Aggies leave no doubt

emmitt01

Nope! I'm surrounded by Aggies and texas couldn't be any further from their conversations or concerns except for the butt of jokes and laughter.

A&M has 7....THAT'S SEVEN Congrssional Medal of Honor Award recipients to their school's alumni list...and it just goes on from there, including a Hiesman by a multiple record breaking QB that now must win a NC to only show improvement. They are on top right now looking down on us all....tU included.

Rick

Don't leave out Heisman trophy winner John David Crow from the '50's.

They did a bang up job in the Big XII. How many conference championships did they win? Did they win the SEC championship?

They weren't terribly competative so they took their ball and went home. Now they complain they won't play Texas. Frankly I hope Texas continues to shun them. A&M is a bizarre group of people that wish they were UT. One season doesn't mean crap.

UNTexas,

Texas A&M was a middling Big XII team. Frequently finishing around 4th-7th in the conference. They are now a middling SEC team, finishing 5th-6th in the conference. They're right about where they've always been right now, but on a much bigger platform with a guy playing QB that I'd sell my soul to have here (and I really home BB is gonna be that kind of spark for us)... But saying they weren't terribly competitive? that statement alone calls in to question your intelligence and football knowledge.

if you’re a fan of a Big 12 school, more than likely you’re still bitter about the Aggies bolting for that other league. Sorry to break it to you, but A&M is completely legit. So too is that Heisman-winning quarterback Manziel. If you’re incapable of at least giving Manziel and the Aggies their deserved due now, you’re not worthy of that same respect yourself. But don't be bitter about it.

I guess we're going to Conference USA from the Belt because we couldn't be competitive so we're taking our ball and going home? that's ridiculous. just like our move to CUSA, the SEC was an upgrade for them.

• Upvote 2

Texas A&M was a middling Big XII team. Frequently finishing around 4th-7th in the conference. They are now a middling SEC team, finishing 5th-6th in the conference. They're right about where they've always been right now, but on a much bigger platform

They finished this year in 2nd place (out of 7) in the SEC West; they finished last year in 7th place (out of 10) in the Big 12. They've clearly taken a jump this year.

Although I don't believe their jump has any major direct relation to their move to the SEC.

• Upvote 1

They finished this year in 2nd place (out of 7) in the SEC West; they finished last year in 7th place (out of 10) in the Big 12.

by your reasoning, they finished 1st place (out of 6) in the Big XII South in 2010...

I think more accurately, they finished 3rd place (out of 7) in the SEC West behind Alabama and LSU (who has tiebreaker due to the head-to-head 24-19 victory), and with Florida's head to head win and Georgia's SEC East championship, as well as South Carolina's identical league record, I'll stand by my "5th-6th place" assessment. Pretty sure they finished top 3 in the Big XII (out of 12) in that aforementioned 2010 season with wins over both the North and South champ

• Upvote 3

Hey, on a non-related topic--never was, actually--do you know if Bama, LSU, or Florida shared any Tier 3 money with aTm? Surely they did? Right?

As far as I know (thanks in no small part to my previously-noted extraordinary ability to utilize search engines), SEC teams retain their Tier III rights, just as in the Big XII.

Which, if I were a thinking man- and I fancy myself one, from time to time - might lead me to believe that the whole "we're leaving because of The Longhorn Network (UT's third-tier money deal)" was a load of hot garbage, sour grapes, or some other expression that stops just short of the end result of a cow's dinner.

But now they get to be a part of a "family." And really, can you put a price on family?

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1

This is so entertaining to me.

Some of you spent a lot of energy proclaiming to any and everyone that aTm was making a drastic mistake going to the SEC. Told us all how they would never be competitive. Swore that they would spend years getting their brains beaten in and would struggle just to be mediocre.

Then, after they took down the SEC champ at their place, and mud hole stomped an OU team that ran UT out of the building, I started a thread pointing out how ridiculous this whole "they're all gonna die" premise was. Your response? Blah blah blah, they're really in 5th place, blah, blah, blah UT down year, blah blah blah, I'm sorry Mr. Bevo did I not get that left boot clean enough, blah, blah, blah.

All I'm asking for is a little consistency. Perhaps a simple "dang, I was wrong. aTm didn't get blown out in every game. In fact, were they in the Big XII I'm not so sure they couldn't have won the damn thing." You know, truth.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

This is so entertaining to me.

Some of you spent a lot of energy proclaiming to any and everyone that aTm was making a drastic mistake going to the SEC. Told us all how they would never be competitive. Swore that they would spend years getting their brains beaten in and would struggle just to be mediocre.

Then, after they took down the SEC champ at their place, and mud hole stomped an OU team that ran UT out of the building, I started a thread pointing out how ridiculous this whole "they're all gonna die" premise was. Your response? Blah blah blah, they're really in 5th place, blah, blah, blah UT down year, blah blah blah, I'm sorry Mr. Bevo did I not get that left boot clean enough, blah, blah, blah.

All I'm asking for is a little consistency. Perhaps a simple "dang, I was wrong. aTm didn't get blown out in every game. In fact, were they in the Big XII I'm not so sure they couldn't have won the damn thing." You know, truth.

I don't recall posting about it--I certainly didn't spend much energy proclaiming it to anyone, much less everyone--but I honestly doubted that Sumlin's offense would succeed in the SEC. I was definitely wrong about that.

Is that what you were looking for?

• Upvote 1

I don't recall posting about it--I certainly didn't spend much energy proclaiming it to anyone, much less everyone--but I honestly doubted that Sumlin's offense would succeed in the SEC. I was definitely wrong about that.

Bingo.

And trust me, saying that Sumlin's offense wouldn't succeed in the SEC was a far cry from the "they'll rue the day they left the Big XII...just ask Arkansas" crap that was spewed. Some even went so far as to say that they would struggle out there in the cold so far from the warmth of big brother's shadow.

Yeah, I think most people figured they'd be a middle of the pack SEC team. I'm sure they'll be terrific again next year. Again, they had a great year. Heisman trophy, 11-2, Cotton Bowl victory over oU. Awesome.

• Upvote 1

And trust me, saying that Sumlin's offense wouldn't succeed in the SEC was a far cry from the "they'll rue the day they left the Big XII...just ask Arkansas" crap that was spewed. Some even went so far as to say that they would struggle out there in the cold so far from the warmth of big brother's shadow.

I think 90% of Aggies (made up arbitrary stat) thought they'd have a hard time competing this year. And let's be honest, without Manziel- the X-factor- they might only have been a 6-8 win club. Or they might have still been good. Who knows. But good on them for grabbing the kid and Sumlin- who I've always thought to be a great coach- for putting him in a position to succeed. This is the best staff A&M has had in decades, if not ever.

I also think leaving the shadow of Texas was a great move for them- if they could win. And you know what? They did. I mock the stupid reasons Aggies cited for leaving, not the act itself. Why not just say it's a better deal for the A&M program and move on? Why must they constantly bemoan the Longhorns with each and everything thing they do? They largely bring the Little Brother thing upon themselves. And maybe now they've finally shaken free of it.

I've got a lot of happy A&M alums that I consider great friends. That's all I really care about with respects to any of this trivial nonsense. (Says the guy who has posted more on this thread than he did in all of 2012).

Holla.

While I enjoyed reading this thread. WHAT THE HELL DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH UNT FOOTBALL?

And don't give me the bullshit, it's a Texas team. So what it's not North Texas. Emmitt this thread belongs in the Eagles Nest, not the football forum.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNTexas,

Texas A&M was a middling Big XII team. Frequently finishing around 4th-7th in the conference. They are now a middling SEC team, finishing 5th-6th in the conference. They're right about where they've always been right now, but on a much bigger platform with a guy playing QB that I'd sell my soul to have here (and I really home BB is gonna be that kind of spark for us)... But saying they weren't terribly competitive? that statement alone calls in to question your intelligence and football knowledge.

if youre a fan of a Big 12 school, more than likely youre still bitter about the Aggies bolting for that other league. Sorry to break it to you, but A&M is completely legit. So too is that Heisman-winning quarterback Manziel. If youre incapable of at least giving Manziel and the Aggies their deserved due now, youre not worthy of that same respect yourself. But don't be bitter about it.

I guess we're going to Conference USA from the Belt because we couldn't be competitive so we're taking our ball and going home? that's ridiculous. just like our move to CUSA, the SEC was an upgrade for them.

Calm down Dr.Phil,

No one is bitter here and no one needs lectures about respect. I said I don't believe the hype. Let's see how they do next year and then I will form an opinion. I support any Texas schools when they aren't playing UNT except A&M. I formed that opinion by playing them in football. I am pretty open about that. I played college football at UNT so don't bother questioning my knowledge of football. If "middling" is a terribly competative team, then you don't know a thing about college football. "Middling", that is first for me in any sport. Don't lecture if you are preaching about finishing in the middle as competative. The goal is to win championships. Not get a ribbon for trying.

They have a good QB. No question. If they win the SEC or put together a national championship then they will be a great team. For now, they are an above average team with high hopes.

The SEC is not better than the Big XII. That's an argument in and of itself. Especially with the future changes. They were upset that UT wouldn't share the wealth. They were pretty open about that. So were some other schools. I don't see why anyone should share their profits. If they needed to get away from being in the shadow of UT, good, best of luck. They can change their song while they are at it. It's reeks of stalker or inferiority complex. Yes, they left to another conference. I could care less. It won't change my opinion about them as a institution.

As far as Conference USA and us. We suck. It may not be a step up with all the changes these days. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Not trying to argue, but I don't really need a lecture about football, respect, or whatever..

So please slow your roll. Today I am just upset Sam Houston lost the National Championship, again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

While I enjoyed reading this thread. WHAT THE HELL DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH UNT FOOTBALL?

And don't give me the bullshit, it's a Texas team. So what it's not North Texas. Emmitt this thread belongs in the Eagles Nest, not the football forum.

Take 'er easy. It's never going to be 100% UNT-only threads. It's just the nature of internet forums.

I, for one, am fascinated with this: I openly stated my skepticism about Sumlin succeeding in the SEC. Not only did he have a great season, it was his FIRST season, and with players that weren't his.

Those last two points seem to be recurring excuses in UNT football, and our athletic department in general. You might consider that a weak link, but there it is: a link to UNT football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Calm down Dr.Phil,

No one is bitter here and no one needs lectures about respect. I said I don't believe the hype. Let's see how they do next year and then I will form an opinion. I support any Texas schools when they aren't playing UNT except A&M. I formed that opinion by playing them in football. I am pretty open about that. I played college football at UNT so don't bother questioning my knowledge of football. If "middling" is a terribly competative team, then you don't know a thing about college football. "Middling", that is first for me in any sport. Don't lecture if you are preaching about finishing in the middle as competative. The goal is to win championships. Not get a ribbon for trying.

They have a good QB. No question. If they win the SEC or put together a national championship then they will be a great team. For now, they are an above average team with high hopes.

The SEC is not better than the Big XII. That's an argument in and of itself. Especially with the future changes. They were upset that UT wouldn't share the wealth. They were pretty open about that. So were some other schools. I don't see why anyone should share their profits. If they needed to get away from being in the shadow of UT, good, best of luck. They can change their song while they are at it. It's reeks of stalker or inferiority complex. Yes, they left to another conference. I could care less. It won't change my opinion about them as a institution.

As far as Conference USA and us. We suck. It may not be a step up with all the changes these days. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Not trying to argue, but I don't really need a lecture about football, respect, or whatever..

So please slow your roll. Today I am just upset Sam Houston lost the National Championship, again.

Nah, the SEC isn't better than the Big XII. They're just working on national title number seven...in a row, just have more ranked teams and more highly ranked teams year in and year out, and have beaten their Big XII opponent when they've squared off in the NC game lately. If you're waiting for the Aggies to win a national title to be "great", it seems a little strange that the conference that's collecting them like stamps is somehow not at the top of your hierarchy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1