Old Dominion

NT03

Is that true?

Of our 13 high school signees:

- 4 show no other offers on recruiting web sites (Walker, Sorge, Ellis, Minor)

- 1 was only offered by us and an FCS in Montana (Dajon Williams) but according to Vito he might've held an offer from Louisiana Tech

- 5 others had exactly one other FBS offer (Smiley, Scott, Shilleci, Reinhardt, Nelson)

- 3 had a decent amount of other teams that offered (Moore, Kidsy, Davis)

• Upvote 2

Those sites are not always updated. Kidsey had went on visits to Indiana and Nebraska and none of the recruiting sites had that info. I cant speak for everyone, but I know schools were trying to get Davis and kidsey up until the last month.

Yup, and those are two of the three guys who I mentioned had decent offer lists. Kidsy had offers from Illinois, Miami (OH), Utah, and Fresno St. Davis had a sweet offer list as well. We're going to have a hard time keeping Kidsy off the field.
  • Upvote 1

Any school can get early commits from borderline players. The trick is getting commits from players higher up on the recruiting list.

With NT record and seemingly relative poor ability to recruit against other schools, it may be in their benefit to wait till they can demonstrate that the program is getting better by winning games next year. Of course, if the record doesn't get better there is no hope that recruiting is either unless there is a coaching change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any school can get early commits from borderline players. The trick is getting commits from players higher up on the recruiting list.

With NT record and seemingly relative poor ability to recruit against other schools, it may be in their benefit to wait till they can demonstrate that the program is getting better by winning games next year. Of course, if the record doesn't get better there is no hope that recruiting is either unless there is a coaching change.

Well hell, we should just give up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2014/olddominion-649

They're not doing too poorly.

I'll never understand why our fans don't just admit that we aren't getting the athletes we thought we would (or, many of us thought we would) under McCarney.

It is impressive that Old Dominion, which isn't even playing FBS ball yet, is able to land a three-star recruit. Their coach has never had a losing record, led them to the FCS playoffs the past two years. This isn't a school that will come into the C-USun Belt laying down.

We pooh-poohed UTSA, and they are equal to us. Larry Coker knows what he is doing and always has. I suspect that if the Roadrunners beat us this year, some will still find ways to pooh-pooh UTSA and Coker.

Franchione down at Texas State has a couple of recuits. He built TCU on no-name guys. Can McCarney do the same here?

I don't know what to think about McCarney anymore. I love his experience. But, a 2013 with 3 to 4 wins...that would have me really worried.

Sorry, but I've got to be honest. I was honest about what I thought Todd Dodge's shortcomings were; I've got to be honest about McCarney as well. I have been disappointed with the way the recruiting has gone. I really thought it would have gone up a notch by now.

We've all said it thousands of time already, but...a whole lot is riding on this season's outcome. If we cannot win more than four this year, do we go ahead and bring someone else in for a try?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2014/olddominion-649

I'll never understand why our fans don't just admit that we aren't getting the athletes we thought we would (or, many of us thought we would) under McCarney.

It is impressive that Old Dominion, which isn't even playing FBS ball yet, is able to land a three-star recruit. Their coach has never had a losing record, led them to the FCS playoffs the past two years. This isn't a school that will come into the C-USun Belt laying down.

We pooh-poohed UTSA, and they are equal to us. Larry Coker knows what he is doing and always has. I suspect that if the Roadrunners beat us this year, some will still find ways to pooh-pooh UTSA and Coker.

Franchione down at Texas State has a couple of recuits. He built TCU on no-name guys. Can McCarney do the same here?

I don't know what to think about McCarney anymore. I love his experience. But, a 2013 with 3 to 4 wins...that would have me really worried.

Sorry, but I've got to be honest. I was honest about what I thought Todd Dodge's shortcomings were; I've got to be honest about McCarney as well. I have been disappointed with the way the recruiting has gone. I really thought it would have gone up a notch by now.

We've all said it thousands of time already, but...a whole lot is riding on this season's outcome. If we cannot win more than four this year, do we go ahead and bring someone else in for a try?

To me, 2-3 wins this year (with a few tougher teams on the schedule) would mean we are about as good as we were last year. 4-5 wins would actually be an overall improvement, since we'd have the same record as his first 2 years but again, against tougher competition. I still think we pull 5, 6, or 7 wins because we have options at QB, young guys stronger and with more experience, redshirts who have had time to adjust, etc...but only if key players stay healthy.

So I think we can expect at least 5 wins, but realistically I doubt there would be too much pressure on Mac (from the people upstairs) unless we won less than 4.

Well I have said all along,,,,,lose to UTSA or don't win 6 games and your r fired....this is your 3rd year and you are soooooo great, we know, because you tell us all of the time...but I do like you...just business

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1