NBA Draft Combine

Cooley

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2013/05/15/scouting-combine-cj-mccollum-norvel-pelle-ricardo-ledo-tony-mitchell-glen-rice-jr/2164871/

Tony Mitchell, North Texas

After a strong showing with Team USA's U19 National Team and an impressive freshman season, there were high expectations for Mitchell this year. However, the 6-8 forward regressed in his sophomore season at North Texas, in large part because of the team's coaching change. His points, rebounds, assists and blocks dropped significantly in his second collegiate season, as did his field goal percentage, three-point percentage and free-throw percentage.

NBA decision-makers wanted to see Mitchell take the next step in his development and solidify himself as a top pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, but that never happened. Now, Mitchell finds himself on the first-round bubble entering the combine. The 21-year-old will need to perform well in workouts and interviews to show teams that he's still the same player that seemed poised for success in the league just one year ago.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

He just got a lot of TV time. The announcers brought up that our new coach was a disaster that hurt him and his development, however he is having a great showing so far today. His athleticism is showcasing today during the warmups. They even said he looks "Rodman like".

• Upvote 1

He just got a lot of TV time. The announcers brought up that our new coach was a disaster that hurt him and his development, however he is having a great showing so far today. His athleticism is showcasing today during the warmups. They even said he looks "Rodman like".

Wait... I thought Benford was supposed to be known for player's development... Mitchell is looking good, threw down a nice windmill jam.

• Upvote 2

Do you have a direct quote for what was said about Benford? I only ask because I had to watch the combine coverage without sound.

• Upvote 1

But just keep believing all that BS that was thrown around about lack of effort and how Tony wasn't really a top NBA draft pick.

I bet Tony works his way back up to at least the 14th pick.

History will show Benford as one of the all time worst hires at UNT... And that in itself is no small accomplishment

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

I really wanted to sit down and watch this but my workplace who hadn't called me all day needed my services right at 12, just my luck. Regardless where ever he lands I'll be watching even if I have to via thefirstrow although him in a Laker or Spurs uniform would be hard to stomach.

Side note, I can't wait until T-Mitch gets to throw down his first dunk on a break away and turn some heads. Maybe he could be in the slam dunk contest at some point in his career.

Replay is up on epsn3

One of the analysts said he wasn't in the right situation to develop here. Another said a lot of scouts have said not to discount him for this past season where the coaching hire was a disaster and "turned out really bad for him." Said he has a lot of upside and could jump up the draft boards depending on performance and interviews in the next seven weeks.

-Question was asked if any of the PF's were 1st round picks and they were unanimous in saying Mitchell would be a mid to late 1st and possibly a lottery pick.

Edited by ntmeangreen11
  • Upvote 1

Replay is up on epsn3

One of the analysts said he wasn't in the right situation to develop here. Another said a lot of scouts have said not to discount him for this past season where the coaching hire was a disaster and "turned out really bad for him." Said he has a lot of upside and could jump up the draft boards depending on performance and interviews in the next seven weeks.

That Should help out on recruiting ..

• Upvote 2