A Little NT Love

KRAM1

Since we had thread discussing some random Baylor fan's lack of knowledge I thought I just start one describing my experience wearing Mean Green gear while in the Chicago area this weekend. I sit at O'Hare waiting for our return flight with a bit Mean Green grin on my face. I had no less than six people come up to me in Chicago and in Indiana ( went there for a family function this weekend) and want to talk Mean Green. Two grads and three folks who knew of Coach Mac and wanted to talk a bit of UNT football. Then there was the guy who saw the shirt and thought "North Texas" was out near El Paso! Hey, can't win 'em all.

I can tell you that it NEVER fails...whether in the US somewhere or as recently as in Costa Rica, when I wear my Mean Green Gear (which is pretty darn often on my trips) I always have people come up and want to talk UNT...no, not always athletics, but UNT. Really makes me proud of being a member of the Mean Green Nation.

BTW ... One guy was right across the street from DePaul University in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago (yes, I was in that area going to The Wieners Circle Hot Dogs...if you know about this place, you know...if not goggle it you will laugh your rear off...unless folks having some fun...yes fun...with "racial" things and salty language...the dogs are great...the routine is unique to say the least). The guy was doing grad work at DePaul after undergrad at UNT.

Wonder if I had been wearing Baylor stuff if anyone would have cared? Doubtful!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

not sure which terminal .... near gate c22 ... near united club

Rats..I think United is in terminal 2... American is Terminal 3....was hoping we had time to gab a beer! Safe journey...Go Mean Green!

Edited by KRAM1

Y'all must have brought back luck to my Cubbies !!

Did not have tickets but the bride and I went to Murphy's for a beer and then the Goose Island Brew Pub at Wrigleyville for a cold 312 ... Or Two, and some pork sliders. Right in the shadow of Wrigley at game time...as always...GREAT atmosphere!

I think its terminal 1 bit its a huge airport. Im heading back home to Richmond VA but I did get my ticket to come to Denton for the Idaho game.

Indeed...close miss here...glad you will be in Denton for the Idaho game...we are heading back to Denton. Safe flight!

Was in Columbia Falls, Montana last summer visiting some family and wore an NT shirt into the grocery store and someone came up to me and said he was from Frisco and went to UNT. He was at his summer vacation home and asked if I had been to the new stadium and was excited about it.

Columbia Falls is pop 4,600.

We've got more fans in more places than many think.

This is not a joke.

I met a guy in Mexico who use to live in Denton. (I can only assume as an illegal but he didn't say that) He saw my t-shirt and came over to talk. He was cool and I couldn't stop laughing. He said he missed the girls. I laughed even harder after that. He said he lived off Bonnie Brae. (Cement City?) He said he moved back to be with his family and be a waiter. I was drinking and bought him a drink. Good times.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Since we had thread discussing some random Baylor fan's lack of knowledge I thought I just start one describing my experience wearing Mean Green gear while in the Chicago area this weekend. I sit at O'Hare waiting for our return flight with a bit Mean Green grin on my face. I had no less than six people come up to me in Chicago and in Indiana ( went there for a family function this weekend) and want to talk Mean Green. Two grads and three folks who knew of Coach Mac and wanted to talk a bit of UNT football. Then there was the guy who saw the shirt and thought "North Texas" was out near El Paso! Hey, can't win 'em all.

I can tell you that it NEVER fails...whether in the US somewhere or as recently as in Costa Rica, when I wear my Mean Green Gear (which is pretty darn often on my trips) I always have people come up and want to talk UNT...no, not always athletics, but UNT. Really makes me proud of being a member of the Mean Green Nation.

BTW ... One guy was right across the street from DePaul University in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago (yes, I was in that area going to The Wieners Circle Hot Dogs...if you know about this place, you know...if not goggle it you will laugh your rear off...unless folks having some fun...yes fun...with "racial" things and salty language...the dogs are great...the routine is unique to say the least). The guy was doing grad work at DePaul after undergrad at UNT.

Wonder if I had been wearing Baylor stuff if anyone would have cared? Doubtful!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wieners+circle+hot+dogs&mid=F21A8A9BF11BD63D4015F21A8A9BF11BD63D4015&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

• Upvote 2

That's the place! Do not ever ask for a chocolate shake! Those ladies will scare you to death .... Even topless!

Greatness! Best to show up having more than just a few pints to drink! Alas...not how the bride and I were during our visit!

All this and the hot dogs and polish dogs are actually VERY good as are the fresh cut fries...not big on the Cheese-Whiz type cheese for the fries...passed on that!

I have UNT stuff all over my car...but I've only seen 1 other out here since moving to AZ with anything North Texas. So I'm definitely going to keep trying to get as many alums as possible to put the license plate holders and other "swag" on their cars. But I do talk to a lot of people and like I said before...even if you're not wearing green, if you say you went to "North Texas" pretty much anybody who so much as had a family member in college knows who we are and seems at least mildly interested or knows a thing or two about us. Which is funny considering, even internally, so many people joke about how nobody else knows who we are. With our huge out-of-state

(not to mention international) enrollment, it seems that everybody knows somebody who went to or applied to UNT...or NTSU...or whatever we were at the time. It seems bad "in the storm" because so many kids in Texas want to go to UT, aTm, etc., but for students across the country really into their career path, major, or just a really cool school, lots tend to find their way to Denton, and the ripples of that decision impact every area of the country!

As for Wieners Circle, I wish I'd known about it on my one and only trip to Chicago, but I'll have to check it out next time. Nice link from Emmitt...honestly, I would totally take a job there. I can't lie. I'm sure some people would disagree, but I think that most of us would love to be able to say whatever the hell we wanted and get paid for it. Even if it was just to shove wieners in somebody's face.