How to properly interact with fanbases, Lesson #328: UTSA & Instag

I wonder if UTSA fans are posting on their board...do they have one?.... Some of the great stuff UNT is doing and has done to engage its fan base...like the All-Century Team thing for one...OH, UTSA doesn't really have a history as yet, but kudos to them on this promo.

Really is pretty darn cool.

Really great to see the Mean Green fan base caring so much about what UTSA does...all the while trashing them as CUSA members. I think this is a natural rival thing and a great road trip for the Mean Green fan ase, so this "look at all the great things this start up is doing" is really good to see. Never saw this much regarding any of our SBC mates.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if UTSA fans are posting on their board...do they have one?.... Some of the great stuff UNT is doing and has done to engage its fan base...like the All-Century Team thing for one...OH, UTSA doesn't really have a history as yet, but kudos to them on this promo.

Really is pretty darn cool.

Really great to see the Mean Green fan base caring so much about what UTSA does...all the while trashing them as CUSA members. I think this is a natural rival thing and a great road trip for the Mean Green fan ase, so this "look at all the great things this start up I'd

S doing" is really good to see. Never saw this much regarding any of our SBC mates.

Oh come now, Mark. UTSA has an excellent fan forum in Rowdytalk.com and it's makeup rivals are own.

And honestly I'd say our AD has not done nearly enough to celebrate our 100(really +) year football history. The All-Century Team and festivities are great. But this should be trumpeted far and wide; not just, hey we made this poster, video, and our jerseys are going to be retro on August 31. I seriously believe RV and co. could take a few pages out of UTSA's playbook to the benefit of the Mean Green community.

• Upvote 1

Oh come now, Mark. UTSA has an excellent fan forum in Rowdytalk.com and it's makeup rivals are own.

And honestly I'd say our AD has not done nearly enough to celebrate our 100(really +) year football history. The All-Century Team and festivities are great. But this should be trumpeted far and wide; not just, hey we made this poster, video, and our jerseys are going to be retro on August 31. I seriously believe RV and co. could take a few pages out of UTSA's playbook to the benefit of the Mean Green community.

Nah. All-Century teams sell themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Did I not say it was cool?

Have no clue about their fan forum....not my school...don't care...I have zero UTSA envy. I just like having them as CUSA mates. I can rely on you and others to keep me up to date on what every one else is doing that is so great and what UNT is doing so poorly. I don't need to know about fan boards other than the ones relating to schools I graduated from and/attended. I have others here to keep me up to date on all the cool stuff by others. Makes it much less time consuming that way for me.

• Upvote 2

Nah. All-Century teams sell themselves.

You didn't like that promo either? What a surprise. You know...a fan vote using the Internet, in person voting, etc., etc. seemed pretty darn engaging to me. Pretty good size fan vote seems to indicate that lots of fans participated. And it appears fans from a lot of different eras participated. But, I guess it's "only at North Texas" again, right?

• Upvote 1

You didn't like that promo either? What a surprise. You know...a fan vote using the Internet, in person voting, etc., etc. seemed pretty darn engaging to me. Pretty good size fan vote seems to indicate that lots of fans participated. And it appears fans from a lot of different eras participated. But, I guess it's "only at North Texas" again, right?

Yep, brilliant indeed. Yet another "promotion" that caters to the people who are already attending games, already tuned in, already on board. Any chance you could talk to your friends on Bonnie Brae about waxing and detailing all of our cars too...you know, to entice me to use the season tickets I've already bought.

• Upvote 2

Yep, brilliant indeed. Yet another "promotion" that caters to the people who are already attending games, already tuned in, already on board. Any chance you could talk to your friends on Bonnie Brae about waxing and detailing all of our cars too...you know, to entice me to use the season tickets I've already bought.

Sure...what time can you be there...I'll set up a meeting for you and while they are waxing and detailing your car you can give them the benefit of all your marketing expertise, and tell them about everything they are doing wrong. Who would you like to meet with first?

This is my point. Our AD is excellent at catering to those already in the know, but they do so with 90s-style marketing with an eye only towards the past. They've made noticeable efforts to engage in newer mediums via the social media+video board last year, but wouldn't bother to follow through with it. Just "hey, submit your stuff via #meangreen, and we'll highlight you!"... over the course of an evening, and I can tell you that many around me including myself were participating in said promotion, and bam. Two board spotlights.

Our AD promotions just really, really need to reorganize so that this is not the highlight of their day:

• Upvote 1

Sure...what time can you be there...I'll set up a meeting for you and while they are waxing and detailing your car you can give them the benefit of all your marketing expertise, and tell them about everything they are doing wrong. Who would you like to meet with first?

I'll start with whomever is putting the shine on my tires. That part always gets messed up so I'd like to supervise.

• Upvote 3

I must say this promo is freaking cool. I am frustrated as heck that our A department is silent on promotions. Do they realize that they need to be pummeling the yet to be UNT fan with many different promotions tracking across all age ranges, demographic groups, Denton and DFW markets...

I am an in the know UNT fan and I continue to get weekly updates and announcements from FIU, UNLV, Texas A&M and Hawaii - places I have been a casual fan and bought a ticket to a football game before.

I would like to see UNT fan halls

I want active social media sites

I want a marketing effort as aggressive as China economic development

I want a Roadie Board - group that puts together away football game packages - the away party organizer

Why can't we have a person dedicated to each one of these efforts and more.

I have always been a Rick fan but times change, the market changes, the consumer changes, the sports fan changes, technology changes, we are changing leagues for crying out loud and I don't see a bloody countdown toward excitement.

Create your energy

Decide to be sexy

Leave programs behind like SMU and UH that say you can't do it

Decide to be somebody. That is who I want UNT to be.

Vent...sigh...reload

• Upvote 4

Eh. It is easy to come up with this kind of promo when you have an iconic, well-remembered highlight to re-enact. We don't have one like that so I won't beat up on the Marketing dept for not manufacturing one.

If we had to pick one from any sport -- maybe Josh White's game winner to send us to the tourney?

Football: Maybe Jim Jim's romp through the defense to put the game away last year?