Tim Crouch; UNT Game Announcer Poll

Harry

I love our announcer. He's really iconic. That snarl he has during the "First Down!" and stuff is pretty fantastic. However, our music selections are...let's just say...embarrassing.

The "Fabulous" he says for The Super Pit is kind of ridiculous, though.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

I love our announcer. He's really iconic. That snarl he has during the "First Down!" and stuff is pretty fantastic. However, our music selections are...let's just say...embarrassing.

The "Fabulous" he says for The Super Pit is kind of ridiculous, though.

Robb Coffey nicknamed it "The Fabulous Super Pit." It earned NT a mention in the 1990 Playboy basketball preview, for THE BEST NICKNAME of an Arena.

• Upvote 1

I've always thought he was good at the job and enjoy what he brings to the game.

That said, I've also wondered if there's opportunity to engage the fans/community in the booth.

What if the 3rd quarter were to feature a second person in the booth with him offering "color commentary" of some kind? Maybe you have some tailgate/attendance competition between the greeks and the winning president joins him in the booth for the quarter? Maybe an aspiring sports journalist at a local high school would attract his classmates/friends or school as a whole? Maybe a semi-celebrity or "the voice of Big Tex" could be promo-worthy draw?

Just a passing thought.

• Downvote 2

Haven't noticed him, which is a good thing.

The "patterned" first down thing is a rip off from U of Arkansas, by the way.

Short of bringing down force lightening around the stadium each time there is a first down, anything else we do is going to be a rip off of what some other schools has been doing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've always thought he was good at the job and enjoy what he brings to the game.

That said, I've also wondered if there's opportunity to engage the fans/community in the booth.

What if the 3rd quarter were to feature a second person in the booth with him offering "color commentary" of some kind? Maybe you have some tailgate/attendance competition between the greeks and the winning president joins him in the booth for the quarter? Maybe an aspiring sports journalist at a local high school would attract his classmates/friends or school as a whole? Maybe a semi-celebrity or "the voice of Big Tex" could be promo-worthy draw?

Just a passing thought.

This would be something for George and Hank. I don't think you want color commentary over the stadium system. Also, the calling of names is up to the spotter feeding him the names unless you meant he doesn't pronounce the names correctly, then it is on him.

I have always thought he did a pretty good job. He's called games forever and it would seem odd to hear someone else, at least for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Short of bringing down force lightening around the stadium each time there is a first down, anything else we do is going to be a rip off of what some other schools has been doing.

There are very few traditions that are original and still in use anymore so basically every tradition that you see has been ripped off from someone else and adapted for their own use.

The thing about Robb Coffey is he has a sense of timing, and apparently the Sunbelt Conference recognized this as he was hired to do the PA for the women in the Sunbelt tourney this year.

Not only does he have a GREAT PA voice but he knows when to NOT be a wet blanket, and understands that when a team does something great...(a power slam dunk to finalize a scoring run for instance that brings the crowd to its feet)...Robb knows that is the time to let the band finish the fight song and keep the momentum going and not the time to "Remind everyone to purchase their tickets to the Sunbelt Conference XYZ Championship in BFE that no one within ear shot gives a rats ass about".

This has been allowed to go on for years in the Super Pi during our gamest. You would think someone up there running the show would have noticed by now?

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Did I miss something? The Apogee announcer isn't the Super Pit announcer?

Well, good lord, I must be deaf.

That's embarrassing.

Coffey does women's games.

Also, you may be colorblind, which is not a bad thing around here.

• Upvote 2

The thing about Robb Coffey is he has a sense of timing, and apparently the Sunbelt Conference recognized this as he was hired to do the PA for the women in the Sunbelt tourney this year.

Not only does he have a GREAT PA voice but he knows when to NOT be a wet blanket, and understands that when a team does something great...(a power slam dunk to finalize a scoring run for instance that brings the crowd to its feet)...Robb knows that is the time to let the band finish the fight song and keep the momentum going and not the time to "Remind everyone to purchase their tickets to the Sunbelt Conference XYZ Championship in BFE that no one within ear shot gives a rats ass about".

This has been allowed to go on for years in the Super Pi during our gamest. You would think someone up there running the show would have noticed by now?

Rick

Robb has PA'd SBC tournament games for several years now.

He get's a "Meh" from me. He's very vanilla sounding and I have a hard time getting excited when he tries to hype up the game.

• Upvote 2

And when he had opened the fourth suit, I heard the voice of the fourth assistant coach say, Come and see.

And I looked, and behold a pale suit: and his name that wore it was Benford, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the court, to kill with substitution, and with haplessness, and with dishonor, and with the beasts of the not-actually-coaching staff.

Oh man. Tasty, you're the best.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh man. Tasty, you're the best.

media_29c962d2f07841859c915489c4ad9710_t

I forget the figures AAUNT posted in the last State of GMG thread, but there are a lot of people who browse primarily or exclusively on mobile devices. So I wouldn't be surprised if your post is the first time a lot of people see that.