Boise State deal & MWC has to invite SD State before anyone else

— The Mountain West will extend an option to San Diego State to join the league before offering membership to any other institution. The right of first option to San Diego State shall expire on Jan. 31.

While the MWC must extend an option for SDSU to apply for re-admission by 1/31,it does not have to accept them. The A.D. at SDSU burned a lot of bridges on his rush to Big Least,and the MWC is making them squirm. I read online that they have been told that they do not have enough votes for approval.Gamesmanship.

While the MWC must extend an option for SDSU to apply for re-admission by 1/31,it does not have to accept them. The A.D. at SDSU burned a lot of bridges on his rush to Big Least,and the MWC is making them squirm. I read online that they have been told that they do not have enough votes for approval.Gamesmanship.

They might make SDSU squirm, but they will let them back in. SDSU is a better overall program than most of the new MWC members and will help the conference overall. There is making someon squirm a bit and then there is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see CUSA and MWC dissolve the Big East and have 2 equally strong conferences. Below is just an idea of what that could look like. With all the conference shakeup going on, I probably forgot a team or two, but this would make for some great competition.

MWC

- Boise State

- San Diego St.

- UNLV

- Colorado St.

- Air Force

- Fresno St.

- Hawaii

- SJSU

- Nevada

- New Mexico

- Utah State

- Wyoming

- UTEP

- SMU

- Houston

- BYU

CUSA

- North Texas

- Rice

- Memphis

- ECU

- Tulsa

- Southern Miss

- Tulane

- La Tech

- Marshall

- MTSU

- FAU

- FIU

- UCF

- USF

- UAB

- Old Dominion

- UTSA

- UNCC

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 2

I would like to see CUSA and MWC dissolve the Big East and have 2 equally strong conferences. Below is just an idea of what that could look like. With all the conference shakeup going on, I probably forgot a team or two, but this would make for some great competition.

MWC

- Boise State

- San Diego St.

- UNLV

- Colorado St.

- Air Force

- Fresno St.

- Hawaii

- SJSU

- Nevada

- New Mexico

- Utah State

- Wyoming

- UTEP

- SMU

- Houston

- BYU

CUSA

- North Texas

- Rice

- Memphis

- ECU

- Tulsa

- La Tech

- Marshall

- MTSU

- FAU

- FIU

- Old Dominion

- UTSA

- UNCC

- UCF

- USF

- UAB

So are you kicking Southern Miss out of C-USA? Not allowing Tulane back? I can think of several teams I'd kick out of that arrangement first.

So are you kicking Southern Miss out of C-USA? Not allowing Tulane back? I can think of several teams I'd kick out of that arrangement first.

Good catch. I will update the original post.

Can CUSA kick teams out? If so, it would be nice to get rid of 2 out of UNCC, Old Domionion, FAU, or FIU.

Edited by cdizzle86

I would expect SDSU to come back but they aren't in near the crack that Boise was. SDSU's membership in the Big West gives the quite a few games that non-revenue sports can bus to.

Agreed, but the big hangup is SDSU basketball. The Aztecs are used to drawing around 16,000 at their arena and 8,000+ average from MWC members on with UNLV and New Mexico well above that. The Big West draws an average of a little more than 2,000 per contest. San Diego State will lose heavily at the box office. They'll do well to draw as many as the lowest-rated MWC member would bring.

Edited by GrayEagle

As long as they have that big basketball power you let them back in. That conference in bball is loaded including Wyoming's undefeated team this year. CSU is always strong as well. That is a stout league no matter how you slice it in bball: UNLV,UNM,SDSU,CSU,Wyoming, Boise. Hawaii and Nevada have been known to make some noise as well!

CUSA needs to get its hoops and football in order!

GMG

MWC

- Boise State

- San Diego St.

- UNLV

- Colorado St.

- Air Force

- Fresno St.

- Hawaii

- SJSU

- Nevada

- New Mexico

- Utah State

- Wyoming

- UTEP

- SMU

- Houston

- BYU

CUSA

- North Texas

- Rice

- Memphis

- ECU

- Tulsa

- Southern Miss

- Tulane

- La Tech

- Marshall

- MTSU

- FAU

- FIU

- UCF

- USF

- UAB

- Old Dominion

- UTSA

- UNCC

why don't you combine big east whth cusa and see how that shakes out

why don't you combine big east whth cusa and see how that shakes out

Thought about that, but it was completely lopsided in terms of the number of teams that would make the new CUSA. I don't see any conference going to 18+ anytime soon. I also doubt SMU and Houston would entertain that idea.

I think that if SDSU returns to MWC, and that the MWC stays at 12, which they always have been, that SMU and Houston's options are limited. Either back track to CUSA, or stay the course with Big LEAST,with understanding that Cincy and U.Con are out of there as soon as they can find a place to go. That would leave only the 6 newbes from CUSA plus Temple and UCF.I like our position.

I think that if SDSU returns to MWC, and that the MWC stays at 12, which they always have been, that SMU and Houston's options are limited. Either back track to CUSA, or stay the course with Big LEAST,with understanding that Cincy and U.Con are out of there as soon as they can find a place to go. That would leave only the 6 newbes from CUSA plus Temple and UCF.I like our position.

The problem I see with that scenario is that even with only 6 members remaining, they will still have enough power to raid CUSA. Next thing you know, we are in the "Sun Belt" again.

The problem I see with that scenario is that even with only 6 members remaining, they will still have enough power to raid CUSA. Next thing you know, we are in the "Sun Belt" again.

I remain befuddled by a lot of this musical-chairs-Chinese-fire-drill comings and goings. But I seem to recall that the last of the "power" and/or "draw" to the BE gathered themselves up and left to go form their own new BB league.

What happens if MWC takes back SDSU and desides to expand east,adding UTEP,SMU,Houston, and Tulsa? Will be interesting to see if they stay at 12 members, their historical number.