Setting the record straight on Mac's recruiting

Harry

Mac was hired in late November basically December of 2010. Recruiting shuts down during the holidays and basically Mac had a couple of months to put that class together. Most of that class was redshirted and some of them are playing right now including Antoinne Jimmerson, Zach Whitfield, Derek Akunne, Laramie Lee, Cyril Lemon, Alex Lincoln and Daryl Mason. Andy Power and Brett Osborn were the only two juco's he signed. Power had a good career here despite injury.

In 2011 Mac had his second class and the VAST majority of these players are being redshirted this season with few exceptions primarily on special teams.

Mac did not sign a bunch of Juco quick fixes and has not knee jerked and rushed a bunch of young guys on the field. So please quit saying that Mac is responsible for the players we have when he is not. He is only responsible for wins and losses and frankly, he was given very little to work with from a personnel perspective. As I have chronicled on here often, Dodge had two heavy juco classes in a desperate move to keep his job and that is exactly why we have only 6-7 scholarship seniors. We are now paying the price for that.

Now, as somebody pointed out earlier, next season, Mac will have three classes under his belt and he should then hold more responsibility for the players we have.

To say Mac hasn't recruited well just isn't true because we haven't seen the majority of his players even step on the field yet!

This post has been promoted to an article

Juco players can be very valuable if recruited properly. There are many Juco players starting for SEC schools(Alabama and others) as well as many other very successful programs such as K-State, who has relied heavily on Juco players. I have not been impressed with the talent level of our recruits. Time will tell.

• Downvote 2

Juco players can be very valuable if recruited properly. There are many Juco players starting for SEC schools(Alabama and others) as well as many other very successful programs such as K-State, who has relied heavily on Juco players. I have not been impressed with the talent level of our recruits. Time will tell.

Alabama, K-State, do NOT rely heavily on JUCOS...that just isn't true.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Solid reasoning! This is why I am willing to wait and see how McCarney does with some of his recruits next year.

We all want immediate results, but the reality is we may have to be a bit more patient. Looking forward to next year.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Ya you know - K-State signed 14 last year -

L27.gifK-State has had 27 former junior college players earn All-Big 12 honors

Ok...you have me on K-State, I am telling you, that is the exception. The teams that are good year in and year out are not building their rosters through JUCOS. The good teams TRADITIONALLY build through HS recruiting. That was my point

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter who he signed his first two years. He went 5-7 and 4-8, and has an overall losing record versus Sun Belt competition. We are playing in the lowest rung of FBS competition.

The thing he hasn't stockpiled is DTs and WRs. If he doesn't get runstoppers and platmakers, the quality of this team will not change.

And, if the quality doesn't change, no new fans are attracted, and we are...continually walking the treadmill to nowhere competitively.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I didn't know our recruits measured up to the level of K-State & Alabama's?

I didn't know that Dodge's recruiting was on par with the Big 12 & SEC's so could get the same level of Juco transfers.

This is a dumb argument. No one is saying being a juco makes you a bad person, but everyone knows jucos are not the way to rebuild a team. Jucosare a way to close a gap at a few positions.

Also this juco sub-debate doesn't address the big picture. MAC has sat his recruits to build them up and learn his system.

One of the reason's I really like MAC is he says what everyone thinks, but never says. A lot of these guys don't looks like D1 players.

• Upvote 1

Which of the redshirted players made the decision to go into a shell when we were up 14 to end the 3rd quarter? Which one of them called the ultra conservative and ultra predictable offense all year? You can defend his recruiting til the cows come home...it's the coaching that many of us are perplexed by.

And, more to the point, which of them is of sufficient quality that they'll make a difference next year? Look at the commits we are pulling in...they have D1 size but I aint seein D1 pedigree.

When, oh when, will we not be the school of "next year"?

• Upvote 2

Which of the redshirted players made the decision to go into a shell when we were up 14 to end the 3rd quarter

When you have a QB that you don't trust to throw the rock what would you suggest you call? Have DT sling the rock around. When up 14 at the end of 3 going into a shell and running the ball(which you've done all game) is typically what you do

• Upvote 2

Hey lookit - EVERYONE is disappointed about this season. And yes, typically when you are having a down year you look to recruiting (or lack thereof) as a possible culprit. So it's a fairly normal thing to think about when you are scratching your head after a 4-8 season. What I am trying to say here is it's just not the case here in this situation with Mac...yet.

Another valid concern is why have we consistently gone so conservative in games. When you look at the pick six DT threw at the very beginning of the 2nd half I think you see the reason why.

Mac and his staff really recruit well in this upcoming class but it will likely not make a huge impact in the upcoming season because he likes to sign mainly high school recruits who he typically redshirts. He has some VERY key transfers coming in next season that we know of (Berglund at QB, Terrell at WR and Pegram at RB). The transfers could/should help immediately.

My primary concern with this team/program right now is defensive line. We have 6 guys who are redshirting on the d-line (Jerrian Roberts, Dutton Watson, Sir Calvin Wallace, Brad Horton, Dylan McDorman, Malik Dilonga). These are the guys who really have a chance to step up and make an impact next season. If Mac, or Skladany or Mike Nelson have any question about whether or not they can they better look long and hard at trying to infuse a Juco here or there. Not a lot mind you, but with Cantly and Obi graduating you need to fill some gaps.

To think that a freshman they recruit in this upcoming class could help immediately in the defensive line is a stretch. I know of very few who have here in the time I have been following the program. GMG

I'll trust the other D1 coaches who didn't extend an offer.

What players are you referring to and how do you know they were not offered?

How many D1 coaches offered Booger, Quinn, Cobbs, Kassel, etc..? By the way, they are all HOF'ers.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When you have a QB that you don't trust to throw the rock what would you suggest you call? Have DT sling the rock around. When up 14 at the end of 3 going into a shell and running the ball(which you've done all game) is typically what you do

Here is my question, and I really don't know the answer: DT was the best QB we had on the roster this year who could remotely pass to open WR's? If so, why are we bothering to redshirt McNulty?