When you look at the crowd today...

emmitt01

This is how I feel. No one from the athletics department should ever complain about attendance when there appears to be little to no effort being done.

Well, "appears" seems to be the operative word here.

Thought the crowd was a little disappointing for a home opener. Sure the heat hurt, but thought we would see more students than we did given tat about 4,000 turned out for the pep rally. Thought t he Alumni side, what I could see of it, was just OK. Less than I expected. But, remember announced attendance will include all season ticket holders whether they were present or not and every student ID scanned no matter how long they stayed. Doubtful I could have lasted long on the student side in that blazing sun and heat.

While the heat probably hurt Idaho more that the Mean Green, I do think it worked against attendance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rick, do you have a pix behind you and to the left. From upstairs it looked fairly full there. Also, our CUSA games will draw more, especially the Texas teams. Wondering how they will get all students in the student sections and what will happen to those three sections the students filled up tonight?

Rick, do you have a pix behind you and to the left. From upstairs it looked fairly full there. Also, our CUSA games will draw more, especially the Texas teams. Wondering how they will get all students in the student sections and what will happen to those three sections the students filled up tonight?

Nothing, they aren't enforcing it.

The attendance was the same as Southern.

Also, the heat kept the students away. It was painfully hot. It was still an excellent student turnout. There will be more versus Ball state.

I thought you told us the student allotment was all taken and students were going to come in droves to this one.

And I am VERY happy about the big win. But attendance does matter. If we can fill that stadium (with ticket buyers) then maybe some day we can drop these damn body bag games. Ya know?

It was. But they didn't show up. I know A LOT of people who held tickets but didn't go.

Attendance will be 21K.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Well, "appears" seems to be the operative word here.

Thought the crowd was a little disappointing for a home opener. Sure the heat hurt, but thought we would see more students than we did given tat about 4,000 turned out for the pep rally. Thought t he Alumni side, what I could see of it, was just OK. Less than I expected. But, remember announced attendance will include all season ticket holders whether they were present or not and every student ID scanned no matter how long they stayed. Doubtful I could have lasted long on the student side in that blazing sun and heat.

While the heat probably hurt Idaho more that the Mean Green, I do think it worked against attendance.

Mark, you're lucky I've reached my max -1's. The fact that you would even dignify this issue with response is baffling to me. LET IT GO, please. I love ya Mark, but this is an absurd issue. Fu@$*&^ sh&%!!! We won 40-6. You're the biggest cheerleader ever, and I side with you on everything. Just enjoy the win, and drop this topic.

• Upvote 2

I don't know how many students get on GMG.com but if you or any one you know was there and sat on the student side you are deserving of a hell of a lot of praise and I applaude you and thank you. I was very impressed with every single person that sat on that side.

First common sense statement made. From a huge supporter that isn't even alumni. Thank you

• Upvote 1

So the students are pussies? Or don't care about their school? Or both?

Explain.

Both and those who stay outside the stadium should be arrested for loitering, and id's checked as well. If they choose to make it a party during the game throw them in jail. Enforce this so we can have a real college atmosphere or let them go toot their horns elsewhere.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

Mark, you're lucky I've reached my max -1's. The fact that you would even dignify this issue with response is baffling to me. LET IT GO, please. I love ya Mark, but this is an absurd issue. Fu@$*&^ sh&%!!! We won 40-6. You're the biggest cheerleader ever, and I side with you on everything. Just enjoy the win, and drop this topic.

Ha..works for me, Grant...but lay off those -1's. LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Student side was about 1,000 to 2,000 shy of what I thought it would be tonight. It was miserably hot in the sun, though. Great job of support by the UNT students who were there tonight and there was a good number of them at Apogee.

Lest we forget, we are still a program that has had an 8 season losing streak in a DFW area that has always had the "winners town" mentality and that attitude (along with those 8 losing seasons) has taken its toll, but the good news is this..... we still have about 22,000 from which to build on. (Had the Texas Tech Red Raiders been our opponent tonight we would have had about 34,000 fans at fabulous Apogee Stadium).

For what its worth, we have a 1 game winning streak going on so lets keep a perspective on our Idaho win but for certain it was the kind of win we needed to have in a bad way. Ohio U will tell us more about our team and where it needs to further improve. Ours is a work in progress but even more good news for the MG Nation is we have more talent now for there to be further progress.

Tonight we saw a 5'th year senior QB take command of his team along with a good game plan and look what it produced? :) Dajon is a talent to reckon with. Can't you just see how he has that intangible that makes for anywhere from a good to a great college QB? We cannot have enough QB's since they can start going down like flies, though. We have some QB talent on this team.

Still....is it this? I think a complete focus on family of 4 sales to put more Denton County families in the Wing Section is where we are missing the boat with our attendance building. It the Wing Section is full of families with their kids we aren't even talking attendance anymore but rather.....when do we start the Apogee expansion.

Want to know who a depressed fan base will be this week? Texas State beat Southern Miss tonight.

Did McNeese State beat South Florida tonight or did I dream that?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guys we've been bad for a really long time. The fact that we can still get 18-22k is still remarkable in my opinion. Like I've always said that if you win and put people in a good mood when they leave the stadium, that has a huge effect in future games and overall school pride and morale. I thought the students did a great job in that they were really wholeheartedly in the game from beginning to end. I sat near the student side for a little bit and they were into the game. Just keep on winning and attendance will take care of itself.

Both and those who stay outside the stadium should be arrested for loitering, and id's checked as well. If they choose to make it a party during the game throw them in jail. Enforce this so we can have a real college atmosphere or let them go toot their horns elsewhere.

That create a negative backlash. Yes I wish those people didn't do that but let's just keep on winning and eventually those people will want to come inside the stadium. We need to make more friends right now, not more enemies.

• Upvote 4

What a b.s. statement and I am tired of the "throw their asses in jail comments." I hate it too, but it happens everywhere. Let it go.

I applaud those kids on the student side and the band. I would have had a hard time sitting in that sun.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I guess we should have come up with that french fry promotion after all. Nice win regardless. In all honesty, I hope we get a large parking garage near the stadium ASAP, because there truly are a lot of wimps and older (and fatter) people who just aren't willing to do the long heat walk that they could avoid when we were at Fouts. We're losing out on some of our marginal fans until we either win like Hell, or the walk is more comfortable for those types.