Jucos becoming extinct at North Texas

Harry

I am not claiming to be that knowledgeable...neither about troy nor about the future...nor am I as positive as you describe about JUCOs.I just see it as market thing. If everybody gets very down on JUCOs they will become interesting. The truth is that NT often is rather at the back of the line to pick its High school talent.... sadly enough that don't mean we get to pick first among the JUCOs.... but if the moment should ever come when everybody abandons the Juco route (say nobody has more than 5-6 on their roster and most only 1-2) going anticyclical on JUCOs would become interesting, you could start picking up some real gems.... but right now I am quite happy with how the staff does it... better to only have a few JUCOs and a high rate of "panning out" than many and having a low rate. With JUCOs you got to hit, you don't have muchtime to adjust them to the system and form them.

Good point as well...if you "hit" on a JUCO you are a hero for sure, if you miss, well it's probably worse in some respects than missing on a HS recruit. I doubt that the JUCO route will ever be abandoned. The temptation for a quick fix for a downtrodden program is just too great for some folks to pass on. I'm "good" with the Mean Green having a few JUCO's every year, just don't think it's the way to go as an overall program "builder"....in spite of the success Snyder has had at K-State.

• Upvote 1

Yes, and in my day, there was O.J. Simpson. And during the same time frame (mid-to-late 60's) North Texas had a Juco named John Love who did pretty well.

Did not realize Love was a Juco..... fits the above ....probably overlooked because was rather short...but he played football and some basketball at NT... and later the Redskins.

• Upvote 1

Did not realize Love was a Juco..... fits the above ....probably overlooked because was rather short...but he played football and some basketball at NT... and later the Redskins.

John Love was about average size for a receiver in his day (5'9" X 180). I didn't know he played BB as well, but that doesn't surprise me because he was such a great athlete. I remember being impressed with his versatility. In the first game that I saw him play (homecoming 1965 vs Wichita State) he scored a touchdown and then changed shoes and kicked the extra point. He was the first, and only, football player of color that I have ever seen who kicked PAT's....and on one occasion a FG.

Oh, and just in case anyone thinks that he was only successful against MVC-like competition. That same year (1965) he got 167 receiving yards against Arkansas.

Edited by SilverEagle