Why the C-USA needs Old Dominion

Old Dominion University is located in the Norfolk, Va. metropolitian area of 1,672,319 43rd Largest Media Market and has no other major University. That's a larger media market than Louisville, Memphis or New Orleans.

Old Dominion has made a massive investment in sports facilities. http://www.odusports.com/ot/oldd-new-facilities.html

Old Dominion University athletic teams have captured 28 team national championships and four individual titles.

The school's best-known sports team is the Lady Monarchs basketball team, which has won three national championships in 1979 (AIAW), 1980 (AIAW) and 1985 (NCAA). The Lady Monarchs also made it to the 1997 Women's NCAA Championship Game, losing to Tennessee. ODU athletic teams have won a further 28 national championships including 15 in men's and women's sailing and 9 in women's field hockey. The Lady Monarchs' nine national titles in field hockey are unprecedented in NCAA record books for most titles in that sport by the same school.

In addition, Old Dominion's athletic teams have captured 49 championships in the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Old Dominion University Monarchs (men's) basketball team have captured six CAA championship titles (1992, 1995, 1997, 2005, 2010, and 2011) since their conference admission in 1992, which is the most among all CAA schools. In 2007, they received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, when the team went 24-8 and finished 37th in RPI. That season included a notable 13-point win at 8th ranked Georgetown. Their most recent trip to the NCAA tournament was with an automatic bid after capturing the 2010 CAA title. During the NCAA tournament, the 11th seeded Monarchs managed a 1-point first-round upset over the 6th seeded Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

In 2002 ODU opened the Ted Constant Convocation Center for the 2002-2003 basketball season. "The Ted" has 8,600 fully cushioned seats, 16 luxury suites, and a state-of-the-art scoreboard. In addition to being used for home basketball games, the Constant Center hosts family-oriented events as well as concerts, lectures, and commencement ceremonies.

On June 14, 2005, the Board of Visitors approved with a 14-0 vote to create a new football team to compete at the NCAA Division I level, along with university's other sports teams, and to begin play in 2009. On February 9, 2007, Athletic Director Jim Jarrett announced that Bobby Wilder, then the associate head football coach at the University of Maine, would be the head coach, and the team signed its first recruiting class in 2008. As is the case with many new football programs, all players in 2008 were redshirted. These players, along with the recruiting class of 2009 and transfer players comprised the initial 2009 roster.

Old Dominion began play in 2009 as an independent team at the Division I FCS level (formerly I-AA), and joined the Colonial Athletic Association for the 2011 season.

In 2009, their first competitive season in 68 years, the Monarchs finished 9–2. That was the best winning record ever for a first-year program in college football's modern era. The Monarchs were outscored by a total of only eight points in their two losses.

Wilder's inaugural team finished the year ranked in the top ten in five FCS statistical categories, including second in sacks allowed, third in scoring offense, turnover margin and net punting. The 2009 Monarchs were ninth in rushing offense.

In its first three years of competition after its rebirth, Old Dominion compiled a 26-7 record and earned a berth in the 2011 FCS playoffs, hosting, and defeating, crosstown rival Norfolk State. Also in 2011, after playing 27 games in its "modern era", ODU received its first Top 25 ranking on October 3, coming in at No. 21 in The Sports Network poll. The Monarchs were ranked among the Top Ten after competing in 33 games.

ODU was fifth in FCS attendance in 2009, selling out all of their home games in the 19,782-seat Foreman Field. Season tickets for the Monarchs' inaugural season sold out quickly and the school had to refund 1,065 orders.

ODU finished 9-2 in their first season in the CAA, good enough for second place in the conference. Many pundits had picked ODU to finish near the bottom of the conference, however ODU smashed those predictions and ultimately hosted a first round FCS playoff game. On the 26th of November, 2011 the ODU Monarchs crushed their crosstown rivals, the Norfolk State Spartans, 35-18 to advance to the second round of the 2011 FCS playoffs. ODU then traveled Georgia to take on Georgia Southern in the second round of the playoffs where they lost 55-48.

Edited by Mark Gommesen

90% of Norfolk are military families who are always moving every three years to another station. My Dad was stationed there twice, once at the shipyard and once at Oceana.

The problem with such a city is that you don't really grow roots. I can't imagine there are a lot of lifelong Old Dominion fans in Norfolk.

Edited by UNTflyer

Hey, guys ODU would be a good location by most of the criteria used to determine conference members. Norfolk is the hub of the Hampton Roads area of more than 1.5 million people. It does have a huge naval presence but not that many sailors. A lot are permanent resident civilians who work at naval installations in the area. ODU has about 25,000 students and they can't all be transients. They have fine facilities for all sports except their football stadium only holds just under 20,000 and would need to be enlarged. The good news is that they have filled it the last three seasons. They should average at least 25K with a FBS-sized stadium. They've have a successful basketball program which would be a plus for CUSA. A drawback is that they might not be able to compete for the football championship until 2015 but if we are willing to tolerate Charlotte doing that then I see no different standard for Old Dominion.

Good market, facilities, academics, size, and budget. They should be a definite asset in time.

Edited by GrayEagle

Sounds like an University with a lot of athletic potential but why the rush? I really do not understand the infatuation with all the move ups; UNCC, Ga ST, UTSA, and ODU. Where do the powers think these schools are going to go, why not wait till they develop their programs better and then go after them. If they go to the Belt or MAC, so what: CUSA should still be able to pick them off when they are wanted and if they end up in BE, ACC, or major conferences than CUSA would lose them anyway.

Men's Basketball Attendance 2011

Rank Name #ofGames Total Average.

64. Notre Dame 17 132,350 7,785

65. UCLA 18 139,670 7,759

66. Old Dominion 16 123,922 7,745

67. DePaul 17 130,486 7,676

Women's

41. Old Dominion 16 48,121 3,008

42. Auburn 15 45,087 3,006

43. South Carolina 19 56,925 2,996

44. North Carolina 18 52,995 2,944

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like an University with a lot of athletic potential but why the rush? I really do not understand the infatuation with all the move ups; UNCC, Ga ST, UTSA, and ODU. Where do the powers think these schools are going to go, why not wait till they develop their programs better and then go after them. If they go to the Belt or MAC, so what: CUSA should still be able to pick them off when they are wanted and if they end up in BE, ACC, or major conferences than CUSA would lose them anyway.

Media Markets.

The TV deals are driving all of these moves. Snatching up large media markets boosts the size of the conference's reach which results in more revenue. If UTSA sucks miserably for the rest of history, CUSA still has the San Antonio market to boost the value of its TV deal.

If you wait and let the schools develop you're not only missing out on that revenue in your TV deal, but you're also allowing another conference take it and build their conference with it.

Does it make sense? No, not really.

Is it one of the main reasons all of these moves are happening? Absolutely.

I'm just glad that CUSA is doing what needs to be done to play "the game" and stay competitive in the world of college athletics while also keeping travel and geographic rivalries in mind.

• Upvote 1

They barely have football. I would rather have FAU or even GA St.

Push the SBC out of Florida or take the bigger Atlanta market.

Yes, Atlanta is the11th largest media market. But, it dominated by Georgia Tech (ACC) and Georgia (SEC), it would be impossible to to put a crack in this market with a team that has not played a single down of BCS football. Old Dominion is in a large market where they are the only major player. Secondly Georgia State has not made the investment in facilities. FAU and FIU share the same media market (Miami).

• Upvote 2

Media Markets.

The TV deals are driving all of these moves. Snatching up large media markets boosts the size of the conference's reach which results in more revenue. If UTSA sucks miserably for the rest of history, CUSA still has the San Antonio market to boost the value of its TV deal.

If you wait and let the schools develop you're not only missing out on that revenue in your TV deal, but you're also allowing another conference take it and build their conference with it.

Does it make sense? No, not really.

Is it one of the main reasons all of these moves are happening? Absolutely.

I'm just glad that CUSA is doing what needs to be done to play "the game" and stay competitive in the world of college athletics while also keeping travel and geographic rivalries in mind.

I think you hit the nail on head. The CUSA/MWC is looking at best media markets so they can knit together the best possible media deal.

Yes, Atlanta is the11th largest media market. But, it dominated by Georgia Tech (ACC) and Georgia (SEC), it would be impossible to to put a crack in this market with a team that has not played a single down of BCS football. Old Dominion is in a large market where they are the only major player. Secondly Georgia State has not made the investment in facilities. FAU and FIU share the same media market (Miami).

First, FAU and FIU do not share a media market although there would obviously be some overlap. Florida Atlantic is in the West Palm Beach market while FIU is in the Miami media coverage area. The West Palm Beach TV market is 38th in size, two below San Antonio.

Of course Georgia and Georgia Tech are the leaders in the Atlanta market but that doesn't mean that viewers would watch only them. Georgia State alumni and friends would watch if the Sun Belt was on TV there. They have more alums that Georgia Tech. There would even be some multiple viewers that just enjoy football or other sports so even a small percentage of viewers in the 11th largest market could amount to 100,000 hh, more than some single university markets. As long as the network can sell advertisers then they will telecast the SBC in that market.

• Upvote 1

First, FAU and FIU do not share a media market although there would obviously be some overlap. Florida Atlantic is in the West Palm Beach market while FIU is in the Miami media coverage area. The West Palm Beach TV market is 38th in size, two below San Antonio.

Of course Georgia and Georgia Tech are the leaders in the Atlanta market but that doesn't mean that viewers would watch only them. Georgia State alumni and friends would watch if the Sun Belt was on TV there. They have more alums that Georgia Tech. There would even be some multiple viewers that just enjoy football or other sports so even a small percentage of viewers in the 11th largest market could amount to 100,000 hh, more than some single university markets. As long as the network can sell advertisers then they will telecast the SBC in that market.

FIU and FAU are only sixty miles a part and would not be natural rivals for other members of the C-USA. Georgia Tech has numerous problems including the lack of facilities. You right they might draw some viewers from Georgia Tech...that's the problem. The CBS has 850,000,000. dollar contract with the SEC CBS is one the principle media contracts with the C-USA. CBS will not consider it favorably if the C-USA was to compete in the same media markets as the SEC Vanderbilt of the SEC is in Nashville and Georgia of the SEC is in Atlanta, which is tough luck for Middle Tennessee State and Georgia State. Since the C-USA/MWC are seeking to improve their media contracts, they will avoid expansion into markets where the SEC has an established presence.You don't bite the hand that feeds you. This perhaps why neither were given serious consideration in recent expansion talks or campus visits and why Georgia State was happy to accept an invite to the Sunbelt. I see no real advantage to the C-USA in attempting to kick the SBC out of Florida. There are much greater recruiting competitors in Florida than the SBC.

http://www.sportsbus...n-Annually.aspx

• Upvote 1

We don't drink, nor smoke, Norfolk.

First, it's pronounced "Naw-fuk". Tidewater natives talk funny and I first time I went to Denton, I needed an interpreter to make myself understood.

I've enjoyed this thread. Being a Norfolk native, I will attempt to clear up some of the misconceptions.

Someone said that 90% of the population were transients and that ODU does not receive support.

This is news to me. My family first came to Norfolk in 1628 on the ship Lyon from England (as indentured servants) and has been there ever since. Thankfully, we are not servants anymore. There certainly are transients just as you would expect from an area that has the highest number of military bases than anywhere in the country but with a metro population of 1.7 million, there are many permanent residents as as well. You can look at ODU's attendance figures and see that their sports are well attended. Heck, women's basketball at ODU has similar attendance figures to our men's program.

Someone else said that ODU did not have any skins on the wall.

They won their conference after three years of playing football. For what it is worth, Sagrin often rated the CAA higher than the Sun Belt. ODU also made it to the second round of the IAA playoffs, something North Texas never did in all our years in football purgatory. Virginia is a fairly large state but only has two FBS schools, Va Tech and UVa. The Tidewater high schools play excellent football and it is a great place to recruit. the ACC has had it to their self for years. That can change now. In other sports, I suspect they have more national championships than any other CUSA school. Their athletic budget is higher than almost anyone in CUSA even without playing FCS football. They are serious about athletics.

Let me close by saying it is a great place to visit. Within 45 minutes, you have Va Beach (and the Atlantic ocean), Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, and many other historic sites. Shoot, you are all invited to my home on the Chesapeake Bay and we will have some steamed blue crabs and beer, eaten on newspaper; preferably the Virginian Pilot.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 2

First, it's pronounced "Naw-fuk". Tidewater natives talk funny and I first time I went to Denton, I needed an interpreter to make myself understood.

I've enjoyed this thread. Being a Norfolk native, I will attempt to clear up some of the misconceptions.

Someone said that 90% of the population were transients and that ODU does not receive support.

This is news to me. My family first came to Norfolk in 1628 on the ship Lyon from England (as indentured servants) and has been there ever since. Thankfully, we are not servants anymore. There certainly are transients just as you would expect from an area that has the highest number of military bases than anywhere in the country but with a metro population of 1.7 million, there are many permanent residents as as well. You can look at ODU's attendance figures and see that their sports are well attended. Heck, women's basketball at ODU has similar attendance figures to our men's program.

They won their conference after three years of playing football. For what it is worth, Sagrin often rated the CAA higher than the Sun Belt. ODU also made it to the second round of the IAA playoffs, something North Texas never did in all our years in football purgatory. Virginia is a fairly large state but only has two FBS schools, Va Tech and UVa. The Tidewater high schools play excellent football and it is a great place to recruit. the ACC has had it to their self for years. That can change now. In other sports, I suspect they have more national championships than any other CUSA school. Their athletic budget is higher than almost anyone in CUSA even without playing FCS football. They are serious about athletics.

Let me close by saying it is a great place to visit. Within 45 minutes, you have Va Beach (and the Atlantic ocean), Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, and many other historic sites. Shoot, you are all invited to my home on the Chesapeake Bay and we will have some steamed blue crabs and beer, eaten on newspaper; preferably the Virginian Pilot.

Yup, Old Dominion is a pretty girl and the more you look at her the prettier she gets. I sure hope she accepts C-USA's invitation to the prom.

Sounds like a great trip. I hope they accept!