NORTH...TEXAS chant observation

BIG DAWG

To address your points:

1. The students appear to hear the band just fine. They participate. I sit across the stadium and I also hear the band just fine. I'm pretty sure everyone else hears them too as they start it up WAY before the opponents line up on 3rd/4th down.

The entire point of the "FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT", part of that chant is to produce sustained noise. It's perfect. You don't have to keep saying "FIGHT", but it's a good way to get the noise going. What would be REALLY COOL, but is currently not working, is people actually yelling "NORTH TEXAS!" when they're supposed to during this chant. It's right there. It's already being done. It's not going anywhere. All it needs is PARTICIPATION!

2. I think citing road games is silly. I don't think traditions form on the road. I also don't think a group of ~150 fans (however coordinated) would produce enough noise at an away game to do anything substantial. Those reasons aside, we should have something that ~150 fans can do at an away game without the band, sure. But what?

EDIT: I take this back. I'm thinking of the SMU series... with the way they put minimal butts in seats, and the way I would expect the Mean Green faithful to show up down there, I think this would be valuable in turning Ford into Apogee South.

I understand what you're looking for and I agree, there is a need. They are two separate issues though. One is close to being successful. The other is a dream (for now).

1. There is a perfectly good chant under our noses and the alumni side ignores it. Is it because we (collective we) don't know about it? Probably. This can be changed. We're closer to this being a success than...

2. There is a need for a non-band-prompted chant that, so far, people want to designate/incorporate the "North...Texas" chant into. This is a non-existent chant (for now), but is the one you're looking for. This one can be done at the away games. Seems we're a long way away from this one being a reality though.

Why not focus on the one that is so close to working, so we can get crowd momentum (re: desire, or want-to) to develop the 2nd one you're looking for?

I like this one, too. I sit in 208 and participate in it---but probably not every time it's done. There are a LOT of 3rd downs in a game, man! :) I do yell at the end of it, every time, to help the defense. I do think there is a crowd fatigue factor at play here. The kind of chant that it seems like FFR and others are going for is one that is only done a few times a game---or maybe only after scoring drives are completed (what KSU does). We might go through the 3rd down chant 4-5 times on a single drive. It's the kind of chant that works perfectly in the rabid fan/student section (if you watch soccer, think Timber's Army, etc). Those folks are up on their feet singing and chanting the entire game....while the ENTIRE crowd may join them once or twice a game.

You could do something similar with the cheerleaders circling their arms in the air starting with a long Noooooooooooooth, until everyone joins in the crescendo getting louder and louder until they drop their arms and everyone in unison spells out T - E - X - A - S....TEXAS!! Kind of a take-off of the Memphis Tigers chant you mentioned that I also thought they did a good job of when we played them in the New Orleans Bowl.

Clemson does the same thing

• 11 months later...

Students: Nooooorth Teeexxaaas

Alumni: Nooooorth Teeexxaaas

Repeat 3 times

End in unison with: GO MEAN GREEN!

Students: Noooooorth

Alumni: Teeexxaaas

Students: Goooooo

Alumni: Meeean

Unison: GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Repeat if desired, but always only 3 times in the pattern.

• Upvote 7