TJ Taylor Update: Mean Green Blog

Harry

The saga of former Denison standout T.J. Taylor continued to become even more bizarre on Thursday when news came down that he had left Marquette. It’s the second school he has been at briefly without playing for either.

He also spent some time at Oklahoma.

This is where it could get interesting for UNT.

New UNT head coach Tony Benford recruited Taylor when he was an assistant coach at Marquette. A source close to the situation said that Benford has a good relationship with both Taylor and his family.

Nothing has transpired yet, but there is a chance that Taylor could end up at UNT.

Remember, I said a chance.

At this point, Taylor has a few options.

Read more: http://meangreenblog...or-update.html/

Good article by Vito. It appears to me that the waiver would have to be provided by Marquette which I wouldn't think should be a problem given Benford's relationship and the kid wants to get closer to home. When the Odoh issue came up I looked into the National Letter of Intent guidelines and it became apparent that the sit out a year guidelines were aimed at high school recruits signing with 4-year school and it gets hazy when you are transferring from a juco. Juco's to my understanding do not all participate in the NLI system. So based on my limited knowledge I think the waiver would have to be given from Marquette not the NLI. Could be wrong though.

Not a basketball expert but just do a random google search and the guy is extremely impressive on paper. Here's an article from his time at Paris where he was named a 3rd team JUCO All American as a freshman: http://www.eparisext...ic-association/

Here's one where he was awarded the MVP trophy at Paris JC: http://www.eparisext...ic-association/

Vito was also very right in pointing out how he fills a critical need area for the program, especially in future years.

Interesting he did bring up the idea of Benford asking someone to pay their own way for a year.

Should be very interesting to see what happens.

AnyOne know if Mike Peterson has some scholarships available.

Juwanana Man was based on a trueeeee story you know

If he goes the Juwanana Man route, I'd bet he winds up at TWU with his ladyfriend.

Edited by Green P1

When the Odoh issue came up I looked into the National Letter of Intent guidelines and it became apparent that the sit out a year guidelines were aimed at high school recruits signing with 4-year school and it gets hazy when you are transferring from a juco.

By the way, there are some interesting developments on former signee John Odoh. The LSU fans are now posting a report from ESPN that Odoh won't graduate until December. Per NCAA rules Odoh will not be able to play until the 2013-2014 season even if he enrolls for the spring semester at a D1 school.

Doesn't the signing of Keith Coleman look like pure genius right about now?

This is from the junior college transfer eligibility section of the NCAA handbook available at ncaa.org:

quote:

14.5.4.2.3 Baseball and Basketball—Midyear Enrollee. In baseball and basketball, a student who was not a qualifier (out of high school) (per Bylaw 14.3.1.1) who satisfies the provisions of Bylaw 14.5.4.2, but initially enrolls at a certifying institution as a full-time student after the conclusion of the institution’s first term of the academic year, shall not be eligible for competition until the ensuing academic year.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 4