UNT Board of regents leftovers and slides

Harry

I covered the basics of what was said and done at the UNT board of regents meeting yesterday when the school inched closer to adding a baseball program and added some extra money to the budget for summer school.

But there were some other items of interest. Here are a few other highlights we have yet to cover:

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/09/board-of-regents-leftovers-and-presentation-slides.html/

Goals for football and basketball are to be average.

And in basketball, giving 3 years to reach average, which would be Benford's 4th year in a 5 year contract. Coincidence? I think not. Bedford could win 5 games this year and still not lose his job.

If there were a true commitment to athletics, the fee would have been raised (even though idiot GLTG says that it can't) and the goals would have been for much more than average.

I really don't see a lot of good news from this, as it appears its business as usual. You know, don't offend those Who hate athletics too bad anD maybe they won't say bad things about you.

Don't raise the student fee, which any school serious about being competitive would have done, because there may

be a critical op-ed piece about it in the DRC or student paper.

Here is the deal. We need to be increasing this at every opportunity so we can go back to the legislature and get them to take the stadium payoff stipulation off this fee, 2 things could happen otherwise. 1) Legislators could assume since we haven't raised the fee, $10 per hour is all we need or 2) One of the many anti-UNT athletic groups in Denton could atTempt to get the legislation ammended to cap the fee at $10, citing the fact that we haven't raised the fee as a clear indication that $10 is all we need.

We should be pushing this fee up EVERY chance we get to show the legislators that it is sorely needed and with an eye to making it permanent. Hard to make a case for permanence when you don't even take advantage of the very small amount of latitude (compared to other state university's athletic fee) allotted by a legislature that put a choke hold on legislation that no one opposed...

I swear to God, exactly what the F does Lee Jackson EVER do for athletics. Couldn't he have at least defended the freaking athletic fee? Jeez.

We increased the athletic budget 11 percent this year. Big whoop. If we Wre serious, we would have found a way to increase it at least 20 percent, you know, like by raising the student fee.

Same ole same ole in Denton. Strive for mediocrity.

EDIT: And I guess that extra 3 million didn't make it out of the "special" committee. Great. If that was earmarked to help pay for a baseball stadium, it's clear that isn't happening if you think we get baseball by 2015, you are living a pipe dream.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

How pathetic. Really ....our goal is to make the postseason in BB once every 6 years. Reallly ?

It's about protecting Benford and therefore protecting RV, the most un-fireable man in America. I'm surprised he does as much as he does for the program, frankly, as its clear that no matter what he does, he won't lose his job.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7

That is the saddest thing I ever saw.

A commitment to be average in CUSA, you think they could have raised their sights a bit. I am really embarrassed of UNT now. Kind of makes me want to send my season tickets back.

No commitment to excellence but instead to be mediocre, how in the hell do they expect anyone to ever donate to a program with those goals?

I want to puke

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If anyone ever doubted that RV will be here the next 10 years, s imply look at theses goals. Did the special committee that was going to review goals for the AD with RV actually allows these crap standards? It would be very interesting to know what was said when these meetings took place and who said it.

It looks like RV dumbing down expectations for job security.

Lord knows he has that at UNT.

Maybe we all should just get to know him...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ya know...then send your tickets back...quit coming to the games...if that's what will make ya'll happy, do it...

i'm fine with our school...we will never be atm...or ut...and i like that...

you think those schools allow the core group of fans to play flag football on their home field...softball at their stadium??? hell no...

yes, we are a small school in the grand scheme of things, even though our enrollment says otherwise...

north texas just isn't a sports powerhouse like some other schools...deal with it...or bitch all you want to try and change something that never will...

we have our school...we can really call it ours...unlike some other schools due to the massive amounts of fair weather fans/tshirt fans/bandwagon fans...

take what we have and enjoy the shiat out of it!!!

i may be in the minority, but i like how we are currently...new stadium...excitement...yet still small enough where we can approach the ad and he may actually know our name due to the amount of times we've chatted with him, yet we give in the very little yearly to the club...

north texas is my school to enjoy and have fun at...and i do...do i want better athletically? sure...but i also understand the limitations...and don't give me this shiat about having such fertile football grounds in texas and that we should be able to recruit with the best of them...we can't...it's ok...it's only football...much more important things in life...

enjoy our school...the games...the camraderie...the fun that we get to have...it's just sports...

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 6

Before anybody else reacts to this, please read Vito's post and not UNT90's frustrated view. President Rawlins said he wants the athletic budget to rank in the top half of C-USA.

Other goals

• Football - finish in top half at least half the time
  • Basketball - finish in top half of conference over a three-year span, and be in postseason at least once every six years (have to assume after conference tournament)
  • All other sports - at least two teams in postseason every year

<p>

Before anybody else reacts to this, please read Vito's post and not UNT90's frustrated view. President Rawlins said he wants the athletic budget to rank in the top half of C-USA.

Other goals

• Basketball - finish in top half of conference over a three-year span, and be in postseason at least once every six years (have to assume after conference tournament)

90 doesn't read. Or can't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

ya know...then send your tickets back...quit coming to the games...if that's what will make ya'll happy, do it...

you think those schools allow the core group of fans to play flag football on their home field...softball at their stadium??? hell no...

yes, we are a small school in the grand scheme of things, even though our enrollment says otherwise...

north texas just isn't a sports powerhouse like some other schools...deal with it...or bitch all you want to try and change something that never will...

we have our school...we can really call it ours...unlike some other schools due to the massive amounts of fair weather fans/tshirt fans/bandwagon fans...

i may be in the minority, but i like how we are currently...new stadium...excitement...yet still small enough where we can approach the ad and he may actually know our name due to the amount of times we've chatted with him, yet we give in the very little yearly to the club...

north texas is my school to enjoy and have fun at...and i do...do i want better athletically? sure...but i also understand the limitations...and don't give me this shiat about having such fertile football grounds in texas and that we should be able to recruit with the best of them...we can't...it's ok...it's only football...much more important things in life...

enjoy our school...the games...the camraderie...the fun that we get to have...it's just sports...

You are kidding right?

• Upvote 2

No, we should just raise a fee that we have every right to raise that would also help us win. We should also have a committee get with RV and come up with the bright idea to be average. What an outstanding 5 year plan that is. I guess you are OK with RV protecting a paycheck.

If access to the AD for minimal giving is what you are after, you are definitely at the right university. Just don't expect to win. Ever.

If your good with that, more power to you. I am not.

I'm so sick and tired of 90. Ever looked at the premier schools and how much of the budget is provided by student fees?

No, of course not because you're Chicken Little.

Really sad that you're as old as my parents but about as mature as my 13 year old brother.

Maybe you should grow up

• Upvote 2

<p>

Other goals

Right, in case any one doesn't understand, being in the top half of the conference at least half the time means being in the bottom half of conference half the time is acceptable.

That's pretty much the definition of average.

Now, about that student fee that wasn't raised...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Other goals

That is the saddest thing I ever read

I'm so sick and tired of 90. Ever looked at the premier schools and how much of the budget is provided by student fees?

No, of course not because you're Chicken Little.

Really sad that you're as old as my parents but about as mature as my 13 year old brother.

I know you are but what am I?

Nanananabooboo.