NMSU Conference Affiliation

El Paso Eagle

I would rather have them then some of the trash we picked up.

Right now I don't think we should try to pick anyone up. I guess they might be in the discussion for 2014 if Tulsa leaves, but I am not sure I would particularly like it even then. I do think C-USA actually hurt it self by reloading too quickly.

Edited by outoftown

• 2 weeks later...

any news on this front? Google got me nothin'

I'm thinking they stay in the WAC for Olympic sports and a Sun Belt football-only invite. what else is there?

1.) Tulsa leaves CUSA for Big lEast and Bankowsky grabs NMSU in the west (I don't think Tulsa is going anywhere; methinks the Big lEast is more likely to add UMass for football only in 2015 *or* leave ECU football only and eventually add UMass for all sports)

2.) Big lEast adds NMSU for football only in 2015 w/Navy (ridiculous)

am I missing anything? seems like the "happy" part can't include 1-AA so we can eliminate that option. I don't think the MWC will randomly come calling. Big 12? i laughed as a I typed it. it just seems like it's bound to be the SunBelt. that leaves them with 8 all-sports members, two non-football (UALR & UTA) and 1 football-only. It makes more sense to have 8 conference games, especially since every other conference has a minimum of 8 now

fans would be surprised about any news from New Mexico that didn't involve meth or aliens and happy they wont be independent or FCS

As funny as that is...I drove through New Mexico last summer, and based on their road system, I'd be surprised if meth and aliens weren't both involved somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

On the local sports talk show yesterday one of the local TV

Sports guys commented that there will be an announcement, probably in March,

that NMSU has something lined up. This guy is usually fairly accurate on the

comments he makes. Of course he used the old line of “I cannot not reveal my

sources” but he did say that NMSU fans would be surprised and happy

El Paso,

has the sports guy mentioned this again since? I'm still curious

• Upvote 1

Nothing yet. I'm still thinking it will be Football only deal

Nothing yet. I'm still thinking its made up.

No one wants New Mexico State. They might end up in the Sun Belt because they need a warm body, not because they want them.

No market, out of the foot print, bad at football.

any news on this front? Google got me nothin'

I'm thinking they stay in the WAC for Olympic sports and a Sun Belt football-only invite. what else is there?

1.) Tulsa leaves CUSA for Big lEast and Bankowsky grabs NMSU in the west (I don't think Tulsa is going anywhere; methinks the Big lEast is more likely to add UMass for football only in 2015 *or* leave ECU football only and eventually add UMass for all sports)

2.) Big lEast adds NMSU for football only in 2015 w/Navy (ridiculous)

I think its The Belt for football only,and who knows where their other sports go. If they hit a home run with bases loaded it's the MWC,which would offset Hawaii"s football only membership .

am I missing anything? seems like the "happy" part can't include 1-AA so we can eliminate that option. I don't think the MWC will randomly come calling. Big 12? i laughed as a I typed it. it just seems like it's bound to be the SunBelt. that leaves them with 8 all-sports members, two non-football (UALR & UTA) and 1 football-only. It makes more sense to have 8 conference games, especially since every other conference has a minimum of 8 now