Taking The Game/Program To the Fans

UNTLifer

Texas Tech had their Saturday practice/scrimmage in Midland to accomodate the alumni in the area, increase interest and work the pockets of the alumni banking $$$ in the Permian Basin oil fields. I hope we get to a point and can take a practice down to Dallas or north to one of the smaller communities.

http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_ca0fd056-9f17-11e2-bae3-0019bb2963f4.html

True, but to build some community support we could go down the road to Ryan or take a short trip to SLC or something like that. Showing a big presence by having some scrimmages on the fields of major HS programs could do wonders for our bridge-building and foster positive feelings with potential future recruits and their families.

Why not? I mean, aside from inside-the-box thinking that we're finally starting to get away from a bit.

I like this--do a practice over at Frisco in the soccer stadium. Go down to Southlake and have a scrimmage at Dragon Stadium. You go where your alumni are and get some future students to see the university reaching out to you. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing them schedule a spring scrimmage/practice in Sherman or Wichita Falls, either. We are North Texas and both of those cities are decent sized communities that are in our footprint, too.

• Upvote 1

Really? We are trying to get people to Apogee, not be a traveling exhibition. What are they going to see at a scrimmage away from Apogee that would motivate them to drive to Denton for a game? We need people to get in the habit of coming to Denton. Furthermore, it would be an embarassment to go to Dallas, and the media writes we have 100k (or whatever is the daily count that day) but less than 1k show up for a scrimmage.

• Upvote 5

Really? We are trying to get people to Apogee, not be a traveling exhibition. What are they going to see at a scrimmage away from Apogee that would motivate them to drive to Denton for a game? We need people to get in the habit of coming to Denton. Furthermore, it would be an embarassment to go to Dallas, and the media writes we have 100k (or whatever is the daily count that day) but less than 1k show up for a scrimmage.

Well, they haven't gotten in the habit of coming up to Denton in the last 8 decades, so I suppose it might worth a try to bring a scrimmage or a practice in the springtime closer to some of our alumni and their friends and family. Or we can just keep doing things the way we have for those 8 decades...

Edited by untjim1995

The people out here in West Texas drive to Lubbock during the season. This was a way to bring the team to the fans, and allow the university to bring alums together which leads to donations. Some of you are in such a negative state of mind that you want to turn anything remotely positive into a negative. Worried about attendance, then invite every single coach from the Dallas ISD and the surrounding communities and leave the doors open for fans. Anybody that comes that doesn't normally make the drive to Denton for the games might become interested.

I live less than a mile from the practice field. I don't go to scrimmages. Season ticket holder. Scrimmages are boring.

This is the main problem with NT. We say we want to be a big boy, we talk about how cool it is that 60,000 show up for Alabama's or Nebraska's spring game and then we won't make the effort to travel less than a mile. It is about exposure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree. We have a great new $70 million dollar stadium that we can't get people to drive 30-40 minutes around the Metroplex to visit a weekend or two every year. I bet they spend more time each day in commuter traffic. They won't come up (or over) to Denton, though. Crazy.

Well, they haven't gotten in the habit of coming up to Denton in the last 8 decades, so I suppose it might worth a try to bring a scrimmage or a practice in the springtime closer to some of our alumni and their friends and family. Or we can just keep doing things the way we have for those 8 decades...

I see your point Jim, and it would be a great idea if we had some recent success that the, not folks here on this board, folks that you would be trying to reach can be excited about. They won't turn out because of improved grades. Besides, Little Guys truck might not be available to haul the garage sale stuff. : ). But you are so right in that we need to do something, but it starts and stops with winning.

The 'A' Train. Promote this thing. Educate people on how to use it and how to transfer from DART. Create schedules that coordinate with UNT events. Advertise in Krum, Aubrey etc., but remember that there is more to Dallas than NORTH Dallas. If we recruit inner city schools, we should seek out fans from those neighborhoods as well and show them how to get here.

We are all aware of SMU's poor (and inflated) attendance figures. They reflect a very limited fan base mostly in the Park Cities. They do not attract fans from all over Dallas. ( Thats a long way from the house that Doak built .) We SHOULD attract fans from all over Dallas, but it requires some effort and expense. It will pay off in the long run.

Again, remember that 1-35 is no fun, and for the first time in our automobile history more young people think of the automobile as a burden rather than a convenience. We have the means to make this work. We need the will.

Great ideas----only time this was ever tried was when Coach Fry was here. I don't think there are any stats kept on this but I would bet that there are more fans on the alumni side from outside the city of Denton than from Denton itself . I personally know people that come in from San Antonio, Waco, Weatherford, Corinth, Lewisville, Lake Dallas, Celina,Krum,and many others yet Development continues to court and praise little "d" which gives back absolutely zero in return!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have a practive in South Dallas, on or near the UNT Dallas campus. We recruit down there, so have the team hold a scrimage. Make more connections down there. Not just for attendance at games, but for recruiting purposes.

Have one at Prosper/Argyle/Celina. Get those small communities involved! Rotate each year.

Have one in Frisco, McKinney, Allen. Win them over. Rotate.

Thats the ticket!