Who is your surprise player for 2012-13?

Harry

I'm going with Justin Patton...I think he's a bit of a lost soul amongst the hype surrounding this team. I think his versatility will allow Benford a variety of different line-up options...he's athletic enough to guard some teams' 2-guards, but strong enough and rebounds well enough to see stretches at the 4. I imagine he'll be rather hungry after sitting out last season...I also believe that from spending the last year with this team he'll recognize exactly and embrace what his role on this team will be...periphery scorer, versatile defender, second or third rebounder...but he's also a guy who has been an offensive focal point and won't shy away if called upon to carry a larger scoring load at some point.

• Upvote 1

I believe that there will be improvement from Jordan W but he's already #3 IMO so his being better is no surprise. Niko could very well be the most improved player and not make much of an impact. I'm really not expecting a great deal from Coleman so if he does well at rebounding and defense with an occasional put back he'll have the best chance to surprise me.

• Upvote 1

I'm going with Justin Patton...I think he's a bit of a lost soul amongst the hype surrounding this team. I think his versatility will allow Benford a variety of different line-up options...he's athletic enough to guard some teams' 2-guards, but strong enough and rebounds well enough to see stretches at the 4. I imagine he'll be rather hungry after sitting out last season...I also believe that from spending the last year with this team he'll recognize exactly and embrace what his role on this team will be...periphery scorer, versatile defender, second or third rebounder...but he's also a guy who has been an offensive focal point and won't shy away if called upon to carry a larger scoring load at some point.

I can't tell if you're describing Patton or Franklin.

I think Patton will be a great 'glue guy' and should contribute, like you're saying, all over the floor. Sounds like most people have these same types of expectations of him, so if he meets them, he won't really be surprising anyone.

BUT, this poll is for who the surprise player will be. I think I have to give that to Coleman. Sounds like most people around here are hoping for lots of rebounds and alleviation of foul trouble for T-Mitch, with minimal scoring as his expectations. I think he'll surprise those people.

Tony was challenged by coach Benford to lead the nation in boards. I think he can do it, but he may wind up having a hard time leading his own team.

And if the formations during the Tip-off scrimmage are any indication of how the team will play, Mitchell is going to be on the ball at the top and on the wings often and I'm assuming Keith will be the main post player (couldn't really tell because he was the only guy defending Mitchell in the scrimmage, so he was pulled out to the periphery to guard him). I think he'll score more than just a few points per night. I'll say he'll average around 8/night getting his down low (put backs and massive jams).

• Upvote 1

I'm going with P.J. Williams or Holmen shouldn't be a surprise, Coleman was a big time recruit, so he shouldn't be either. PJ has kind of been lost behine the Mitchell hype and the TJ Taylor signing, but I believe there will be very minimal, if any, drop off when he spells Jones at the point.

• Upvote 1

Andy Blount.

If anyone...anywhere...has even the most amateur-ish video of the famous uncontested Andy Blount dunk out there, please...for the sake of all that is right and good in the world...upload that to the interwebz so all may enjoy arguably the greatest moment in Super Pit history.

• Upvote 1

If anyone...anywhere...has even the most amateur-ish video of the famous uncontested Andy Blount dunk out there, please...for the sake of all that is right and good in the world...upload that to the interwebz so all may enjoy arguably the greatest moment in Super Pit history.

This fits the amateurish aspect. Is it a slam dunk? I guess we wont know until Nov. 7.

• Upvote 2

I laughed so hard I cried.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if I'm answering the question correctly, but I think if Brandon Walton can shoot the ball the way he did the last 2/3 of last season, he will be a very important part of the puzzle.

Considering the possibility of not having TJ Taylor, we don't really have any other true outside gunners to go to. Now, CJ and JW may have improved their outside shot in the last year, but until we see in game time action, we really don't know.

Once Tony Mitchell joined the team last year, NT had an inside presence to take some pressure off of our outside shooters. Walton benefitted from this and stepped it up. We will have even more of an inside game this year, with Patton and Coleman chewing up some minutes.

I know I have probably posted these stats before, but pre Mitchell, Walton was shooting 24% from beyond the arc. With Mitchell, he shot 41%. That is a pretty damn good percentage no matter what level.

• Upvote 2