Caleb Chumley to visit this weekend

NT03

So here's the situation. We currently have, at most, 63 current scholarship players on campus. This includes 4 guys from this signing class: an early enrollee/early high school grad (QB Connor Means), a grayshirt (OL Avery Fortenberry), and the two JUCO transfers (LB AJ Smith and QB Josh Greer).

You are allowed to sign 25 players per signing class. This includes: high school signees, JUCO signees, FBS scholarship transfers, and walkons put on scholarship before playing two seasons on the team as a walkon. So if a walkon plays just one season for a team, or none (we'll get to that later) as a walkon before being put on scholarship, then that former walkon counts toward the 25 man signing class that upcoming signing day.

You can sign more than 25 if you did not use all 25 scholarships in the previous class. For example, if you signed 23 kids (2 under 25) then you could sign 27 (2 over 25) the next year as long as at least 2 of those 27 enroll at mid-term/the spring semester, when their signing day occurs (like Connor Means and our JUCO guys). I thought we would be able to do that because I thought we only signed 23 kids last year, but we actually signed 25 counting Darnell Smith and Lynrick Pleasant, 2 walkons put on scholarship after just spending one season at UNT as walkons. So just 25 for this class.

According to Vito, we only have one spot left. By my count we should have two but I trust Vito. I just don't know where one of the spots went. We have 16 high school kids, 2 JUCOs, 1 grayshirt, and 1 FBS transfer if everyone committed signs. To my knowledge we only put 3 walkons who played less than 2 years at UNT on scholarship (Kenny Buyers, Blake Macek, Kaydon Kirby). Tanner Smith was put on scholarship as well, but he played his first two seasons plus his redshirt year as a walkon, so he shouldn't count. I must be missing a walkon or some grayshirt I don't know about, because that still leaves us with 23 guys in our class right now. So I don't know why we only have 1 spot left.

If we do in fact have just 1 spot left then we have two options to sign more than 1 more guy. We can A) Grayshirt a member of this signing class and have him enroll next spring or B) Blueshirt a kid. What blueshirting is, is where you get a commit to walkon at the beginning of fall camp, then you put him on scholarship before school actually starts. He doesn't end up paying any tuition, and he doesn't count towards his original signing class. He would count towards the next year's signing class (2015 class in this case). The catch is that the player cannot have been recruited which means he cannot have had an in-home visit with the coach and he cannot have gone on an official visit to the school where he is blueshirting.

The only commits who have not taken an official to UNT are, to my knowledge receivers Fonzale Davis and Jalen Adams and kicker Trevor Moore. So these guys could be blueshirt eligible. I could see a player with no other listed offers like Johnavahn Graham (also coming off broken leg surgery) being asked to grayshirt. Grayshirts are more likely IMO, but Blueshirts are far more intriguing.

Anyways, according to Vito we just have 1 spot left, so we would sign 16 high school kids on signing day that will enroll in the fall, (since Means, Fortenberry, and the two JUCOs are already enrolled). Add those 16 to the 63 players on campus right now and we have just 79 players on scholarship for next fall if no one else transfers out or quits, which is very unlikely. My point is that 79 is 6 players shy of the 85 scholarship max, so we have the open scholarships to blueshirt guys.

Sorry for the post length :)

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5

So here's the situation. We currently have, at most, 63 current scholarship players on campus. This includes 4 guys from this signing class: an early enrollee/early high school grad (QB Connor Means), a grayshirt (OL Avery Fortenberry), and the two JUCO transfers (LB AJ Smith and QB Josh Greer).

You are allowed to sign 25 players per signing class. This includes: high school signees, JUCO signees, FBS scholarship transfers, and walkons put on scholarship before playing two seasons on the team as a walkon. So if a walkon plays just one season for a team, or none (we'll get to that later), then that former walkon counts toward the 25 man signing class that upcoming signing day.

You can sign more than 25 if you did not use all 25 scholarships in the previous class. For example, if you signed 23 kids (2 under 25) then you could sign 27 (2 over 25) the next year as long as at least 2 of those 27 enroll at mid-term/the spring semester, when their signing day occurs (like Connor Means and our JUCO guys). I thought we would be able to do that because I thought we only signed 23 kids last year, but we actually signed 25 counting Darnell Smith and Lynrick Pleasant, 2 walkons put on scholarship after just spending one season at UNT as walkons. So just 25 for this class.

According to Vito, we only have one spot left. By my count we should have two but I trust Vito. I just don't know where one of the spots went. We have 17 high school kids, 2 JUCOs, 1 grayshirt, and 1 FBS transfer if everyone committed signs. To my knowledge we only put 3 walkons who played less than 2 years at UNT on scholarship (Kenny Buyers, Blake Macek, Kaydon Kirby). Tanner Smith was put on scholarship as well, but he played his first two seasons plus his redshirt year as a walkon, so he shouldn't count. I must be missing a walkon or some grayshirt I don't know about, because that still leaves us with 23 guys in our class right now. So I don't know why we only have 1 spot left.

If we do in fact have just 1 spot left then we have two options to sign more than 1 more guy. We can A) Grayshirt a member of this signing class and have him enroll next spring or B) Blueshirt a kid. What blueshirting is, is where you get a commit to walkon at the beginning of fall camp, then you put him on scholarship before school actually starts. He doesn't end up paying any tuition, and he doesn't count towards his original signing class. He would count towards the next year's signing class (2015 class in this case). The catch is that the player cannot have been recruited which means he cannot have had an in-home visit with the coach and he cannot have gone on an official visit to the school where he is blueshirting.

The only commits who have not taken an official to UNT are, to my knowledge receivers Fonzale Davis and Jalen Adams and kicker Trevor Moore. So these guys could be blueshirt eligible. I could see a player with no other listed offers like Johnavahn Graham (also coming off broken leg surgery) being asked to grayshirt. Grayshirts are more likely IMO, but Blueshirts are far more intriguing.

Anyways, according to Vito we just have 1 spot left, so we would sign 16 high school kids on signing day that will enroll in the fall, (since Means, Fortenberry, and the two JUCOs are already enrolled). Add those 16 to the 63 players on campus right now and we have just 79 players on scholarship for next fall if no one else transfers out or quits, which is very unlikely. My point is that 79 is 6 players shy of the 85 scholarship max, so we have the open scholarships to blueshirt guys.

Thanks for this.

As Plumm mentioned in another post - it is always nice to read your thoughts/explanations/insight on topics.

• Upvote 1

You are allowed to sign 25 players per signing class. This includes: high school signees, JUCO signees, FBS scholarship transfers, and walkons put on scholarship before playing two seasons on the team as a walkon. So if a walkon plays just one season for a team, or none (we'll get to that later), then that former walkon counts toward the 25 man signing class that upcoming signing day.

According to Vito, we only have one spot left. By my count we should have two but I trust Vito. I just don't know where one of the spots went. We have 17 high school kids, 2 JUCOs, 1 grayshirt, and 1 FBS transfer if everyone committed signs. To my knowledge we only put 3 walkons who played less than 2 years at UNT on scholarship (Kenny Buyers, Blake Macek, Kaydon Kirby). Tanner Smith was put on scholarship as well, but he played his first two seasons plus his redshirt year as a walkon, so he shouldn't count. I must be missing a walkon or some grayshirt I don't know about, because that still leaves us with 23 guys in our class right now. So I don't know why we only have 1 spot left.

+1

We all certainly appreciate the insight and work you put in on the recruiting front, but you might save you're self a bit of early-onset carpal-tunnel by simply saying "there are always available scholarships for the right players" If Da'Shawn Hand wants to break his Alabama commit and come here I have a feeling we'd find room.

• Upvote 1

+1

We all certainly appreciate the insight and work you put in on the recruiting front, but you might save you're self a bit of early-onset carpal-tunnel by simply saying "there are always available scholarships for the right players" If Da'Shawn Hand wants to break his Alabama commit and come here I have a feeling we'd find room.

I'm not one for delaying the inevitable ;)

Great post on what can be a very confusing topic for sure.

What I also take from what you are saying is that scholarships at UNT football are becoming even more precious then perhaps in past years.

The development of a stout walk-on program has provided UNT an avenue to actually get D-I production before rewarding with a scholarship. Your odds of hitting on a scholarship player go up dramatically when you can award a scholly to Blake Macek etc.

I get SO excited when I think about how this recruiting class is shaping up! Mac refuses to take short cuts -- we are signing primarily high school players in the State of Texas, in most cases red shirting them and letting have a year building up under Frank WIntrich. We have a system, a plan -- we have goals, objectives. We have achieved consistency in the coaching staff -- we have great assistants who are committed to the cause. Soon they will announce an extension for Coach Mac which God willing will keep him here for the rest of his career. We have a new president who understands the importance of athletics. We have outstanding facilities and a growing student population. We are in a great location right in the heart of so much football talent. Baseball is on the horizon. A new conference center and hotel being built right next to Apogee. The list goes on. I have said it before but I truly believe we are heading into a golden era of Mean Green athletics.

Xavier and Caleb and all of the other recruits have an opportunity to be a part of something REALLY special here.

Yes Harry, can't say I've been here as long as you guys (been loosely following the team for a while) but it sure does look like we could be headed into the golden era. Especially for football.

The beauty about the walkons on your team that earn scholarship are just that. They earned it and proved to be worth it. Some high school signees end up being busts, unfortunately. But the walkons you have on scholarship are the furthest thing from a bust. X and Chumley would be huge. We're starting to win recruiting battles and hopefully we can continue to win more.

• Upvote 1

Vito said we have two spots open now after the Brock transfer.

The Brock transfer didn't have anything to do with it. He opens a scholarship spot on the team (85 max) but not for our class (25 max counting scholarship transfers, grayshirts, and walkons put on scholarship after playing less than 2 seasons on the team as a walkon.

If we could sign players based on how many open scholarships we have open on the team then we could sign 7 more guys, in addition to our commits. We can only sign 2 more guys, in addition to our commits, whether Brock had transferred or not because of the 25 per class max.

Where that Berglund departure may come into play is for next year's class. We only have 17 scholarship seniors for next year, so if we had the full 85 on scholarship then we would only have 17 spots for next class. If we have 80 guys on scholarship after signing day then that's 5 more spots for next class, so a total of 22 spots. The chances of 3 more guys quitting or transfer before signing day 2015 is all but inevitable (just the way college football goes, so we will likely be able to sign 25 guys next year despite only having 17 scholarship seniors.

Edit: Kottman is transferring as a walkon. Won't count toward's next year's class.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1