship righted but they are still a year or two away. This game will be closer because UNT will have a new QB but the UNT offensive line will win the day again. UNT WIN

Oct. 25 Owls at Rice Owls Rice Stadium, Houston, TX ---- This will be a war. Much like SMU, Rice has done very well in their recruiting and despite losing their starting QB they have some very talented QB's waiting in the wings and some with game (bowl game) experience. I think Rice will be able to pull this one out at home in a close one. UNT LOSS

Nov. 1 --- Open Date --- ---

Nov. 8 Owls Florida Atlantic Owls - Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX --- Florida Atlantic may actually give Marshall a run for their money in the C-USA east this year. They have an extremely athletic and talented QB and a very fast defense. I am going to say UNT in a squeaker because it is at home but this game could go either way. UNT WIN

Nov. 15 Miners at UTEP Miners Sun Bowl Stadium, El Paso, TX --- Mark my word, UTEP will be dramatically improved in 2014 but not quite enough to beat UNT. UNT was able to effectively run the ball against UTEP and I think they will be able to again. UNT WIN

Nov. 22 Golden Panthers FIU Golden Panthers Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX- Turner has FIU improving, and they seem to have our number as they destroyed us in Mac's opener in Miami 2 years ago. I think Mac sees this as a revenge game and will have the team ready to play. I think our running game will again be the difference and will put this as a Mean Green win. UNT WIN

Saturday Nov. 29 Roadrunners at UTSA Roadrunners Alamodome, San Antonio, TX --- Wow - what a great game to end the season with. UTSA stole the C-USA Championship game away from UNT on the road so you can bet the Mean Green will be plenty fired up for this road game. That being said, UTSA returns more starters than any other team in the league and I expect they will be picked by some to win the West. I have made it no secret, I was a huge Eric Soza fan, and UTSA loses more than just a QB but the heart and soul of their program with him graduating. I am going to give UNT a slight lean in this game on the road although this game could go either way and UTSA likely will be picked as the C-USA west favorite with a stout defense. UNT WIN

So I am predicting that UNT goes 9-3 in 2014 and loses to Marshall in the C-USA championship game.

I know some will say I am crazy, but if you look at it, C-USA West is still in rebuilding mode. Even the team that returns the most starters will have to replace the heart of their team in QB Eric Soza. SO this is clearly a down/rebuilding year for C-USA west. On top of that, other than the UT opener, I don't see a game that UNT couldn't win and many that they would be favored in just due to the fact their entire offensive line returns intact. I also like the schedule, we get SMU and FAU at home. UAB AND UTEP are teams we should be able to handle so being on the road isn't as big an issue. I also like how the byes are spread out. I think we will lose to Rice and Indiana on the road, I still don't think road games are Mac's forte. Should be a fun season! GMG

Aside from the obvious QB position, the answer will be in the defensive front 7. To get to where Harry predicts us to be, the defensive front 7 must perform as well as they did last year.

That is a massively tall order on a lot of inexperienced kids.

I think we lose to FAU and SMU (gasp!) at home and end up 7-5.

We also need to replace some pretty impressive receivers, although I think we may have some immediate help coming at that position with some huge upside.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aside from the obvious QB position, the answer will be in the defensive front 7. To get to where Harry predicts us to be, the defensive front 7 must perform as well as they did last year.

We also need to replace some pretty impressive receivers, although I think we may have some immediate help coming at that position with some huge upside.

I hear you on the d-line but this is getting to be like Groundhog day -- noone, I mean UNT90, Brett Vito, BillySee etc expected our defensive line to be what it was last year! NO ONE!! Now they are lamenting us losing the same d-line that they claimed was UNT's achilles heel in 2013. Come on man you can't have it both ways now can you?

It turned out to be a lot better than we thought, but you get my drift, these same foreboding opinions, articles etc were being generated about last years D-line. Q blows out the knee, Big Country get thrown in the tank and off the squad, Sarge gets injured...you get my drift, This year I think the coaching staff deserves a little more credit for knowing what they have and what they can do with it. Mac has heaped praise on his graduating seniors as it should be but he has also said we have some extremely talented players waiting for their chance to shine.

I'm here, although I think the Apogee Advantage could creep in and make Harry's prediction true.

FAU was turning it around big time at the end of the year last season. Bowl eligible, but stayed home. They are going to be very difficult to beat.

• Upvote 1

We will beat SMU at home--and I think it won't be close, either. Just my opinion--and I'm not exactly considered the eternal optimist around here...

• Upvote 2

I am not sure anyone is rebuilding more than us, so why hold that against other teams in the league? I think 6-6 is the most realistic (even if I want much, much more).

We have C-USA in a down year -- with Rice and UTSA replacing their QB...USM, UTEP are down and rebuilding... we avoid Marshall and a bowl eligible WKU in the east...

So you are right we could end up at 6-6 but it will likely mean we are losing to teams we would be favored against especially at home..

We return the best offensive line in C-USA and two outstanding running backs. Our defensive line is not devoid of talent and our secondary should be a strength with Buyers, Lee and Jones as returning starters.

Macek returns for special teams and the young kicker should be as good if not better than Pauls. What 6 games do you see us losing?

I hear you on the d-line but this is getting to be like Groundhog day -- noone, I mean UNT90, Brett Vito, BillySee etc expected our defensive line to be what it was last year! NO ONE!! Now they are lamenting us losing the same d-line that they claimed was UNT's achilles heel in 2013. Come on man you can't have it both ways now can you?

It turned out to be a lot better than we thought, but you get my drift, these same foreboding opinions, articles etc were being generated about last years D-line. Q blows out the knee, Big Country get thrown in the tank and off the squad, Sarge gets injured...you get my drift, This year I think the coaching staff deserves a little more credit for knowing what they have and what they can do with it. Mac has heaped praise on his graduating seniors as it should be but he has also said we have some extremely talented players waiting for their chance to shine.

I agree, but we were very fortunate last year to be just about injury free throughout the 2 deep. 2 years in a row like that don't happen too often.

And don't forget that we have zero college experience at QB. We all saw last year in the Ohio and Tulane game what can happen to a running game and a good O line when you won't/can't succeed in the vertical passing game.

Lots of questions this year. Lots more than last. I think 7-5 is pretty optimistic.

If things go perfectly, we could hit 9 games.

Things rarely go perfectly, especially 2 years in a row.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9-3 is very doable. Every whines about the front 7 for this up coming season. What was every one whining about this time last year outside of Zach Orr? Our front 7. Coaches develop and recruit and do their best to put a good product on the field. I expect 9-3, I'm not hoping for it. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10-2. I would however be surprised and disappointed at 6-6.

• Upvote 2

Lets all admit, however, that while we have predictions in mind, this is maybe the most up in the air year in recent memory. We don't know the qb situation, we don't know if our depth can fill the holes in the front 7. Basically we have to go off of our success last year, but our predictions can drastically change for better and worse

What gives me confidence in the D is the return of the secondary and 2 LB in Akunne and Wallace that know how to clean up. We just have to get a tackle that is explosive enough or big enough to take on double teams so opposing offensive linemen can't get on top of our LB's. If we can find that the D will hold it's own, and I think the coaching staff will find that D tackle to do just that. It'd be great if they could find 2. The O will be improved as I have been saying for months. Yes we lost Byrd, but we have very capable guys. Yes we lost DT, but he is not irreplaceable by any means whatsoever. We lost top 2 WR's, but we have Kidsy and Harris coming back and capable freshman coming in to contribute if only a little. Most importantly we have a veteran laden offensive line that I am sure will have the full intent on banging heads in the fall.

• Upvote 1

Ok...DT is the epitome of "game manager" and at times that role was too big for him. But I think 2500 passing yards and a 1:1 TD/INT ratio is replaceable. Intangibles and "leadership" is great way to pat a mediocre player on the back, but statistics speak for themselves. At the end of the day, especially with the QB talent on the roster, he is replaceable.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ok...DT is the epitome of "game manager" and at times that role was too big for him. But I think 2500 passing yards and a 1:1 TD/INT ratio is replaceable. Intangibles and "leadership" is great way to pat a mediocre player on the back, but statistics speak for themselves. At the end of the day, especially with the QB talent on the roster, he is replaceable.

You need to understand that ANY QB under Mac is going to be a game manager, plain and simple. No problem as long as he wins.

Talk to some Iowa St. People and you will understand that is exactly what he wants at QB.

Edited by UNT90

Should have been 11. Name a game he won. Maybe Ball State? Maybe. But everyone seems to forget the first half.

Coaching staff lost us the Ohio game by refusing to attempt to throw the ball vertically until halfway through the 3rd qtr.

Same for Tulane, when we bashed our head against 8 and 9 man fronts all 1st half, only throwing in 3 rd and long.

Really putting your QB in a great position to succeed.

But hell, I guess DT shoulda been used to it, eh?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I kind of agree with this. But chicken or the egg? Lack of confidence in the QB? Or handcuffing the QB?

I think lack of confidence.

Again, talk to the Iowa St. folks. If its lack of confidence, he has never had confidence in any QB.

Mac believes in playing great defense and special teams and making sure the offense doesn't turn the ball over while grinding on the ground.

And that's fine. As long as he wins. But don't expect any QB in his tenure to be turned lose in the first qtr, unless UNT is playing a team that Mac knows he has no hope of running the ball against.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For the health of the program we cannot lose to the mid majors from TX.... If we can sweep smu, rice, utep, and utsa everything else will fall in line. If we go 7-5 and those are 4 of our wins we are poised for a good run over the next half a decade in my humble.....

• Upvote 1

If those are 4 of our wins and North Texas finishes 7-5 I would be seriously scratching my head at the season. SMU, Rice, and utsa are pivotal games that could make or break the season. On a side note, I hope Mac didn't just hire a former buddy, buddy player of his because he was looking for a job. Making things personal in business most times than not is a bad thing. Hopefully this guy is a stud coach that has at least been proving himself at the FCS level.