Penn State football deserves death penalty for cover-up

Absoutely. In a second. And if the Catholic Church decided to shut down that particular church because of the abuse and cover up, they would be well within their right to do so.

So if I tear your Dodge car apart to the frame and build around the Dodge frame with Chevy parts, you would still consider the car the same as it was before I tore it down? You don't get the point that you are not punishing those responsible, you are punshing those they deceived. I don't think that is right.

So if I tear your Dodge car apart to the frame and build around the Dodge frame with Chevy parts, you would still consider the car the same as it was before I tore it down? You don't get the point that you are not punishing those responsible, you are punshing those they deceived. I don't think that is right.

You are punishing Penn St. University football program. The entity that enabled the abuse.

You punish the culture that enabled the abuse. You punish the boosters who gave JoePa the power to overrule the President of the university when it came to reporting Sandusky.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You change the argument to fit your narrative. You said we were comparing "feeding your family" to an "amateur sport". I am saying that college football is not as insignificant as playing flag football in a park. Some of these young men have the opportunity to make millions of dollars playing this sport and what if they want to stay close to family they have in State College but because of some molestation they never saw or knew about,they have to move a minimum of 136 miles away to pursue their dreams of professional football.

Very, very few of them. So, we don't punish a uiniversity that enabled sexual abuse so we can ensure a couple of kids get to the NFL? Really? Is that what college sports is today?

If they want to pursue their NFL dreams, they can transfer 136 miles and play at another school. The 136 mile drive beats a penis in the mouth anyday, don't you think?

Out of a student body of 44k, why are you focused on maybe 5 future NFL players?

Edited by UNT90

Very, very few of them. So, we don't punish a uiniversity that enabled sexual abuse so we can ensure a couple of kids get to the NFL? Really? Is that what college sports is today?

If they want to pursue their NFL dreams, they can transfer 136 miles and play at another school. The 136 mile drive beats a penis in the mouth anyday, don't you think?

Out of a student body of 44k, why are you focused on maybe 5 future NFL players?

Your penis comment is disturbing and uncalled for. Pennsylvania State University is not capable of molesting anyone. Onlly men are capable of molestation. The men responsible for these acts and the subsequent coverup are no longer associated with the university. So I ask you again, who are you really punishing here? An institution incapable of committing crimes without the help of man? Sandusky is in prison, the other should soon follow. The only people you are trying to punish are the people who knew nothing about the acts and are probably just as disgusted as you.

• Upvote 1

Your penis comment is disturbing and uncalled for. Pennsylvania State University is not capable of molesting anyone. Onlly men are capable of molestation. The men responsible for these acts and the subsequent coverup are no longer associated with the university. So I ask you again, who are you really punishing here? An institution incapable of committing crimes without the help of man? Sandusky is in prison, the other should soon follow. The only people you are trying to punish are the people who knew nothing about the acts and are probably just as disgusted as you.

What, just hearing it disturbs you? Think about the people that lived it.

McQuerey is still employed by PSU, and I believe Spanier is still drawing a PSU paycheck, so, no, everyone is not gone from PSU.

Institutions ARE the people that run them and the people that support them. You punish the individual and the institution.

We obviously aren't going to agree, and the NCAA probably won't do a damn thong, anyway.

In closing (no, really) I say punish who you can criminally, hopefully the school is punished with a huge civil judgement, and the football program is hammered with very large NCAA penalties.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't think that the hierarchy of Penn State didn't know about this. They simply chose to not bring any action. The administration is Penn State. If the institution is never responsible then they can tolerate anything that goes on within its confines and be held blameless. No, Penn State has to answer for the sins of any of its staff (or even its students).

The university won't get the death penalty. It will still operate although with fewer students and less money than before. The football team (which is not the university) should, however, receive the death penalty. What they knowingly allowed to happen is a heinous crime.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The university won't get the death penalty. It will still operate although with fewer students and less money than before. The football team (which is not the university) should, however, receive the death penalty. What they knowingly allowed to happen is a heinous crime.

It will be interesting to see if donation income drops as a result of issuing the death penalty to the FB program. Someone posted an article that pointed out that donations may have increased despite the scandal and subsequent cover-up.

Edited by UNTFan23

In closing (no, really) I say punish who you can criminally, hopefully the school is punished with a huge civil judgement, and the football program is hammered with very large NCAA penalties.

I agree with all of these. I am just against the NCAA death penalty.

What penalty for an athletic department--which was totally beholden to the football program and Joe Paterno--and for a public university's top administration--which was totally beholden to the football program and Joe Paterno, could be construed as just?

And qualify your response with the knowledge that the football program, PSU top administration, and Joe Paterno had knowledge of and by their inaction CONDONED the repeated rape and sexual abuse of underage boys for 14 years ON THEIR PREMISES and did NOTHING.

Let me say that again: What penalty is just for a public university and it's athletic department--which is run by the football program-- that by inaction CONDONED keeping a KNOWN sexual pedophile--who had previously been forced out of his job at the university, even though he was heir apparent to Joe Paterno's job--on their payroll for 14 years after initial reports of sexual misconduct with young boys?

BigLebowski-8YearOldsDude.jpg

I'm sure it was clear to everyone that my point is "by issuing the death penalty the current players are the ones who will get most screwed over". ...I understand the victims in Sandusky's crime, and have the utmost sympathy for them - but the damage has been done to them, and I question the wisdom of doing damage to guys who are innocent of any crime in the name of revenge or justice.

Justice was done when Sandusky was sent to jail to rot. Justice will be done as these victims each get their pound of flesh (which they all deserve) out of Penn State in the Civil court system.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Signs that WILL be seen at opposition stadiums if Penn St. plays ball this year:

PENNis ST.

PEDOPHILE ST.

Come on, it's a fun game.

It's really not fun. Call me the "no fun zone", but it's quite sick. As a father of a boy, the situation makes me sick to my stomach.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure it was clear to everyone that my point is "by issuing the death penalty the current players are the ones who will get most screwed over". ...I understand the victims in Sandusky's crime, and have the utmost sympathy for them - but the damage has been done to them, and I question the wisdom of doing damage to guys who are innocent of any crime in the name of revenge or justice.

The amount of collateral damage for a large program like Penn State is significant. Not only will the current players of the FB program be affected, but local businesses (hotels, restaurants, retailers, etc) will see significantly less revenue due to the fact there won't be any games played between September and November. Many of those businesses, and in turn their employees, depend on PSU alumni and fans of the FB program to spend money in their establishments.

• Upvote 1

The amount of collateral damage for a large program like Penn State is significant. Not only will the current players of the FB program be affected, but local businesses (hotels, restaurants, retailers, etc) will see significantly less revenue due to the fact there won't be any games played between September and November. Many of those businesses, and in turn their employees, depend on PSU alumni and fans of the FB program to spend money in their establishments.

Good. All the more reason to drop the bomb. Perhaps if everyone gets a wake up call, this won't EVER happen again.

• Upvote 1

Good. All the more reason to drop the bomb. Perhaps if everyone gets a wake up call, this won't EVER happen again.

Agree, especially after seeing the outpouring of support for JoePa when the story broke and the riots when he was FINALLY fired (only after huge national public pressure).

Happy Valley deserves everything that won't come their way.

Yes. Just a bit dramatic, don't you think?

No. If businesses are counting on revenue from the football season to pay wages for seasonal workers and that revenue doesn't happen because the season is canceled, then those businesses have no choice but to layoff those workers to keep the business going.

State College is a little smaller than Denton and without the benefit of a major metropolitan center less than a hour away. The local economy of State College will be affected and some people may lose their jobs as a result of the death penalty being issued to the FB program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is it? If business in an entire city declines and businesses make less money, people will lose jobs. This isn't Dallas where the entire local economy is not driven by one business.

If your business depends on 7 or 8 weekends a year, you are employing seasonal (read: parttime) employees for those weekends, anyway.

Yes, there is a price the community has to pay, but, in this case, they have to pay it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Considering your average pedophile isn't overly concerned about how he is going to hurt the children he molests, I doubt his worry of how he affects the local economy will stop his actions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1