Derek Thompson Tweet

Harry

It ain't the message it's the delivery.

Ok, let's try this.

Our basketball program is abysmal.

Our coach, by the accounts of everyone but a few (including several NBA scouts, and OPPOSING fans), is in over his head.

Our players, who were on the verge of a conference title without two of their most highly regarded players (who were VERY productive prior to leaving at semester break), are now being blamed for the horrendous record.

One of our players, who WILL be playing NBA ball next season, is miserable and it shows...and is being thrown under the same bus as the other players.

Months of national hype and the opportunity for true local and regional media coverage have now been lost.

Our football program was 4-8 last season.

The year before they were 5-7.

Those that point to "improvement" use the Todd Dodge era (easily the worst in our school's history and a strong contender for worst ever) as their basis for judging said "improvement."

After being told for two years that we would recruit almost exclusively from the high school ranks we are now loading up on JUCO's at positions that are glaringly weak. And the high school recruits we are landing, with a few exceptions, were bound for 1AA or D2 careers if not for our offer.

Tell me, please, because I promise to follow your sage advice...how best should one "deliver" this message?

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So what I'm hearing is in addition to the on campus t-shirt cannon, we need some sort of Cat-in-the-hat like t-shirt exchanging vacuum.

It's not the logisitcs of this t-shirt vacuum that have be concerned but the potenital sexual harassment liability.

So what I'm hearing is in addition to the on campus t-shirt cannon, we need some sort of Cat-in-the-hat like t-shirt exchanging vacuum.

It's not the logisitcs of this t-shirt vacuum that have be concerned but the potenital sexual harassment liability.

In lieu of the vacuum I'm told RV's office is always available for the ladies.

(His words, not mine)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Ok, let's try this.

Our basketball program is abysmal.

Our coach, by the accounts of everyone but a few (including several NBA scouts, and OPPOSING fans), is in over his head.

Our players, who were on the verge of a conference title without two of their most highly regarded players (who were VERY productive prior to leaving at semester break), are now being blamed for the horrendous record.

One of our players, who WILL be playing NBA ball next season, is miserable and it shows...and is being thrown under the same bus as the other players.

Months of national hype and the opportunity for true local and regional media coverage have now been lost.

Our football program was 4-8 last season.

The year before they were 5-7.

Those that point to "improvement" use the Todd Dodge era (easily the worst in our school's history and a strong contender for worst ever) as their basis for judging said "improvement."

After being told for two years that we would recruit almost exclusively from the high school ranks we are now loading up on JUCO's at positions that are glaringly weak. And the high school recruits we are landing, with a few exceptions, were bound for 1AA or D2 careers if not for our offer.

Tell me, please, because I promise to follow your sage advice...how best should one "deliver" this message?

+1

Heck at this point, the only advice I could offer is to not go into the Police'n or Firefight'n business. It seems to have a negative impact on your view of current UNT Athletics!

Somehow, I can look at those same items and see a different view of the current state of affairs, especially football. Basketball is a different animal, but when I see everyone trying to lay this 100% at the feet of the new coach, I have to call BS. I see several players way under achieving based on their ability and I think they should be held accountable as well. It is 98% fire Benford on here, so I try to offer an alternate opinion. Wouldn't want everyone on here agreeing all the time. How fun would that be?

• Upvote 1

"Meatloaf is now crowloaf?" Good lord that is lame, just how dorky are you in real life? This is why I usually ignore your posts, you are horrible at smack talk. You or Kram (who actually doesn't like me because I said something about him being old or something like that once) try to come at me almost every time I post something even when it has absolutely nothing to do with flaming or trolling and you guys fail miserably doing so.

ANYWAY, relating to the thread. This was a problem on the UH campus for quite a while until Khator and some UH professors started a campaign about 4 years ago called "Keep Houston Red". That and the recent success of the football team and the rise of 5-star recruit Danuel House leading the now 10-2 basketball team has cause the number of people wearing other school's shirts on campus has dropped dramatically. The ONLY person I've seen on campus wearing another school's shirt since I got here was some dude in the library wearing a Yale shirt.

As far as how the Keep Houston Red campaign works, is that there is always a place where you can trade in other school's shirts and get a free UH t-shirt in return. The goal of that is to eliminate the excuse of "I don't have a UH shirt and can't afford one at the bookstore." This was also why they give out over 5000 t-shirts on game day as well. (Even though I have NEVER seen anybody wear another school's shirt at a UH football or basketball game unless they were the opposing team's fans)

When we had our basketball game against Aggy at the beginning of the month, Keep Houston Red had an event where if you had an Aggy shirt, you can exchange for a UH shirt and a Popcorn voucher. Also what professors are doing now, is if you were to come into their class with another school's shirt on, they will make you turn it inside out and tell you to come by their office later on for a UH shirt.

I think UNT needs a "Keep Denton Green" campaign similar to UH. An aggressive administration plus a winning football and/or basketball team will do wonders for school spirit and eliminating the other school's t-shirts on campus problem. When I was at UNT, I was annoyed at seeing people wear other school's crap on campus and even my roommate I had an apartment with wore Whorn gear around campus and we lived literally a five minute WALK from the Super Pit yet he refused to go to the UNT games and instead watched Whorn games on TV and always said "we" when referring to them. He didn't even know who Tony Mitchell was until I told him. Even then, he still wasn't interested.

UNT really needs to reach out to students like him if they want to make this less of a problem. I know Villareal does it, but just hi, doing it is not enough.

This is why he isn't kicked.... Some if you may feel what he said above is pointless and a rant. Regardless of his current allegiance he makes a point and tells his own UNT story (in this case). Cougar....just lay off the troll posts and most of us can appreciate a 3rd party perspective