Scrimmage Today

Side Show Joe

Like I said.

MOST.

There are always exceptions.

Of course there are exceptions, but I don't know it it's MOST or not, I'm not going to spend all day searching all 120 FBS programs. But it's obvious many do. But I would imagine if any program that was having trouble filling up their brand new stadium, with a crappy home schedule certainly would. So that when that team is 1-3, 2-5(God forbid) later in the season, maybe more people will feel compelled to show up and support those guys they got to know in camp, and,.... the head coach won't have to go around the metroplex railing at fans about how they need to step up their support?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Mark, I was simply replying to the claim: "All fall practices for most major football programs are closed to the public".

And that list doesn't include all of the "MAJOR" programs, nor any of the numerous non major programs(Fresno, La Tech, Wyoming,....) who allow access to their fans. But regardless of whether they do or not, very few of them face a "empty seats in the new stadium" issue like we do.

Rick

We face those issues because the we haven't ever won in football. And by won, I mean wins that matter to casual fans. That has never happened. Don't believe me? Take a look at "The Glory Years" thread.

I don't care if you have the coaching staff personally greet every fan at an open practice and take them out to eat afterward, that won't increase attendance one iota.

I don't care of Coach Mac closes every practice and even closes the Spring game if it means a conference championship and wins over Houston and Kansas St this year.

The only thing that increases attendance are wins THAT MATTER. I think Mac completely gets this.

This is such a minor issue, I don't even know why it continues to be discussed.

• Upvote 2

Of course there are exceptions, but I don't know it it's MOST or not, I'm not going to spend all day searching all 120 FBS programs. But it's obvious many do. But I would imagine if any program that was having trouble filling up their brand new stadium, with a crappy home schedule certainly would. So that when that team is 1-3, 2-5(God forbid) later in the season, maybe more people will feel compelled to show up and support those guys they got to know in camp, and,.... the head coach won't have to go around the metroplex railing at fans about how they need to step up their support?

Rick

Rick,

People who attend a college practice are going to attend that teams college games, no matter how bad that team may be. This doesn't affect attendance.

I could care less about seeing a practice, and I'm at every home game.

This is not a decision maker for 10 people, much less 1,000.

• Upvote 2

If we were playing in the BIG XII and had the threat of Baylor or TCU spying in , then I could totally understand closing it.

Fact is we are in the Sunbelt and I don't think Texas Southern or Monroe is going to waste time coming here just to look for a play or 2

One could say it might help build a much needed fanbase by allowing some access.

Starting next year , being in C-USA , I would totally get the closed practices.

This is really a no win argument. It's Mac's choice and we have to respect it. I'm sure it's 50/50 on the list of schools who have open/close practices

What's done is done , time to move on

Dont worry folks, we are less than 500 hours till kick off!!

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Allowing access to practices/scrimmages won't fix any attendance problems. This is a feel good thing for a small group of people that want an all-access pass.

That's your opinion, not mine.

Obviously, many MAJOR programs seem to think it's worth the effort. To me, it certainly couldn't hurt because what's been tried before didn't work very well last year.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Obviously, many MAJOR programs seem to think it's worth the effort. To me, it certainly couldn't hurt because what's been tried before didn't work very well last year.

Rick

And it's YOUR opinion that opening practice to the general public will suddenly cause people to start attending games. Please ignore the fact that the last time we posted a record greater than/equal to .500 was back in 2004 ...

Scrimmages are kinda pointless to watch for a fan IMO

If the OL is looking good , means the DL is looking bad

If the WRs are making plays , means the DBs aren't

If the RBs are making big plays , means the LB are missing assignments

Kinda hard to get too excited about something without having a concern about something else

• Upvote 4

Rick,

People who attend a college practice are going to attend that teams college games, no matter how bad that team may be. This doesn't affect attendance.

Your the one making the claim that the MAJOR programs see no value in it, when they obviously do.

And many people would like to see a practice or a scrimmage because it's possible they may NOT be able to attend every home game.

By the way, Mack Brown just started closing access to the public, last year in the Fall of 2011. But of course, Mack Brown's program isn't desparate for fans like we are.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Rick,

Being able to attend practice is up to the head coach. Trust in Mac. He should have plenty of cred with us after last season, as long as we take another step forward.

Sorry for picking on you UNT90, but I think you meant COULDN'T care less. Sorry, I know my grammer isn't always stellar, but this one bothers me....other than that, I agree with your stance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Could you show me where I stated that?

Again, I simply showed where major programs believe there is value in it or they wouldn't put forth the effort.

Rick

You keep bringing up that if people get to attend a practice/scrimmage it will translate to the turnstile turning more.

And that list doesn't include all of the "MAJOR" programs, nor any of the numerous non major programs(Fresno, La Tech, Wyoming,....) who allow access to their fans. But regardless of whether they do or not, very few of them face a "empty seats in the new stadium" issue like we do.

Rick

But I would imagine if any program that was having trouble filling up their brand new stadium, with a crappy home schedule certainly would. So that when that team is 1-3, 2-5(God forbid) later in the season, maybe more people will feel compelled to show up and support those guys they got to know in camp, and,.... the head coach won't have to go around the metroplex railing at fans about how they need to step up their support?

Rick

Rick

Your the one making the claim that the MAJOR programs see no value in it, when they obviously do.

And many people would like to see a practice or a scrimmage because it's possible they may NOT be able to attend every home game.

By the way, Mack Brown just started closing access to the public, last year in the Fall of 2011. But of course, Mack Brown's program isn't desparate for fans like we are.

Rick

You are directly linking attending practice = more attendance. You keep saying we're "desperate" for fans while needing to open up practices.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 4

Ha ha ha, so you don't think we're desparate for fans?

Rick

I agree that we need more fans to attend games; I don't think opening practice to the general public will get more people to attend home games.

• Upvote 4

I don't think that allowing people to attend practice will increase attendance. Mainly because most (if not all) of the people doing so are usually long time attendees of North Texas games anyway. However, keeping these same people away from practice doesn't help attendance nor does it enhance good will between the athletic department and fans.....casual or otherwise.

Now, this is about as far as I'm going to stick my hand into this tar-baby of a thread.

• Upvote 2

Rick

Win.

Win games that matter.

Attendance takes care of itself.

In this market, you could give people a crisp $50 bill to attend a complete UNT game and still not fill the stadium.

The opening practice annual argument is a worthless exercise akin to arguing whether or not waterless urinals affect attendance.

• Upvote 1

The opening practice annual argument is a worthless exercise akin to arguing whether or not waterless urinals affect attendance.

As are so many other subjects. That still doesn't dismiss the fact that many major and non major programs see it as a viable way to connect with their fanbases and grow their programs.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3