GMG.com Places to eat and drink in Denton -- 2013 version

Harry

Add me to the list of fans of Roosters. My wife and I eat there every week.

Pulled Pork Nachos and Brisket Queso are great appetizers.

LOVE their burgers. In addition to the previously mentioned Chez Double Bubba Burger, the Smoked Garlic Jalapeno Bacon Cheddar Burger is to die for. And if you want to get ridiculous, the Big Ass Grilled Cheese Double Burger is it. 2 burger patties between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches. Not their best tasting, but fun to talk about.

While not strictly a barbecue place, they do have some very good BBQ. Love the Pit Sandwich that has brisket, pulled pork, and sausage on it.

Can't decide between burger or BBQ? Get the King Brisket Burger. Burger with sliced and chopped brisket on top.

One of the best fish sandwiches I've had, and one of the biggest. Great cuban sandwich. Great ribeye cheesesteak. Great BLT.

Even their salads are good. How can you go wrong with a salad that has chicken fried bacon on it.

My wife's favorite is the Rooster Tails which are like Blooming Onions, but I think better. Also love the fried pickles.

Generally I love the weekend specials too. Some creative things like hot dogs wrapped in bacon deep fried or hot dog covered in sloppy joe meat.

And you have to have a jelly jar dessert. Big props to the chocolate chip pie.

Finally good, cheap drinks. I especially like the cockeyed lemonade with flavors.

The only thing I can't wildly recommend is the Red Neck Sushi. It was OK, but not at the same level as the rest.

OK. I've rambled on, but I love this place. Working my way through the whole menu. I've probably tried 80% of the menu items. Haven't braved the Hell Burger yet. I saw them made on Heat Seekers on the Food Network, and while I love hot foods, that's just over the top.

• Upvote 1

It's cheese, brisket, and hot pickles wrapped in tortillas. Just not my fave.

BTW: If it's the redneck thing throwing you, the place touts itself as red, white, and blue. Red neck, white trash, and blue collar.

Do I want to know?

The only thing I can't wildly recommend is the Red Neck Sushi. It was OK, but not at the same level as the rest.

• Upvote 1

It's cheese, brisket, and hot pickles wrapped in tortillas. Just not my fave.

BTW: If it's the redneck thing throwing you, the place touts itself as red, white, and blue. Red neck, white trash, and blue collar.

Oh, I've actually made something similar at home a few times. It's not bad when your kitchen is almost empty and you need something "on the fly" but yeah, not sure if I would pay to eat it at a restaurant.

Thanks, Letsgiveacheer. It was such a neat place to take a girl for an afternoon Coke and pretend that you were one of the few who knew about the place.

What a sad coincidence we were just talking about this but the owner of Pender's died yesterday.

Harold Gore

Breakfast: mi-casita.jpg

Chorizo & egg, and Potato & egg breakfast tacos with those seasoned chips and hot sauce.

Lunch: l.jpg

$2.50 burger basket on Fridays at lunchtime was a staple. You cannot eat anywhere else that cheap. I don't know if that deal is still going on, but if it is, and you're a student, get over there.

Dinner: welcome-to-benvenuto.jpg

Lots of dates with my future wife here. This was our favorite place. I may be biased here based on nostalgia, but ANYTHING here is good.

Dessert: bethmaries1(1).jpg

Get a sampler boat and one of your flavors should be Old South Fudge (also available in Apogee on gamedays under section 205).

RIP:

Hooya!

Burritos%20007_medium.jpeg

The Tomato (lots of great memories in there)

0720_the_tomato.jpg

RJ's - Best burger I've ever eaten, and ever will. I stopped trying to compare burgers to RJ's because it's just not going to happen.

rj_s.jpg

• Upvote 2

Dinner: welcome-to-benvenuto.jpg

Lots of dates with my future wife here. This was our favorite place. I may be biased here based on nostalgia,

RJ's - Best burger I've ever eaten, and ever will. I stopped trying to compare burgers to RJ's because it's just not going to happen.

rj_s.jpg

I couldn't disagree (Guseppe's) or agree (RJ's) any more strongly. I've tried and tried and tried to find a new burger... Nothing comes close. One of my top 3 college memories was getting my picture take with the old poloroid camera he kept behind the counter after finishing the World Burger. Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2

I couldn't disagree (Guseppe's) or agree (RJ's) any more strongly. I've tried and tried and tried to find a new burger... Nothing comes close. One of my top 3 college memories was getting my picture take with the old poloroid camera he kept behind the counter after finishing the World Burger.

I never did the world burger. Not that I couldn't have because they were so tasty... but because the things were so expensive.

Why you hatin on Giuseppes?

I never did the world burger. Not that I couldn't have because they were so tasty... but because the things were so expensive.

Why you hatin on Giuseppes?

I couldn't really afford the $25 World Burger either.... but I had to do it. 2nd try was the charm.

I've probably eaten at Giuseppe's 11 or 12 times over the years.... Meh city. People go there for the House not the food.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't really afford the $25 World Burger either.... but I had to do it. 2nd try was the charm.

I've probably eaten at Giuseppe's 11 or 12 times over the years.... Meh city. People go there for the House not the food.

Agreed, I found Giuseppe's to be no better than buying fresh pasta @ grocery and making at home.

• Upvote 1

Pasta at Giuseppe's, Bagheri's, and Bari's (are the other two around at all anymore?) were pretty similar - and the sauces were the most important part. But Giuseppe's had some really special stuff at higher prices that was damned good when you had the cash. But as with many places, yeah, you pay a bit extra for the ambience.

• 1 year later...

1. So you are both right. When Cool Beans first opened it was as it is now - with regard to inside space. Then came the rooftop deck. Then came breaking through the wall and adding the "annex" as we called it- circa '96 perhaps. The annex side was a different building and was under a different lease. (The building Cool Beans proper is in was owned by the late Dr. Lott. (Awesome guy). Not long before he died he offered a very long term lease which was signed.)

So the annex lease was up and developer came in and bought that building along with the rest to create the wart that is the apartment complex. So Cool Beans had to brick up the wall and return to its original footprint. But because of the length of the lease they have, thanks to Dr. Lott, they will be the little thorn in the side of that developer for at least another decade or so.

1. So you are both right. When Cool Beans first opened it was as it is now - with regard to inside space. Then came the rooftop deck. Then came breaking through the wall and adding the "annex" as we called it- circa '96 perhaps. The annex side was a different building and was under a different lease. (The building Cool Beans proper is in was owned by the late Dr. Lott. (Awesome guy). Not long before he died he offered a very long term lease which was signed.)

So the annex lease was up and developer came in and bought that building along with the rest to create the wart that is the apartment complex. So Cool Beans had to brick up the wall and return to its original footprint. But because of the length of the lease they have, thanks to Dr. Lott, they will be the little thorn in the side of that developer for at least another decade or so.

"Not long before he died he offered a very long term lease which was signed."

Don't know who you are or where you got your information 'adman' but the details of Dr. Lott's signing Cool Bean lease are anything but what you posted. Please stop posting false information regarding Dr. Lott or this lease. Thanks.

Edited by Jim Lott
  • Upvote 2

"Not long before he died he offered a very long term lease which was signed."

Don't know who you are or where you got your information 'adman' but the details of Dr. Lott's signing Cool Bean lease are anything but what you posted. Please stop posting false information regarding Dr. Lott or this lease. Thanks.

Welcome to the board. Care to share the details as you know them?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the board. Care to share the details as you know them?

Thanks Harry for the welcome!

I'm a 1990 grad but know some history of the football program particularly the 60's and 80's. I also remember some Missouri Valley Conference basketball games back in the day...

Stever Ramsey, Spider Lockhart, Ron Shanklin, Beasley Reese and Mean Joe Greene were all recruited by Chuck Noll and all had my dad for Anatomy&Physiology at NT. Greene could never pass the course and everntually gave up. In Joe's defense though, the course was quite intimidating. Six pages 106 questions, all fill in the blank with a discriptive essay. Dad always started his classes with a short test..... I sold drinks and peanuts at the games with my friends, attended parties and dinners at JKG Silvey's house and practically grew up at the biology dept and on the NTSU campus during the hippy days. I used to hang around Head Coach Rod Rust's son Greg..

My Brother John Lott also played for NT in the 80's. When the NFL strike happened in '87, John was recruited to play deep snap center and OG by Chuck Noll on Corky Nelson's referral. John was replaced in Pittsbugh by the first player to cross the line and help break the strike, Mike Webster. In the early 90's John went to work for NT as Strength and Conditioning coach before going back into the NFL and coaching for Bill Parcells at the Jets.

Regarding your question, all I can tell you is the lease was not Dr. Lott's idea and was presented to Dr. Lott, not the other way around.

I owned The Library at 1210 West Hickory and lease to Cool Beans today.

post-44176-0-43884600-1404703756_thumb.j

Edited by Jim Lott
  • Upvote 1

I'm a 1990 grad but know some history of the football program particularly the 60's and 80's. I also remember some Missouri Valley Conference basketball games back in the day...

Stever Ramsey, Spider Lockhart, Ron Shanklin, Beasley Reese and Mean Joe Greene were all recruited by Chuck Noll and all had my dad for Anatomy&Physiology at NT. Greene could never pass the course and everntually gave up. In Joe's defense though, the course was quite intimidating. Six pages 106 questions, all fill in the blank with a discriptive essay. Dad always started his classes with a short test..... I sold drinks and peanuts at the games with my friends, attended parties and dinners at JKG Silvey's house and practically grew up at the biology dept and on the NTSU campus during the hippy days. I used to hang around Head Coach Rod Rust's son Greg..

My Brother John Lott also played for NT in the 80's. When the NFL strike happened in '87, John was recruited to play deep snap center and OG by Chuck Noll on Corky Nelson's referral. John was replaced in Pittsbugh by the first player to cross the line and help break the strike, Mike Webster. In the early 90's John went to work for NT as Strength and Conditioning coach before going back into the NFL and coaching for Bill Parcells at the Jets.

Regarding your question, all I can tell you is the lease was not Dr. Lott's idea and was presented to Dr. Lott, not the other way around.

attachicon.gifThe Library.jpg

I had your dad for Anatomy & Physiology. Never been more proud or worked harder for a C in my life (Hardest I ever worked in college, in any course). Several of his saying still stick with me today and he is the only professor I remember by name (I'm getting old). His lectures were far from boring yet, sadly, probably wouldn't be allowed today. Best teacher by far that i had in college.

I promise I'm not trying to bait you. I'm curious why they wouldn't be allowed.

He had some very colorful sayings that were harmless, but probably wouldn't work in today's overly sensitive, I'm a victim society. You could actually buy a t-shirt (or maybe he gave them away as a reward for passing his class? I don't remember which) with these sayings on them if you passed both classes.

But, who knows, maybe Dr. Lott would just say to them what he once said to me when I asked him about a potentially dicey situation: "F 'em, I have tenure."

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Jim welcome to the site -- glad to have you on here! I graduated in 90 as well and I didn't have your dad as I was a business major. Your bro was a baller and I do remember him. How awesome that he was able to play for the Steelers and Chuck Noll and also coaching for Parcells. Let me be the first to say -- adman is a good dude, and I can promise he didn't mean any disrespect for you in his post. I appreciate you clearing things up for us. Also -- I was a big fan of the Library and had some great times there! Went to a lot of Leroy Shakespeare shows. So thanks for making that such a fun place with great music back in the day. We need to grab a beer one of these days as I am sure you have some good stories. GMG!

Jim welcome to the site -- glad to have you on here! I graduated in 90 as well and I didn't have your dad as I was a business major. Your bro was a baller and I do remember him. How awesome that he was able to play for the Steelers and Chuck Noll and also coaching for Parcells. Let me be the first to say -- adman is a good dude, and I can promise he didn't mean any disrespect for you in his post. I appreciate you clearing things up for us. Also -- I was a big fan of the Library and had some great times there! Went to a lot of Leroy Shakespeare shows. So thanks for making that such a fun place with great music back in the day. We need to grab a beer one of these days as I am sure you have some good stories. GMG!

Thanks! It's great having a site dedicated to UNT sports and Denton life in general. I do remember Leroy Shakespeare's reggae and saw him at a club here in Denver in the early 90's. Also saw a few other bands from The Library days including Rev. Horton Heat and Brave Combo. The Library was a good experience but you can imagine after the Navy and four years of college life, owning a bar put a nail in the coffen of my club going for many years after that.. Now I can finally go to a sports bar without the feeling I need to grab a mop... lol

Since John first met Joe Greene when he was a kid, my brother has been all football. He worked hard for everything he's achieved in the game and has capitalized on some incredible opportunities. Going with Parcells and the Jets introduced John to a lot of super players and coaches. Though I've met Bill Parcells and like him, my favorite is and forever will be Bill Belichick for a simple reason. He was the only coach at the Jets who sent my Mom a card when Dad passed............

Yeah, I thought adman was just contributing to the thread and blame myself for not being around when misinformation is disseminated online or elsewhere. If I had been in Denton in 1993, my dad would not have signed the lease. But it's all water under the bridge now.............

My last contact with UNT football was when I leased my home out to Noah Joseph's family. He was the safety coach with NT for two years and left for the Indiana Hoosiers and higher pay.

Hey, I'll take you up on that beer when I come back. Spent practically the entire month of June there, but will let you know when I'm in town. Maybe we can catch some UFC...........

Edited by Jim Lott
  • Upvote 1

I took Dr. Lott's Physiology course and yes the tests were quite intimidating. I busted my butt for a C and wanted to take it again to get into pharmacy school (needed better than a C). I retook the course - it was his last course teaching at North Texas. He didn't finish teaching the class but he definitely left his mark on me as a student on how hard you have to work to succeed. I don't think I would have became a pharmacist without his class.

Loved his after class celebrations at Cool Beans too.

Edited by Zeke
  • Upvote 2

I had your dad for Anatomy & Physiology. Never been more proud or worked harder for a C in my life (Hardest I ever worked in college, in any course). Several of his saying still stick with me today and he is the only professor I remember by name (I'm getting old). His lectures were far from boring yet, sadly, probably wouldn't be allowed today. Best teacher by far that i had in college.

I always appreciated people telling their stories of classes with him when he was still around and appreciate it even more so now that he's gone.... He was an amazing dad but we always knew he thought on another wavelength.

I remember in the Navy conducting flight physicals and a Lt. Cmdr. sat down for a blood preasure check and saw my nametag. He asked where I was from and I said Denton. He told me he was a freshman at NT in '58 and had dad in class and laughed at how hard he was but he learned a lot a was proud of his 'C'. Dad always said his profs at UT (Dr's Lund and Rosine) were the toughest you could imagine and this set his style of teaching for life coupled with that the Great Depression had such a profound effect on those generations. Old school teaching and standards could be unforgiving. Anyone who was raised by someone who grew up in the depression can attest to that...... Can I get an 'Amen'...... :D

Edited by Jim Lott
  • Upvote 1