McDonald's HS All-American Nominees

Cooley

Combs had 33 points & 31 rebounds tonight ... Wow

The numbers he's putting up are ridiculous! Especially when you consider that he is only 6'7" and doesn't shoot 3-pointers. He must have really good ups and skill set, because it's not like he's a 7 foot or even 6'10" high school kid outrebounding and scoring over 6'5" posts. 31 rebounds is ridiculous regardless of competition.

Andrew, I am not to sure. I personally think they are different types of college players. The comparison is a good one though because Jordan played inside out in HS and is now a wing type forward. Combs reminded me of Big Rog (Franklin) the first time I saw him. The amount of energy this kid plays with is pretty cool to watch. He is obviously from the picture no where near Rogers frame but it was the energy and passion for the game that I loved. I think Wesley will be more of a true Forward type (Roger) than Jordan or Combs are. Either way, I am pretty excited at the team we are putting together and stand corrected on Combs being All-State not All-American. I know he hasn't received votes yet, but to be in that list is DANG impressive.

Andrew, I am not to sure. I personally think they are different types of college players. The comparison is a good one though because Jordan played inside out in HS and is now a wing type forward. Combs reminded me of Big Rog (Franklin) the first time I saw him. The amount of energy this kid plays with is pretty cool to watch. He is obviously from the picture no where near Rogers frame but it was the energy and passion for the game that I loved. I think Wesley will be more of a true Forward type (Roger) than Jordan or Combs are. Either way, I am pretty excited at the team we are putting together and stand corrected on Combs being All-State not All-American. I know he hasn't received votes yet, but to be in that list is DANG impressive.

I'm still excited about the rest of this season but assuming everyone stays and comes on board next season will be exciting as well. Jordan has definitely developed a decent outside show in his time here. I know Lundy worked with him every day on his shot so maybe at some point Combs can start to develops a little outside shot and add a few more threats to his game. Yes this will be on coaching and hopefully it can be done. He should know the basics but if the coaches can work him into an all around baller at his height he could be dangerous like Jordan. Is he a legit 6-7? He seems a bit smaller but I am unsure.

He has that 3-4" Hair going on up top., but when I saw him (last summer) I think he is legit 6'6 but who knows, give or take. I am going to try and make it to a Carter game this year, especially when play offs come around. It is hard to get to games when you coach as well.

• Upvote 1

Cooley confirmed that Combs is not a small forward. If you watch any of his highlights you can see all of his points come inside and he doesn't handle the ball much.

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but you can't turn a senior in high school into a wing player if he isn't already. You can increase Combs' range, but you aren't going to turn him into a sharpshooter from deep. You can work on his ball handling but he isn't going to be a guy you want bringing the ball up a lot or leading a fast break. Roger tried to turn himself into more of a perimeter player but the truth was he was a post. Combs should just be left at the 4 IMO. He can contribute immediately there and we have the guards to play three at a time, plus a guy like Wesley who does have small-forward skills.

Either way Combs is a great addition.

I am not saying turn him into a sharp shooter but the coaching staff needs to develops his outside game just a little hit so he can be a dual threat.

If you want to run something like the flex or the 4-1 motion which requires a big to be agile and have a little bit of a outside game. Could give us a lot of options.

Edited by Andrew

I am not saying turn him into a sharp shooter but the coaching staff needs to develops his outside game just a little hit so he can be a dual threat.

If you want to run something like the flex or the 4-1 motion which requires a big to be agile and have a little bit of a outside game. Could give us a lot of options.

Okay, but I wouldn't expect him to be able to make 3-point shots, or be allowed to take them for that matter. Maybe be able to make more 12-15 footers, not 3s.
  • Upvote 1

Just extending to the elbow would help

Yes, that's what it would be and that's all we'd need, as long as he's playing the 4. Especially in our high-low game. My point was you can't just turn him into a guy who can knock down outside shots or handle the ball with consistency to be a 3. But yes, a consistent threat at the elbow from Combs would be just great.
  • Upvote 1