Vito: background on berglund transfer

outoftown

Now this whole Berglund thing makes a lot more sense to me. Before this i thought he might be just escaping the possibility of not being a starter at his JUCO.

A few people have asked about the odd path that quarterback Brock Berglund took to UNT, and specifically why he decided to leave Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College.

I picked up a little info that sheds some light on the decision.

One of the key factors — probably the biggest — had to do with when he would be eligible to transfer academically.

Berglund had 24 credit hours when he went to Scottsdale, which was not enough to transfer and receive a scholarship at an FBS school. He could have played right away at a JUCO this year.

I was told that the issue was when he would have been eligible to leave Scottsdale and transfer to UNT.

Had Berglund stayed, he would have needed to graduate from the school and then transfer to UNT. He would have needed 36 additional hours to do it in a year.

That’s two 18 hours semesters, which is a lot for anyone who is playing college ball, especially during the fall semester when the season is going on.

The other issue was spring practice. If Berglund had stayed at Scottsdale and tried to graduate, he would have had to stay at the school through the end of the spring semester, and possibly longer to get the 60 total hours he needed to graduate.

At that point, Berglund would miss spring ball at UNT.

You could essentially write him off for 2013 at that point.

read more at:

http://meangreenblog...this-fall.html/

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

You would think that they should have know what the rules were after running into the problem earlier with not enought credit hours.

Well, it seems the rule is pretty confusing in itself. Why is there a rule that he has to graduate from CC before transfering? Why is there any rule to limit when someone can transfer? Is it a special rule just for scholarships?

I can easily see how the specifics rule may not have been fully explained or understood.

Funny how we made so many ASSUMPTIONS about this kid, and when they turned out to be false (based on the only info which has been made available via Vito) we turn to conjecture that it's now "spin" on his part. Are we really so resigned to seeing the worst in a kid who could, admittedly potentially, be a game changer for us?

Maybe it's the long line of blue chip talent that's been taking the field for us for years but I wonder why we're never satisfied.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Funny how we made so many ASSUMPTIONS about this kid, and when they turned out to be false (based on the only info which has been made available via Vito) we turn to conjecture that it's now "spin" on his part. Are we really so resigned to seeing the worst in a kid who could, admittedly potentially, be a game changer for us?

Maybe it's the long line of blue chip talent that's been taking the field for us for years but I wonder why we're never satisfied.

Amen Emmitt - how much would you bet the guys criticizing this would ALSO be criticize if he had chosen another school like Ole Miss, FIU or UCLA...all who were interested in him prior to him choosing Scottsdale? I sometimes think our fans can be so jaded that they can't see good news when it hits them in the face.

Amen Emmitt - how much would you bet the guys criticizing this would ALSO be criticize if he had chosen another school like Ole Miss, FIU or UCLA...all who were interested in him prior to him choosing Scottsdale? I sometimes think our fans can be so jaded that they can't see good news when it hits them in the face.

You Harry are you saying that Mr. Berglund is a 6'4" X 200+ wrinkled $100 bill?

• Upvote 1

Well, it seems the rule is pretty confusing in itself. Why is there a rule that he has to graduate from CC before transfering? Why is there any rule to limit when someone can transfer? Is it a special rule just for scholarships?

I can easily see how the specifics rule may not have been fully explained or understood.

It is my understanding that the main purpose of completing the two-year course of study is that you are eligible immediately. Transfer rules vary for those who have not completed junior college but I believe that all colleges accept associate degrees which would exempt you from having to take certain basic courses from the degree-granting institution. It puts Juco transfers on common ground.

• Upvote 1

Whatever. The dude took months to figure all this out and would have known this before he enrolled at Scottsdale.

At this point, the dude has baggage (earned or otherwise) and I really don't think we need to keep digging into every last detail of every decision he's made along the way to try to make our fan base feel better. He's here now, and I hope he's able to put his past behind him, move on with his life and realize his potential as a top QB here at UNT.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Whatever. The dude took months to figure all this out and would have known this before he enrolled at Scottsdale.

At this point, the dude has baggage (earned or otherwise) and I really don't think we need to keep digging into every last detail of every decision he's made along the way to try to make our fan base feel better. He's here now, and I hope he's able to put his past behind him, move on with his life and realize his potential as a top QB here at UNT.

Dude, how dare you be ungrateful that he came to our poor little school. - sarcasm-

This is what I was trying to say earlier.

• Upvote 2