Is there too much focus put on athleticism?

Harry

I ask this question because we knew going into this year that there wasn't a "pure" shooter on this team.

Seems to me like a "pure" shooters stock has devalued over the years. Doesn't have to be the biggest guy or the fastest but can 9 out of 10 times hit a wide open jumper (or three) when given the chance. I'm thinking of guys like Majerl, Steve Kerr, Austin Carr, Steve Alford and of course Pistol Pete Maravich.

I ask this of the basketball afficianados - is the short slow guy that can shoot lights out being overlooked in today's college basketball?

I ask this question because we knew going into this year that there wasn't a "pure" shooter on this team.

Seems to me like a "pure" shooters stock has devalued over the years. Doesn't have to be the biggest guy or the fastest but can 9 out of 10 times hit a wide open jumper (or three) when given the chance. I'm thinking of guys like Majerl, Steve Kerr, Austin Carr, Steve Alford and of course Pistol Pete Maravich.

I ask this of the basketball afficianados - is the short slow guy that can shoot lights out being overlooked in today's college basketball?

Better throw Rip Hamilton, Jason Terry, etc... in there just so this doesn't go in an unintended direction.

• Upvote 1

Just to clarify: Harry, by too much focus put on guys with athleticism, do you mean not enough is being put on the guys with the lunchpail, high basketball-IQ guys?

I think harry means: everyone worries about finding a streetball athlete like Tim Duncan. But he's never won anything without the fundamental soundness and shooting accuracy of Jeff Braswell. Duncan was nothing without Braswell backing up his circus alley oops and posturing.

I wouldn't say Stephen Curry was incredibly athletic. But he could shoot the effing ball. I know Curry's don't grow on trees, but with no outside threat we are in deep trouble.

Still, we have time to turn this around. I am trying to forget last night - onward and upward.

I wouldn't say Stephen Curry was incredibly athletic. But he could shoot the effing ball. I know Curry's don't grow on trees, but with no outside threat we are in deep trouble.

Still, we have time to turn this around. I am trying to forget last night - onward and upward.

Curry was all flash. Jimmer Fredette could SHOOT.

People just got into the hype and drank the green koolaid is all. Same thing with football, we always hear so and so is looking so good this year, "insert player name" is so fast on the secondary.

Idiot Unt homer response: I see a 9 win season!!!!!!!!!!!

It just happened to basketball this year.

It'd be one thing if it was just us. But we were on all sorts of "teams to watch" lists this summer and fall.

People just got into the hype and drank the green koolaid is all. Same thing with football, we always hear so and so is looking so good this year, "insert player name" is so fast on the secondary.

Idiot Unt homer response: I see a 9 win season!!!!!!!!!!!

It just happened to basketball this year.

But we have actually been good at basketball. We don't have any football players as top 10 draft picks on our team. We didn't have one of the best recruiting classes in the country in football. Plus, many writers created this wagon we jumped on.