Forrest Robinson lands at South Plains C.C.

ADLER

gallery_0_73_252438.jpg

Former North Texas player Forrest Robinson has landed at South Plains C.C. The freshman forward left North Texas for the opportunity to play more extensive minutes at a juco to develop his game. The 6-10 forward/center will be eligible to sign with North Texas, or any other school, for the 2013-2014 season.

This was surely the best developmental route for Forrest and also freed a North Texas scholarship slot for a player that will likely be more integral to this coming season: a great move for all parties involved. Good luck Forrest, we'll all be cheering for you, and hopefully you may be wearing the green again in coming seasons.

http://rivals.yahoo....Robinson-142589

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 4

Interesting.

Would he come back? Would Benford want him back?

Why not, for either question.

Forrest, who's prior competition was rural west Texas 2a teams, has NBA aspirations and needed to go some place where he could get extended playing time for a season and refine his game. He now has that at South Plains, a school where 6 players from last years team alone have developed to the point that they've received D1 scholarships.

Benford's job is to put the best possible product on the court within the guidelines set by the NCAA. If a player of Robinson's stature and ability is what North Texas requires, then certainly Coach Benford and the North Texas family would welcome him back. Forrest Robinson would bring many advantages to North Texas because he is already familiar with the university and its support systems. The coaching staff and many of the players would be new, but there would be much that he was familiar with.

It is not a personal issue for a player that gets limited minutes in his freshman year to spend his sophomore season at a juco to improve his game. Neither the coach or the player should be offended as nobody turned their back on anyone, and if the player develops he usually has a lot of options after juco.

What is far worse is when a player that does not receive much playing time as a freshman stays, never develops to his potential, and is permanently relegated to the end of the bench for the duration of his college career. This doesn't benefit the player and ultimately hurts the team by denying that scholarship spot to a more able contributing player.

• Upvote 2

Why not, for either question.

Forrest, who's prior competition was rural west Texas 2a teams, has NBA aspirations and needed to go some place where he could get extended playing time for a season and refine his game. He now has that at South Plains, a school where 6 players from last years team alone have developed to the point that they've received D1 scholarships.

Benford's job is to put the best possible product on the court within the guidelines set by the NCAA. If a player of Robinson's stature and ability is what North Texas requires, then certainly Coach Benford and the North Texas family would welcome him back. Forrest Robinson would bring many advantages to North Texas because he is already familiar with the university and its support systems. The coaching staff and many of the players would be new, but there would be much that he was familiar with.

It is not a personal issue for a player that gets limited minutes in his freshman year to spend his sophomore season at a juco to improve his game. Neither the coach or the player should be offended as nobody turned their back on anyone, and if the player develops he usually has a lot of options after juco.

What is far worse is when a player that does not receive much playing time as a freshman stays, never develops to his potential, and is permanently relegated to the end of the bench for the duration of his college career. This doesn't benefit the player and ultimately hurts the team by denying that scholarship spot to a more able contributing player.

I agree. It just seems that ego might get in the way of Forrest coming back (if it was his decision to leave), or a lack of improvement may mean Benford doesn't want him back.

I don't think we see Forrest again, which makes me sad. He is a legit 6'11" forward/center with a sweet stroke, even from the 3 point line. Those don't grow on trees. I would have loved to see what Benford could have done with him. He should have been a redshirt freshman for this upcoming season. We all know why he didn't have that opporunity. I hope a lesson was learned.

OK, but he already HAD a D 1 scholarship. He would have earned court time in due time. There is no law requiring a player to skip his senior or junior season to be considered a NBA prospect. If he's really that good, he would have had all the minutes he wanted. I was sorry to see him go. And to find out the reason is even more of a disappointment. But good luck Forest. I hope this works out.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

I agree. It just seems that ego might get in the way of Forrest coming back (if it was his decision to leave), or a lack of improvement may mean Benford doesn't want him back.

I don't think we see Forrest again, which makes me sad. He is a legit 6'11" forward/center with a sweet stroke, even from the 3 point line. Those don't grow on trees. I would have loved to see what Benford could have done with him. He should have been a redshirt freshman for this upcoming season. We all know why he didn't have that opporunity. I hope a lesson was learned.

Forrest (and every healthy player on the team) had to play last year because of injuries and suspensions. Forrest and one other freshman shot less than 35% from the field, and both of these players averaged 1.6 points per game. Neither player would be expected to get much playing time with the roster depth this upcoming season, and with the limited minutes, would be really challenged to move up the depth chart for subsequent seasons. The juco route was an excellent decision for Forrest and it provides him the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution at North Texas or another college for his junior and senior seasons.

• Upvote 2

Forrest was hurt last year, which combined with his small hs background didn't really help him last year. He was a 3 star recruit which before his recruiting class, JJ had signed a total of 1 from the hs ranks. He definitely has potential but must get a lot tougher than he has shown.

I am not sure why he left NT but my guess there was more to it than playing time. It is not like NT was loading with bigs last year or this year. Outside of Mitchell, there is a very big but unproven Coleman and Niko who shouldn't scare anybody from a competitive standpoint.

Whether NT actually placed him at the juco or not: odds are that he has seen the last of NT. The early commit of Nunn and Casimiro seem to indicate that NT does not expect him back and even if they did; it seldom works out. The player doesn't show the necessary improvement and the school doesn't want them or they show a lot and they look for greener pastures.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...

Not sure if Anthony Walker (another Sophomore at South Plains) is still intent on going to UT Arlington once he finishes up this season (he was a verbal to them out of high school... believe he had eligibility issues). But, if he is... I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Robinson come back to the Metroplex with him. I don't think it would be the first time UTA grabbed a pair of players from the same JUCO.

I could have shore Walker was announced with the Baton Rouge CC signing class. I might be getting my Walker's confused tho

Okay, i got my Walker's confused

BRCC signed Jefferey Walker out of Pinkston back in May

That's what i get for trying to keep track of every single recruit

Edited by NT03

Would you consider this whole thing a wash?

Forrest was/is a gamble. He is a legit 6'10" player that has a sweet stroke from the outside. Those are rare, rare, rare. But he was raw, raw, raw, and had a complete lack of aggression in the paint. I would have been more than willing to take the gamble that through coaching and maturation, he would have developed into something special.

I don't know how often he will get off the bench for Depaul, or how effective he will be in the Big East. It's just a shame we couldn't have redshirted him last year and kept him here to see how he developed.

Sad for both he and UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1