Oklahoma (11/11/13)

CMJ

I'm definitely willing to give them a chance this season, but basketball is a funny sport. If I remember correctly, during the Trilli years, we went down to College Station very early in the season and lost by less than 5 points.

I thought, "Wow. We might actually win some games this season." Well, instead we ended up going 4-24 or something like that.

As far as moral victories go, last year against St. Louis was a pretty strong one as well. Another example of why moral victories are pointless if you don't get the results

One game doesn't mean much especially in basketball. St Louis last year might have been their best game but Benford had a NBA caliber player so in my view, last year was a complete disaster.

I doubt OU turns out to be a good club by Big 12 standards, but for NT playing away; they did a lot better than I assumed. I think the Williams and Jones are all better than average CUSA players and if NT can find a few more they might be at least average in the league. Coleman's play is very encouraging, but someone else is going to have to show up in the front court.

One game doesn't mean much especially in basketball. St Louis last year might have been their best game but Benford had a NBA caliber player so in my view, last year was a complete disaster.

I doubt OU turns out to be a good club by Big 12 standards, but for NT playing away; they did a lot better than I assumed. I think the Williams and Jones are all better than average CUSA players and if NT can find a few more they might be at least average in the league. Coleman's play is very encouraging, but someone else is going to have to show up in the front court.

Gaines will when he gets healthy

• Upvote 1

Oklahoma beat a good Alabama team and is only slotted behind Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Baylor in the big 12. And those three teams are top 25 contenders.

Only if that fan was a voodoo witch doctor or some medicine healer. Otherwise NO. Its not intramurals or high school or junior high

ITS DIVISION 1 BASKETBALL!!!!

Which is why we deserved a competent coach last season instead of what we got. Chances like that don't come around very often for mid majors. Damn shame we squandered it with a bad hire.

Judging by the nose dive in actual attendance last season it should be easy to find parking this season so I guess I can give Benford props for that.

Which is why we deserved a competent coach last season instead of what we got. Chances like that don't come around very often for mid majors. Damn shame we squandered it with a bad hire.

Judging by the nose dive in actual attendance last season it should be easy to find parking this season so I guess I can give Benford props for that.

Give me a reason how you find Benford incompetent? I want coaching specifics too. Don't give me this lame crap like o well we had a winning team the year before. I want to know why you think his scheme and the way he coaches is incompetent?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Give me a reason how you find Benford incompetent? I want coaching specifics too. Don't give me this lame crap like o well we had a winning team the year before. I want to know why you think his scheme and the way he coaches is incompetent?

You might as well not even try. The haters gonna hate. Differences of opinion not welcome here...not even when confronted with facts. Haters never let facts get in the way of pure opinion.

But, as some constantly point out...and which is true...this is a fan opinion board.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Good grief. I hope and think Benford has a descent chance to turn it around this year, but last year was a complete disaster. I wonder if any of you defending Benford's first season ever went to a game. I went to every home game, and witnessed a coach who appeared not to have a glue in most games. If you actually watched the team last year and listened to him, and you must have further proof he was in over his head; than there is nothing anybody can point out that is going to change your position on his ability.

The good news is he can get much better, and the last game was encouraging.

Ya I guess your right, but by everybody's standards UNT should have fired Jones after back to back losing seasons. Instead they stuck with him and that turned out okay.

The difference is when JJ came in we were coming off a 20-87 stretch over four years. Yes...His first season we were over .500 which got him a huge leash (along with...you know that 19% clip we won at before he got here....mediocrity seemed like salvation). HOWEVER, the 2006-2007 season began with more than a few folks saying it was a make or break season for Jones. He succeeded.

Benford inherited a team where the previous four years we won at over a 66% clip....with a squad returning that had been within about 90 seconds away from being in the NCAA tournament and had a future NBA player on its roster.

Listen, I was straight up calling for Benford or RV to go back in February. I have calmed down a bit, but this is still inexcusable and Benford gets no pass from me. He needs to at least be .500 or better or deserves to be let go. If we absolutely tank like UNT90 believes and we still don't fire him, then we need to think long and hard about why we're spending money on improvements to the Super Pit if we're not gonna find a coach who can win there.