Mattress Mack refunds $600,000

C Vo

I think he knows he's doing these things because it lands him so much free promotion. He is a smart guy and I remain grateful to him for his donation to UNT.

I secretly wish that we could somehow get him and Mac to reconnect the bond he had with us before. For those who may not know Mattress Mac is a celebrity businessman in Houston who is a UNT Football ex letterman and donated over 1 million to UNT football facilities.

I hope when we play Rice in Houston this season he has a special invitation to partake...be on the sidelines etc...

I think he knows he's doing these things because it lands him so much free promotion. He is a smart guy and I remain grateful to him for his donation to UNT.

I secretly wish that we could somehow get him and Mac to reconnect the bond he had with us before. For those who may not know Mattress Mac is a celebrity businessman in Houston who is a UNT Football ex letterman and donated over 1 million to UNT football facilities.

I hope when we play Rice in Houston this season he has a special invitation to partake...be on the sidelines etc...

As a Houstonian raised with Mac's commercials and Gallery Furniture, let me just say, I've had some run ins with him as have many people I know...he's just a mega, self-absorbed jerk who supports UH rather than us.

Personally, I also think he committed arson, burned down his warehouse to get the insurance money. Ever seen Gallery? He rebuilt it way over the top and has like monuments to the fire. Weird. His money is nice, but he should stay away.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Personally, I also think he committed arson, burned down his warehouse to get the insurance money. Ever seen Gallery? He rebuilt it way over the top and has like monuments to the fire. Weird. His money is nice, but he should stay away.

No, absolutely not true. The arson was committed by a disgruntled former employee. The fire was in 2009; I found this article from 2012:

Suspect in Gallery Furniture fire ruled incompetent to stand trial

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Suspect-in-Gallery-Furniture-fire-ruled-3435639.php

Mattress Mac didn't reconnect with North Texas, he connected with DD's father, and therefore DD. Even if DD had left under different circumstances (say, leaving to take a better job), Mac would have disappeared from NT. Mac doesn't stay focused on one thing for long (other than Gallery Furniture). He has spread his money around over time. Remember the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl? The West Side Tennis Club? He even dabbled in owning race horses for awhile.

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 1

No, absolutely not true. The arson was committed by a disgruntled former employee. The fire was in 2009; I found this article from 2012:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Suspect-in-Gallery-Furniture-fire-ruled-3435639.php

Mattress Mac didn't reconnect with North Texas, he connected with DD's father, and therefore DD. Even if DD had left under different circumstances (say, leaving to take a better job), Mac would have disappeared from NT. Mac doesn't stay focused on one thing for long (other than Gallery Furniture). He has spread his money around over time. Remember the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl? The West Side Tennis Club? He even dabbled in owning race horses for awhile.

I lived there when it burned down, I know the story. Thanks. Gallery Furniture is his baby.

• Downvote 5

Good post George.

Can't discuss Mattress Mac without bringing up his support when Andrew Smith died. He paid to have the entire team fly down for the funeral in Bay City.

A few years later, when Mac was being honored at a UNT Alumni Houston chapter scholarship fundraising dinner, he made a point of inviting Andrew's parents, and honoring them.

• Upvote 5

I don't recall hearing about that. How did that go?

Coach Nelson was with him and bought some furniture. And from what I heard.....Gallery's travel distance limit on delivering furniture is Dallas.....but they made an exception since Nelson coached at NT---and delivered to Denton. That's the story I heard anyway.

• Upvote 3

Coach Nelson was with him and bought some furniture. And from what I heard.....Gallery's travel distance limit on delivering furniture is Dallas.....but they made an exception since Nelson coached at NT---and delivered to Denton. That's the story I heard anyway.

Thanks, SU. It sounds like a little goodwill might have been built for the future. Who knows?

Yiou can't really say a bad thing about MM -- this guy has given a fortune to charities and is like a god in Houston and really throughout Texas. We need him to be our friend not enemy.

Have you met him?

Have you done research on his business policies?

Have you even tried to say hello to him when at Gallery? (He's at the front desk.)

Gallery Furniture doesn't even do that well anymore and has negative reviews because he's too caught up in his ego and being a "philanthropist."

This is the guy that never says a peep about attending or playing for NT, then gives a huge donation...disagrees with the AD then proceeds to threaten to the point of blackmail to make his friend feel better about getting fired. He knew we desperately wanted that money, so he knew he could control the situation and manipulate it his way.

He's a master at manipulation.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

As a Houstonian raised with Mac's commercials and Gallery Furniture, let me just say, I've had some run ins with him as have many people I know...he's just a mega, self-absorbed jerk who supports UH rather than us.

Mattress Mac just went way up in my opinion...only way he could be better is if he built his empire in the mean, racist suburbs of north Ft. Worth.

• Upvote 3

then gives a huge donation...disagrees with the AD then proceeds to threaten to the point of blackmail to make his friend feel better about getting fired. He knew we desperately wanted that money, so he knew he could control the situation and manipulate it his way.

No one here likes how he handled that, but there was a whole lot more to that situation than just some kind of power trip.

And he had good reasons (other than D.D. getting fired) to be less than thrilled with the A.D.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1