Think Things Aren't Changing?

KRAM1

You know, after responding to MoGreens slap at the Alumni Association and doing my usual "glass half full" thing, it dawns on me what a positive change we see right here on GMG.Com regarding watch parties. Right here we have had threads about watch parties set up in:

Denton -multiple locations

Collin County

Dallas

San Antonio

Arizona.

So, how long has it been since we have seen anything like this in numbers? Long time I believe. So, sure not as many as some folks and smaller crowds than some, but it is a very positive sign of the momentum for support for the Mean Green that is building. And, in a few of these locations, we have dedicated folks who have stepped up to make sure these sort of events continue to build and become "must do" events for more and more alums.

Well done, folks...really a great sign and speaks volumes about where the ship is headed for the future.

Have a great time folks...Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 7

I think what everybody has to remember - be they "glass half empty" or "glass half full" - is that the Alumni Association's success is mostly determined by its members, who are...duh...alumni. We have a decent, though small, office staff, who cover the bases as expected by members/alums, but the only way real change can come is if alumni choose to be a part of the positive change you're talking about.

In essence, putting down the Alumni Association (if you're an alum) is putting yourself and/or other alumni down for not making an effort. The only way I see this not being the case is if you tried to be involved and were somehow, for some reason, shut out. But aside from that unlikely/rare occurrence, remember that the UNTAA isn't responsible for decisions made by the Athletics Department, Regents, or anybody else. They can try to put some pressure in here and there, but without more people involved and active, that pressure is not very strong.

So if you went to Mark or Rob or somebody else heavily involved and wanted to do something, and they said, "Hey, screw you buddy, go away," then I'd see how you could be mad. But neither one of them knew me at all when I started looking into making things happen, and they've helped out a lot, even more than I've asked, so I don't see how that seems likely.

Even for those like MoGreen who are more involved and committed than others, we all have to remember that the Association is only as strong as the members make it. If alumni aren't involved, aren't excited, aren't helping...there's only so much you can do to convince them otherwise. The best we can do is keep carrying on as best as possible, do as much as each of us can/chooses, and hope it catches on a bit more. The fact is, the people who are responsible for our frustrations are those who don't want to even show up. But with more of us showing up, and helping out, and organizing, we do have a little bit of momentum...and even a little is a lot more than we used to have!

So with more of us trying to get others involved, we can get more momentum and more members and eventually, more pull when we eventually have more than just our core group of people actively working towards any given goal(s). The only way for this to happen is to stay consistent, and to know that even if you're the only one sometimes, that's still a small victory because just by trying, you're helping more than most people have done over the years! It's true...frustrations about lack of growth and numbers aside, for all of us who REALLY care to just show up and maybe put together an event, we've already achieved a lot more than the status quo...not a big win, but a small one that has potential to grow!

Go Mean Green Alumni! (I feel like I should say "Wonder Twin Powers Activate" or something after that.)

• Upvote 4

I think what everybody has to remember - be they "glass half empty" or "glass half full" - is that the Alumni Association's success is mostly determined by its members, who are...duh...alumni. We have a decent, though small, office staff, who cover the bases as expected by members/alums, but the only way real change can come is if alumni choose to be a part of the positive change you're talking about.

In essence, putting down the Alumni Association (if you're an alum) is putting yourself and/or other alumni down for not making an effort. The only way I see this not being the case is if you tried to be involved and were somehow, for some reason, shut out. But aside from that unlikely/rare occurrence, remember that the UNTAA isn't responsible for decisions made by the Athletics Department, Regents, or anybody else. They can try to put some pressure in here and there, but without more people involved and active, that pressure is not very strong.

So if you went to Mark or Rob or somebody else heavily involved and wanted to do something, and they said, "Hey, screw you buddy, go away," then I'd see how you could be mad. But neither one of them knew me at all when I started looking into making things happen, and they've helped out a lot, even more than I've asked, so I don't see how that seems likely.

Even for those like MoGreen who are more involved and committed than others, we all have to remember that the Association is only as strong as the members make it. If alumni aren't involved, aren't excited, aren't helping...there's only so much you can do to convince them otherwise. The best we can do is keep carrying on as best as possible, do as much as each of us can/chooses, and hope it catches on a bit more. The fact is, the people who are responsible for our frustrations are those who don't want to even show up. But with more of us showing up, and helping out, and organizing, we do have a little bit of momentum...and even a little is a lot more than we used to have!

So with more of us trying to get others involved, we can get more momentum and more members and eventually, more pull when we eventually have more than just our core group of people actively working towards any given goal(s). The only way for this to happen is to stay consistent, and to know that even if you're the only one sometimes, that's still a small victory because just by trying, you're helping more than most people have done over the years! It's true...frustrations about lack of growth and numbers aside, for all of us who REALLY care to just show up and maybe put together an event, we've already achieved a lot more than the status quo...not a big win, but a small one that has potential to grow!

Go Mean Green Alumni! (I feel like I should say "Wonder Twin Powers Activate" or something after that.)

[wipes tear from eye]

-signed me, a UNTAA employee.

...the only way real change can come is if alumni choose to be a part of the positive change you're talking about.

This is the absolute truth. It is up to the alumni. UNT's alumni--hopefully--are starting to wake up and realize that. This place HAS to get out of the "it's the AD's/coaching staff's/BOR's responsibility to..." mentality. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know what their job is. It's the same as at every place. The way you move your program forward and KEEP it moving forward is through the alumni--REGARDLESS of what any of those groups do.

• Upvote 2

This is the absolute truth. It is up to the alumni. UNT's alumni--hopefully--are starting to wake up and realize that. This place HAS to get out of the "it's the AD's/coaching staff's/BOR's responsibility to..." mentality. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know what their job is. It's the same as at every place. The way you move your program forward and KEEP it moving forward is through the alumni--REGARDLESS of what any of those groups do.

Yep!

Amen bro Jesse, it was the ex's due to the exposure on TV & the ex's wanting to get together that did most (ie. if not all of these get togethers) of these watching parties. To the alumni assn. What are you doing to expidite this movement for the last 30 years or even this last weekend? SO KRAM what did the assn. do to foster the ex's getting together this last weekend- since you seem to want to have a say in everything. By the way Kram you left off the one with ex's in Wash st. Your loosing your grip dude just like the functioning of the alumni assn.

Rob is trying to compile a compter listing for email's for the next event (ie. no listing did exist as of last week). To Rob, thanks for coming to our aid.

By the way, several advancement personel called me about the school taking over the ex's at the function prior to the last game. I feel working with them all of us will see POA's and more direction for our ex's in Texas and other areas' with that happening.

Now, answering this (ie.as you will) for us that would like to have functions with other ex's put you assn's POA ( plan of action- I figured you wouldn't know what this was) in the thread for the this year through 5 years. Along with, how are you going to do this!

But, with you talk is cheap action is...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree completely, because when you have large alumni involvement, the BOR and the UNT administration FEEL the pressure to win. There is none without Alumni involvement, and if the alumni don't care, why should the BOR and the administration?

This is where we have been forever. Hopefully times will change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree completely, because when you have large alumni involvement, the BOR and the UNT administration FEEL the pressure to win. There is none without Alumni involvement, and if the alumni don't care, why should the BOR and the administration?

This is where we have been forever. Hopefully times will change.

Yep!