My my how things change

emmitt01

Lot of conjecture going around here. I just asked a simple question "Why the rush to condemn two players and not the third?" If you see it as a racial issue that's your spin...I can't assume your motives. It's not my job to both ask and answer for you.

Or, am I to assume that because I'm black that race is the only card I am able to play? If that's your assumption (Lifer et al) then, yes, I will call you on that.

I wonder, if TTG or Zeke or CMJ had done the research and pointed out the blatant double standard applied reacting to December's arrests and this months...would we have a line of people conjuring up the names of every civil rights leader they can to compare them to? If they questioned why we wanted to boot two kids from the team for theft (body count of zero that I can think of) and "save our indignation" for a kid that drives drunk (a crime that kills so many there's a group of mothers specifically against it) would we assume that those white guys were playing the race card?

I never accused any of you of being racist, your words not mine. I just said you were hypocrites...a charge that 97and03 freely and maturely owns up to. I am amused though that when a lay out a cogent argument your only response is "It's all about race with YOU PEOPLE"

My problem is that you COMPLETELY misrepresented what I said. I never called for diffferent outcomes for Jommerson or Abbe, yet you post that I do directly under my quoted comments that clearly show that I don't. Pretty freaking sorry, and I don't get your motivation.

Did you just pick tthree guys you knew were white?

• Upvote 3

My problem is that you COMPLETELY misrepresented what I said. I never called for diffferent outcomes for Jommerson or Abbe, yet you post that I do directly under my quoted comments that clearly show that I don't. Pretty freaking sorry, and I don't get your motivation.

Did you just pick tthree guys you knew were white?

Why is this all about race with you?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Because that's exactly what you meant it to be about.

And you lump me in when I never called for any different outcome for either event. Pretty sorry.

So anytime a black man points out inconsistencies in positions it must be to serve some sort of "there's a Klansman around every corner" hysteria? Now that, my friend, IS racist.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

UNT90 12/16/12

And, most importantly of all, I'm sure no one on here has EVER driven when they were over the legal limit of .08, right? Guess what, that is EXACTLY the same level of offense as this theft. But, of course, this theft didn't involve putting others in danger the way your innocent "I'm OK to drive" DWI violation did, regardless of whether you were caught or not.”

There ya go. Let these people know that drinking and driving is dangerous!! Point out that the innocent civilian body count from shoplifting is pretty much nil. And, hey, let's not back pedal on this....

UNT90 5/4/13

Kids make dumb decisions. Sometimes they make 4 of them.

He is not beating up women or children. He is not robbing someone at knifepoint or gunpoint.he is not raping co-eds or dealing drugs.

He has done what I bet a majority on this board did in their youth. He just got caught.”

I'm a little confused here. Why would we be so harsh on Jimmerson and Warner and not on Abbe? Because Abbe is considered vital to his position and Jimmerson isn't? No. Pretty sure Jim Jim is being counted on to perhaps be our featured back. Because what Abbe did isn't as dangerous to the general public? Ummm, no. Because Jimmerson and Warner are career criminals with multiple prior arrests? Uhhhh.... Then why is it? I wonder.

Am I saying that Abbe should be booted from the team? Nope. Am I saying that he is a hardened criminal? Again, nope. But I am a bit amused by the fact that we should, in the words of another poster "save the righteous indignation", when we were oh so quick to condemn just last December.

North Texas...where there would be no standards if not for double standards.

First, why don't youi re-read my quote. You know, the one where I say that theft and DWI are EXACTLY THE SAME LEVEL OF OFFENSE.

Then, directly under where I say this, you post the bolded.

Race is exactly what you meant, and you know it.

On a side note: I guess for some, it's only OK to badmouth our athletes when those are the talking points issued by the AD to protect a poor coaching hire decision.

Edited by UNT90

First, why don't youi re-read my quote. You know, the one where I say that theft and DWI are EXACTLY THE SAME LEVEL OF OFFENSE.

Then, directly under where I say this, you post the bolded.

Race is exactly what you meant, and you know it.

On a side note: I guess for some, it's only OK to badmouth our athletes when those are the talking points issued by the AD to protect a poor coaching hire decision.

Yep. I'm black so every argument I make must have some racial agenda. Even when I tell you specifically that I don't my inner Al Sharpton simply must prevail...right? You know me, I've always been one to pull punches and refuse to be blunt.

I simply asked the question of why so much flip flopping was going on. Somehow, then, as the black author of the question I couldn't possibly be doing so without attempting to paint you as David Duke. I honestly don't know why the players are being viewed differently, I don't presume to know the hearts and minds of others.

Could it be because we have a dire need for DT's and we are therefore willing to forgive any warm body at that position?

Could it be that society at large has a "everybody does it" mentality toward drinking and driving?

Could it be that any number of things?

I don't know. What I do know is that it is telling that the original question has thus far been ignored while the crusade to paint me as the next Huey Newton has been full steam ahead. Guess that's just simpler...and yep pretty damn racist.

My personal issue with your quoted remarks is that you actually took the time to SPECIFICALLY juxtapose theft with drunk driving and pointed out that drunk driving hurts people. Then, when a player actually drives under the influence, it's all "everybody makes mistakes" and "at least he's not raping or murdering". If you can't see the irony in that I don't know exactly what to say.

Now if you'll excuse me Minister Farrakhan just texted me and needs my help with a bean pie sale.

• Upvote 3

Yep. I'm black so every argument I make must have some racial agenda. Even when I tell you specifically that I don't my inner Al Sharpton simply must prevail...right? You know me, I've always been one to pull punches and refuse to be blunt.

I simply asked the question of why so much flip flopping was going on. Somehow, then, as the black author of the question I couldn't possibly be doing so without attempting to paint you as David Duke. I honestly don't know why the players are being viewed differently, I don't presume to know the hearts and minds of others.

Could it be because we have a dire need for DT's and we are therefore willing to forgive any warm body at that position?

Could it be that society at large has a "everybody does it" mentality toward drinking and driving?

Could it be that any number of things?

I don't know. What I do know is that it is telling that the original question has thus far been ignored while the crusade to paint me as the next Huey Newton has been full steam ahead. Guess that's just simpler...and yep pretty damn racist.

My personal issue with your quoted remarks is that you actually took the time to SPECIFICALLY juxtapose theft with drunk driving and pointed out that drunk driving hurts people. Then, when a player actually drives under the influence, it's all "everybody makes mistakes" and "at least he's not raping or murdering". If you can't see the irony in that I don't know exactly what to say.

Now if you'll excuse me Minister Farrakhan just texted me and needs my help with a bean pie sale.

Right, and I also compare DWI as an equal offense to theft.

And in both cases didn't think anyone should be kicked off the team. And drop the whole "I'm black so it must be about race" bit. You threw it out there hoping someone would call you out about race. It's exactly what you wanted.

So tell me again, am I a racist because I called for the exact same punishment for both, or am I a racist for calling your post exactly what it was?

If your issue with me was some perceived inconsistency on DWI, why did you post immediately below my quote that I was calling for different punishment for the 2 incidents?

Spin

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

What's odd is the fact that alot of people on here excuse away the act of DWI while saying that shoplifting $500><$50 is inexcusable.

Race or whatever aside, I think DWI is pretty serious. People aren't in danger of dying when something is stolen. An impaired driver puts everyone around them in danger.

And Emmitt,

I doubt race is the factor here.

I think it's more along the lines of, "hey, we've all done things after drinking too much", meaning quite a few here have actually driven while drunk/high... (I hope you all have stopped this. Recall the whole reason we play the GMG.com bowl.)

...but few have ever stolen $500><$50 worth of merchandise from a store, so it's finger-pointing time.

• Upvote 1

Right, and I also compare DWI as an equal offense to theft.

And in both cases didn't think anyone should be kicked off the team. And drop the whole "I'm black so it must be about race" bit. You threw it out there hoping someone would call you out about race. It's exactly what you wanted.

So tell me again, am I a racist because I called for the exact same punishment for both, or am I a racist for calling your post exactly what it was?

If your issue with me was some perceived inconsistency on DWI, why did you post immediately below my quote that I was calling for different punishment for the 2 incidents?

Spin

You're racist for continuing to insist, even after repeated explanations BY THE PERSON WHO MADE THE ORIGINAL POST, that you know better than I what I intended. You're racist because, had TTG made the original post (hell, he even parodied the double standard in THIS thread) no "racial agenda" would have been assumed.

It doesn't matter what I tell you obviously. And I challenge you to show me where I said you called for disparate punishment. What you fail to understand is that the portion you bolded and keep pointing to applies to ALL of the people I quoted.

Stick to the Benford crusade. At least there you have a salient point not based on assuming the motives of others and the stubborn refusal to respond to the explanations given to you.

What's odd is the fact that alot of people on here excuse away the act of DWI while saying that shoplifting $500><$50 is inexcusable.

Race or whatever aside, I think DWI is pretty serious. People aren't in danger of dying when something is stolen. An impaired driver puts everyone around them in danger.

And Emmitt,

I doubt race is the factor here.

I think it's more along the lines of, "hey, we've all done things after drinking too much", meaning quite a few here have actually driven while drunk/high... (I hope you all have stopped this. Recall the whole reason we play the GMG.com bowl.)

...but few have ever stolen $500><$50 worth of merchandise from a store, so it's finger-pointing time.

Finally, someone gets it.

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone that you're a covert Black Panther operative.

You're racist for continuing to insist, even after repeated explanations BY THE PERSON WHO MADE THE ORIGINAL POST, that you know better than I what I intended. You're racist because, had TTG made the original post (hell, he even parodied the double standard in THIS thread) no "racial agenda" would have been assumed.

It doesn't matter what I tell you obviously. And I challenge you to show me where I said you called for disparate punishment. What you fail to understand is that the portion you bolded and keep pointing to applies to ALL of the people I quoted.

Stick to the Benford crusade. At least there you have a salient point not based on assuming the motives of others and the stubborn refusal to respond to the explanations given to you.

So that makes you racost for assuming I wouldn't think had TTG made this post it was about race, right?

I mean, you are assuming to know what I would think about a post that TTG DIDN'T EVEN MAKE!

How racist does that make you?

You made a post hoping you could label people as racists.

Congrats. You got what you wanted.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

So that makes you racost for assuming I wouldn't think had TTG made this post it was about race, right?

I mean, you are assuming to know what I would think about a post that TTG DIDN'T EVEN MAKE!

How racist does that make you?

You made a post hoping you could label people as racists.

Congrats. You got what you wanted.

Do you have any eligibility left? With your packpedaling skills we could use you at corner.

Do you have any eligibility left? With your packpedaling skills we could use you at corner.

Really? Because you are the one assuming to know how I would respond to a phantom TTG post.

Seems your rhetorical back pedaling skills exceed your athletic back pedaling skills.

• Upvote 2

Really? Because you are the one assuming to know how I would respond to a phantom TTG post.

Seems your rhetorical back pedaling skills exceed your athletic back pedaling skills.

I won this year, didn't you hear?

I don't think the previous six losses count. Don't ask why, they just don't.

• Upvote 1

White people be all researching stuff like this. (hums muzack)

But black people be all researching stuff like THIS! (makes exaggerated beatbox noises).

Leonard Little got a lot of second chances. And Winona Ryder is still a joke.

On the other hand... This forum has a history speckled with holocaust denial, anti-miscegenation rants, and uncomfortable racial commentary. So... Who the hell knows?

White people be all researching stuff like this. (hums muzack)

But black people be all researching stuff like THIS! (makes exaggerated beatbox noises).

Leonard Little got a lot of second chances. And Winona Ryder is still a joke.

On the other hand... This forum has a history speckled with holocaust denial, anti-miscegenation rants, and uncomfortable racial commentary. So... Who the hell knows?

Disclaimer: I have a 2 yr old so this show is always on.