You See It Everywhere It Seems

KRAM1

I was there all of last year, including the one game fiasco in Hot Springs.

Benford was terrible, RV knew it and brought Benford back for whatever reason.

I chose to spend my money elsewhere, and will continue to do so as long as UNT accepts... Failure? In their basketball program.

Don't care what anyone has to say about my fandom or lack thereof.

Seriously, Mike, are you paranoid? No one here has ever called you a crappy fan...except of course you. You can stop this self-flogging anytime you want. No one thinks you are a bad fan...no one! I may think your reasoning a bit unsound when it comes to Coach Benford and the men's team, but that hardly qualifies as calling you a bad fan. And, lots of us saw that game in Hot Springs as well...you recall that one of our leading players got himself suspended right before that game as well, right? Think that might have had something to do with the outcome and perhaps the team's mental psych just prior to the game?

Anyway...."bad fan" is not in the universe of vocabulary for you...stop the flogging!

Tuesday. Denton til probably early evening, then off to Dallas for festivities and the bowl game the following day.

Tuesday.... I should be back in Denton from San Diego...want to hook up for a noon time beer....not sure if Oak Street is open at noon time...I am usually down there a tad later, but if not maybe East Side and if not there the new joint on the Square...Lone Star Attitude...nice roof-top bar with great views of downtown Denton. Bring your buds...we can make it a pre-Mean Green Victory beer!

I think we will be crappy at basketball for as long as we have the current coach. I think he, not the players, are the problem.

I can't wait for the AD and BOR to wake up and fix an awful, awful mistake that has taken this program from the cusp of national recognition to the Trilli years at breakneck speed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Tuesday.... I should be back in Denton from San Diego...want to hook up for a noon time beer....not sure if Oak Street is open at noon time...I am usually down there a tad later, but if not maybe East Side and if not there the new joint on the Square...Lone Star Attitude...nice roof-top bar with great views of downtown Denton. Bring your buds...we can make it a pre-Mean Green Victory beer!

Sidebar. How long you going to be in San Diego after the bowl game?

I think we will be crappy at basketball for as long as we have the current coach. I think he, not the players, are the problem.

I can't wait for the AD and BOR to wake up and fix an awful, awful mistake that has taken this program from the cusp of national recognition to the Trilli years at breakneck speed.

Cusp of national recognition? Seriously? One would think a team would need to at least get to the NCAA Tournament on a consistent basis and actually win a game in the tournament before being seen as on the cusp of national recognition.

However, I do agree that the current team reminds a lot of folks of those Trillion years....I actually continued to buy season tickets and attend those years as well. Were you there at the time? Not much fun to watch, huh?

My guess, I have been to a lot more games than nearly anyone. I estimate over 500 men's games, so someone calling me out about not going to games doesn't make a lot of sense. I have missed more home games this year than the whole JJ era. I have been to one men's game this year, a fine showing against SFA.

It is just not worth the effort of at least a 2 hour drive to see a team play an awful schedule with a coach that doesn't appear to have a clue playing for an AD that won't admit that anything is wrong with the program.

I have watched a lot of bad coaches: Trilli and Tommy Newman come to mind. Some good ones including Bill Blakely, JJ and the best IMO Dan Spika. Some middle of the road: Jank, Gales and Robbins. The point with all these coaches except Trilli's last year, I felt the team had a chance to win some meaningful games.

I have not gave up entirely, I will go to some more games; maybe even all the conference games. However, I am not going to fault anyone for not attending a Benford game. I think those that go, deserve praise because presently there are not a lot of reasons to attend. Wins over what should be overmatched teams don't do a lot for me, nor do big losses to peer schools unless there is evidence that the team is getting better. I just have not seen any signs that this team is building anything positive. If that doesn't happen, you are just watching a coach that is in over his head and waiting for his termination.

• Upvote 1

oak street opens at noon every day...

Cusp of national recognition? Seriously? One would think a team would need to at least get to the NCAA Tournament on a consistent basis and actually win a game in the tournament before being seen as on the cusp of national recognition.

However, I do agree that the current team reminds a lot of folks of those Trillion years....I actually continued to buy season tickets and attend those years as well. Were you there at the time? Not much fun to watch, huh?

I think cusp of national recognition is about right. We were ranked number 2 in the preseason mid-major poll coming into the season with a chance to unseat the then number 1 team in Creighton during the first game.

Winning a tournament game would be national recognition alone.

My guess, I have been to a lot more games than nearly anyone. I estimate over 500 men's games, so someone calling me out about not going to games doesn't make a lot of sense. I have missed more home games this year than the whole JJ era. I have been to one men's game this year, a fine showing against SFA.

It is just not worth the effort of at least a 2 hour drive to see a team play an awful schedule with a coach that doesn't appear to have a clue playing for an AD that won't admit that anything is wrong with the program.

I have watched a lot of bad coaches: Trilli and Tommy Newman come to mind. Some good ones including Bill Blakely, JJ and the best IMO Dan Spika. Some middle of the road: Jank, Gales and Robbins. The point with all these coaches except Trilli's last year, I felt the team had a chance to win some meaningful games.

I have not gave up entirely, I will go to some more games; maybe even all the conference games. However, I am not going to fault anyone for not attending a Benford game. I think those that go, deserve praise because presently there are not a lot of reasons to attend. Wins over what should be overmatched teams don't do a lot for me, nor do big losses to peer schools unless there is evidence that the team is getting better. I just have not seen any signs that this team is building anything positive. If that doesn't happen, you are just watching a coach that is in over his head and waiting for his termination.

I might just be right up there with you in games watched. Agree with you about Dan Spika...one of, if not the best BB coach UNT has seen. I would also rate Blakely and JJ near the top as well. I do think Newman may have been even a poorer coach than Trilli. Trilli could as least recruit as I recall, Newman not so much.

I think this is a fair and reasonable post here GrandGreen! However, if you feel "called out", that's on you and your conscience. No one can make someone "feel" anyway...unless, of course, they allow themselves.

I have no problem, like I have said, with folks like UNT90 who stay away...my problem is with the folks who justify their non-attendance with the "but, I do support the players" crap-ola stuff. Fact is...you are not supporting anything by staying away. No need to justify it any way except that you don't care to come to games given the current state of the program. Which, I believe is your position here...no problem with that at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I might just be right up there with you in games watched. Agree with you about Dan Spika...one of, if not the best BB coach UNT has seen. I would also rate Blakely and JJ near the top as well. I do think Newman may have been even a poorer coach than Trilli. Trilli could as least recruit as I recall, Newman not so much.

I think this is a fair and reasonable post here GrandGreen! However, if you feel "called out", that's on you and your conscience. No one can make someone "feel" anyway...unless, of course, they allow themselves.

I have no problem, like I have said, with folks like UNT90 who stay away...my problem is with the folks who justify their non-attendance with the "but, I do support the players" crap-ola stuff. Fact is...you are not supporting anything by staying away. No need to justify it any way except that you don't care to come to games given the current state of the program. Which, I believe is your position here...no problem with that at all.

I could not care less about what anyone thinks about my attendance and wonder how my conscience got into this thread.

I will attempt to make it simple. No one is required to attend a NT event unless of course that is part of your job. College sports is a competition and most fans expect their team to either be competitive or building a program to a level to achieve that status. Everyone makes an attendance decision based on their dedication to NT, their expected enjoyment of the game, and the ease of attending. Frankly, if I lived in Denton; I would probably have attended all the home games despite the low expectations of team success.

The only reason I mentioned the number of games attended, it was not an attempt to qualify as a true fan in Kram's world, is to demonstrate that even the most dedicated of fans are being turned off by the Benford fiasco. There is always a little hope, but the second year of Benford; currently has the feel of the last years of Trilli and Stephenson. Nothing is being accomplished but the passage of times, till the AD is forced to make a change.

• Upvote 1

Anybody catch the Wisconsin or Memphis games today? Two top 20 teams in some real challenges today.

Our schedule itself and the easy teams we've played are not the problem. It's that the two NAIA teams we've played both had a game tying 3-point shot attempt in the last minute against us and that our marquee home opponent this year was SFA who drummed us by almost 40 points.

You really need to go running if this game interests you at all. You don't think the # 20 team might beat an NAIA squad by more than some totally un-ranked and struggling to find themselves D1 team might, not to mention playing THIS NAIA team as opposed to a pretty darn good NAIA team with some D1talent? Seriously? All to try to make a negative point about your own program perhaps? Nope...not going to help you out with that one...do your own dirty work if you will...this thing called the internet is magic...just filled with info if you know where to look.

Good grief, are we really to the point where the "but they were a good NAIA team" rationalization is being used...?

• Upvote 1

And....#3 Ohio State takes on the power of La-Monroe and pulls out a 71-31 win!

And...#19 North Carolina "escapes" Northern Ky 75-60.

I guess these guys are just trying to pad their RPI's by taking on these powerhouse teams? I'll bet all their fans stayed away from these marquee games so they could support the players.

Edit: Oh, I forgot the :-) at the end. That makes it just a joke and everyone should just see it as funny, right? HeHe!

One difference, they demolish their creampuffs. We make ours look like mid majors.

We're a creampuff's creampuff. Awesome!

So You can only demolish a creampuff if you're a Top 20 team?

One might...just might...believe that a top 20 team would be able to beat a lower level program with a bigger margin of victory than a struggling D1 program. Guess that concept never crossed your mind, huh?

• Downvote 1

One might...just might...believe that a top 20 team would be able to beat a lower level program with a bigger margin of victory than a struggling D1 program. Guess that concept never crossed your mind, huh?

You never addressed the fact that we are seriously rationalizing our inability to convincingly beat teams from 3 divisions below us.

• Upvote 3