DRC: Mitchell felt like it was right time to go

Brett Vito

so does most of the fanbase, with the way this thing is headed

“Coming back was the right decision,” Mitchell said. “We got after it every day. Coach is a life-changer. These guys [benford and his assistants] changed our lives. They held us accountable and made us work every day. They cussed us out. Coach Benford’s favorite phrase is, ‘Who’s going to feed your babies?’ It was fun for me on and off the court.”

• Upvote 1

“Coming back was the right decision,” Mitchell said. “We got after it every day. Coach is a life-changer. These guys [benford and his assistants] changed our lives. They held us accountable and made us work every day. They cussed us out. Coach Benford’s favorite phrase is, ‘Who’s going to feed your babies?’ It was fun for me on and off the court.”

TM said nice things about the coach sitting right next to him at a press conference provided by the university.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Coming back was the right decision, Mitchell said. We got after it every day. Coach is a life-changer. These guys [benford and his assistants] changed our lives. They held us accountable and made us work every day. They cussed us out. Coach Benfords favorite phrase is, Whos going to feed your babies? It was fun for me on and off the court.

Just ignore that 12-20 record and massive underachievement because TM chose to be very classy during his exit interview.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

"Who's going to feed your babies", huh? Sounds like coach Benford is going the 'better husbands and fathers' route.

I'm all for better fathers & husbands graduating from UNT...

It's easy to feed your babies when someone hands you a five year contract that abysmal performance won't revoke.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The point of my posting TM's quote was mainly to highlight the fact that he made them accountable. Read whatever you want into it. The usual suspects reacted as I expected.

And he is accountable for a 12-20 record and an abysmal disappointment of a season.

Oh wait, I forgot, he isn't accountable...

Tony Benford: Tony will be much more successful in the NBA when he isn't double-teamed with someone in front of him and behind him. They play a much quicker transition game where Tony can be more successful.

and he ran a half-court offense all season long...

That's right NT90 does not care if we don't graduate men. He rather win 20 games and have our players end up in jail 10 years from now or jobless and broke. The alumni on here make me sick. They are student athletes. Benford held them to a standard they had never been held to before. He asked them to handle their business in the classroom and make sure they have a future when basketball is done. There are players on the team with babies and he knows from experience that they need to grow up because basketball is not everything. You people are miserable and negative human beings. I am ashamed to have graduated from a University with alumni Iike this. I rather win 6 games a year and have our players grow into productive citizens in our country. I guess some people rather win confrence championships and then write our players off and not give them a future. Best case scenario you do both, but Benford saw that things needed to be changed in these young mens lives and he stepped in and was lie a father to them. If I were Tony Mitchell I would not give a dime to a University supported by such miserable human beings. Tony meant every word he said, but haters are going to hate. He should write off this university just based off of the stupidity written above.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Tony Benford: Tony will be much more successful in the NBA when he isn't double-teamed with someone in front of him and behind him. They play a much quicker transition game where Tony can be more successful.

and he ran a half-court offense all season long...

Their first option to score was always in transition. When it did not work they then set up their half court offense. Evergreens goal is to score in transition. That is basketball 101 and UNT did this like everyone else. The defense needs to improve going into next season so we can have more chances to score in transition (especially true with our lack of post play). I fear teams next season will over play on the three point line and we will run the risk of turning the ball over. Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

That's right NT90 does not care if we don't graduate men. He rather win 20 games and have our players end up in jail 10 years from now or jobless and broke. The alumni on here make me sick. They are student athletes. Benford held them to a standard they had never been held to before. He asked them to handle their business in the classroom and make sure they have a future when basketball is done. There are players on the team with babies and he knows from experience that they need to grow up because basketball is not everything. You people are miserable and negative human beings. I am ashamed to have graduated from a University with alumni Iike this. I rather win 6 games a year and have our players grow into productive citizens in our country. I guess some people rather win confrence championships and then write our players off and not give them a future. Best case scenario you do both, but Benford saw that things needed to be changed in these young mens lives and he stepped in and was lie a father to them. If I were Tony Mitchell I would not give a dime to a University supported by such miserable human beings. Tony meant every word he said, but haters are going to hate. He should write off this university just based off of the stupidity written above.

I would respond, but I don't even know who you are...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would respond, but I don't even know who you are...

Respond to what the truth? You made your point clear... Basketball means more to you then developing productive men. You made that point clear. You probably grew up in a nice house with both parents and a relatively easy life (we all hit the wall at times no matter where we come from). A lot of these young men in the college game come from broken homes and broken families. Basketballis not the only answer and they need a role model. I have seen from Benford tells me that he is that role model. He understands that the choices they make now will be stuck with them for the rest of their lives. Making grades, going to class, and learning to be responsible are all more important the learning the thunder or shuffle offense.

Yes we should have won more games this year, but I know for a fact we will improve next season. In the end these young men will be thanking Benford when they go off and have Real world jobs that do not require dribbling a basketball...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Respond to what the truth? You made your point clear... Basketball means more to you then developing productive men. You made that point clear. You probably grew up in a nice house with both parents and a relatively easy life (we all hit the wall at times no matter where we come from). A lot of these young men in the college game come from broken homes and broken families. Basketballis not the only answer and they need a role model. I have seen from Benford tells me that he is that role model. He understands that the choices they make now will be stuck with them for the rest of their lives. Making grades, going to class, and learning to be responsible are all more important the learning the thunder or shuffle offense.

Yes we should have won more games this year, but I know for a fact we will improve next season. In the end these young men will be thanking Benford when they go off and have Real world jobs that do not require dribbling a basketball...

So, your saying JJ had these yutes on the path to prison, eh? And Benford came in and turned that around, eh?

So explain to me how TM was an A-B honor roll student under JJ? And then explain to me the rumors of TM being sich a problem this year?

Please, Skiver, explain.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"Well the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some..."

• Upvote 2

So, your saying JJ had these yutes on the path to prison, eh? And Benford came in and turned that around, eh?

So explain to me how TM was an A-B honor roll student under JJ? And then explain to me the rumors of TM being sich a problem this year?

Please, Skiver, explain.

I never said JJ was a problem. I just think Benford is attempting to take it a step forward and be more then a coach to these athletes. I believe he is trying to be like a father to them. The skiver BS is also getting old. Grow up and move on....

The onlypoint I was trying to make is that collegeis about more then athletics. Very few people will grow up to become professional theltes, but they all need a degree and a bright future.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

They are student athletes.

Benford held them to a standard they had never been held to before. He asked them to handle their business in the classroom and make sure they have a future when basketball is done.

Benford saw that things needed to be changed in these young mens lives and he stepped in and was lie a father to them.

WBHXRCTLECCEMSW.20111021154556.jpg

Dear Like-A-Dad:

I keep hearing about your upstanding values, ethics, and morals. How you're forcing people to honor their obligations and be men of character. How education is coming first under you.

Can I have my scholarship back?

Love-

Trey

WBHXRCTLECCEMSW.20111021154556.jpg

Dear Like-A-Dad:

I keep hearing about your upstanding values, ethics, and morals. How you're forcing people to honor their obligations and be men of character. How education is coming first under you.

Can I have my scholarship back?

Love-

Trey

3577736.jpeg

Dear Trey:

Coach Benford is busy re-hanging suits, but he asked me to send you a letter in his place.

Unfortunately, scholarship opportunities are limited. Do you have 7 years of coaching experience and an academic passion for Interdisciplinary Studies? If not, I'm afraid there still isn't a place for you at North Texas.

Chin up and bundle up, young man. I took a geography class last semester, and we learned it gets awfully cold up there in South Dakota.

Hugs and kisses-

Cody

I never said JJ was a problem. I just think Benford is attempting to take it a step forward and be more then a coach to these athletes. I believe he is trying to be like a father to them. The skiver BS is also getting old. Grow up and move on....

The onlypoint I was trying to make is that collegeis about more then athletics. Very few people will grow up to become professional theltes, but they all need a degree and a bright future.

Just admit the very obvious, that you changed your screen name, and it will put it to rest. Kinda hurts your credibility just a tad.

Ya, we all know what college is about, and many other colleges managed to raise good fathers and husbands without destroying a program.

Here is a little prediction to put in your pipe and smoke. When Benfotd is let go 3 years from now, the next coach will come in and tell all of us how terrible the academics are and how he had to mold the young men his first year. It's called an excuse for losing/coach speak.

Don't believe me? Just look at the Dodge-Mac situation. Dodge was said to be raising fine fathers and hisbands, gets fired, Mac gets hired and immediately decries the academic problems in the program.

If one of you wanna be naive, feel free, but don't expect me to join you.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1