Mayfield to OU, let’s talk UNT QBs

Harry

I was told by a player on the team that dajon was beating out DT in fall camp until the coaches opened up the playbook. He seemed really excited about the big play potential dajon has with all the things he has seen in practice.

He said Brock's biggest problem, besides his injury setback, was he was trying to do to much out there and was careless with the ball. He said, "if he would stop trying to do that johnny manziel shit out there he would've been the starter hands down"

I have heard the same from several players and those close to the program. Almost word for word...

All we are seeing with Greer is we brought another guy into the mix to compete. It is going to be very interesting... I will be up in Denton to check out spring ball as much as I can. This will be fun. Whomever wins the job, just like this past fall, wil be our best option. Different players have different strengths. Brock and Dajon's arms and wheels are intriguing. Frankly, I see mcnulty as a very solid athlete also. I know nothing about Greer and means.

This will be fun, and hopefully I will be able to check out some practice. I am sure all of us will have some opinions along the way, but I trust Mac and Chico to choose the best man for the job, regardless of who it ends up being.

I have heard the same from several players and those close to the program. Almost word for word...

Sounds like if Brock can just learn to play within the offense then he will have a chance.

Flashiness impresses fans, but consistency impresses coaches. Gotta do the latter before you can do the former. Brock is my darkhorse because he has shown the ability in practice, just needs to stay healthy and put it all together in the spring.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like if Brock can just learn to play within the offense then he will have a chance.

Flashiness impresses fans, but consistency impresses coaches. Gotta do the latter before you can do the former. Brock is my darkhorse because he has shown the ability in practice, just needs to stay healthy and put it all together in the spring.

I couldn't agree more. I think we have great options going into next year no matter what direction the coaching staff wants to go. We need a qb who can go out there and carry the rest of the team to victory. I think Dajon, Brock, and Greer all have that ability. Outside of the Ball St game this year we really didn't see that from DT. He had a better season then anyone expected, but there is no doubt in my mind that the qb next year will be a significant upgrade.

• Upvote 1

Hope its not a multi headed attack next year.

With QB's, if you don't have one you don't have any.

Generally true of placekickers also.

I couldn't agree more. I think we have great options going into next year no matter what direction the coaching staff wants to go. We need a qb who can go out there and carry the rest of the team to victory. I think Dajon, Brock, and Greer all have that ability. Outside of the Ball St game this year we really didn't see that from DT. He had a better season then anyone expected, but there is no doubt in my mind that the qb next year will be a significant upgrade.

I was on record several times saying it would be an upgrade at qb next year, but I am going to slow thst down till after the spring game.

physically there will be an upgrade. DT had composure and pocket pressence. Not easy to obtain. He knew the system and was smart. This is important because there are suttle tweaks and changes week to week. We may not see them, but they are there. Even if its a change in signals, audibles, snap counts, etc. you dont have a lot if time to learn this from week to week. If we were truly a smash mouth team, we could get away with it, but we are not. not giving up sacks is also huge. The line gets credit, but DT should also. I have seen many times where a qb with all the talent in the world just takes horrible sacks because if confusion and inability to read defenses.

DT wasnt super athletic, but teams still did not blitz us a lot. Was it because he was smart and a senior? I would bet our new qb sees some pressure...at least early in the season, until we prove we can hurt them.

I was told by a player on the team that dajon was beating out DT in fall camp until the coaches opened up the playbook. He seemed really excited about the big play potential dajon has with all the things he has seen in practice.

He said Brock's biggest problem, besides his injury setback, was he was trying to do to much out there and was careless with the ball. He said, "if he would stop trying to do that johnny manziel shit out there he would've been the starter hands down"

After the spring game that was almost exactly the same thing that i said. I said that BB spent too much time trying to show off, and not enough time concentrating on the mechanics of the plays.

My assessment after spring practice (and spring game) was that McNulty was the better of the three.

Even when Berglund came into the was it the UTEP game for a couple of plays? you could just tell by him handing the ball of the quickness that he brings...which of course forces the defense to react quicker and commit one way or the other... I hope they will open up the spring practices as it will be extremely interesting to watch how this battle plays out.

I find it odd that people on this board can so vehemently announce a starter for next season when I am guessing no one here was in every practice during the season. To base it solely on what we saw in mop up time seems a bit ambitious IMO. I don't know how any of us can have a real good assessment of the situation. But that is just me.

I have no idea who will start but I am still so intrigued by the fact Brock was rated in between Johnny Football and Evert Golson coming out of HS. I know, I know, I know that pretty much makes me stupid. But it is just so intriguing to me.

One thing is FOR SURE. Please Coach Mac. I beg of you and pray to everything that is good a just PLEASE DO NOT ROTATE QBS!!! Please, I beg of you!!

What is the old saying? If you are playing 2 QB's you don't have 1 good one? Or something like that.

After reading four pages on this thread, it is clear to me that we have a lot of people on this board that do not like black people.

you guys disgust me.

I am going to go eat a blueberry donut.

Is this a bit? where did that come from? If it is a bit, then it doesn't seem funny to me.

Edited by outoftown

Even when Berglund came into the was it the UTEP game for a couple of plays? you could just tell by him handing the ball of the quickness that he brings...which of course forces the defense to react quicker and commit one way or the other... I hope they will open up the spring practices as it will be extremely interesting to watch how this battle plays out.

Now there is a projection i can confidently make: practices being opened next spring has 0% chance of happening (apart from maybe one open practice so BV etc can shoot a little film for propaganda purposes).