Southern Miss: 526 miles

Super Dome, New Orleans: 546 miles

Sun Bowl, El Paso: 642 miles

UAB: 672 miles

Marshall Univ.: 1,019 miles

ECU: 1,297 miles

FIU: 1,358 miles

• Upvote 4

they really wanted UNC/Charlotte instead of La. Tech or UTSA. also, i thought UTEP was moving to MWC.

I didn't really want UTSA either, but they are in now. Time to focus on the future. We can build some great rivalries with the teams in our division. I'm excited.

• Upvote 3

Rumor has it that inviting UTSA is going to keep UTEP in CUSA

Yuo gotta link? Hadn't heard that in fact they seem to hate each other from what I've read...that may end up being the most bitter rivalry in CUSA!

Man, it was one of the 500 hundreds articles/blogs/message board I read yesterday.

Basically, the rumor/speculation is that UTEP was going to leave for MWC but a deal was cut that if CUSA invited two Texas teams then UTEP would agree to stay.

Thanks - - really good news that we can go from a conference with 0 teams in Texas to 3...really gets me excited about the future rivalries.

I just wonder if UNT agreed to go to the MWC with UTEP, would that be a possibility. I would be a little surprised that UTEP would want to be associated with UTSA. Just the nature of being in the same system and UTEP having YEARS of Div 1 time ahead of UTSA.

So with speculation that the BCS changes may bring Boise and SDSU back I have to wonder....

Would I rather be in a conference with UTSA, UAB, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, La Tech, So. Miss or Boise, SDSU, Colorado St, Air Force, Nevada, UTEP, New Mexico

Travel be damned. It's about national perception.

If I'm thinking about our future as an athletic program, I'm thinking about the next step after this conference shakeup. And to me, the MWC is better for national perception.

Of course in whichever scenario we're in, we have to win or it doesn't matter.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just wonder if UNT agreed to go to the MWC with UTEP, would that be a possibility. I would be a little surprised that UTEP would want to be associated with UTSA. Just the nature of being in the same system and UTEP having YEARS of Div 1 time ahead of UTSA.

So with speculation that the BCS changes may bring Boise and SDSU back I have to wonder....

Would I rather be in a conference with UTSA, UAB, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, La Tech, So. Miss or Boise, SDSU, Colorado St, Air Force, Nevada, UTEP, New Mexico

Travel be damned. It's about national perception.

If I'm thinking about our future as an athletic program, I'm thinking about the next step after this conference shakeup. And to me, the MWC is better for national perception.

Of course in whichever scenario we're in, we have to win or it doesn't matter.....

with the loss of BYU,Utah,TCU,SDSU, and BSU ,and probable addition of SJSU and USU, the new MWC is basically the old WAC, if not worst.
  • Upvote 2

with the loss of BYU,Utah,TCU,SDSU, and BSU ,and probable addition of SJSU and USU, the new MWC is basically the old WAC, if not worst.

With the loss of UCF, UH, SMU and the addition of UTSA (good grief), FIU and La Tech, the new CUSA is basically a combination of the old WAC and the old Sunbelt.

And my assumption was that Boise is coming back. (which I think they will)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With the loss of UCF, UH, SMU and the addition of UTSA (good grief), FIU and La Tech, the new CUSA is basically a combination of the old WAC and the old Sunbelt.

And my assumption was that Boise is coming back. (which I think they will)

And in the end both conferences are merging anyway, as it increases their leverage with networks and post-season opportunities.

And in the end both conferences are merging anyway, as it increases their leverage with networks and post-season opportunities.

I actually like the marketing alliance better than a full merger. Merger loses a vote on NCAA council and cuts the number of auto-bids in other sports in half. A combined league only has one football champion while we will now have two. The marketing alliance allows for joint TV and bowl contracts which which brings in outside dollars. Playing regional rivals helps home attendance and build fan support and that does not take a full merger. If the conferences were smart, they would combine back office functions - accounting and most legal. They could keep independent contracts for outside counsel for case that pit the two conference against each other.

Since almost everyone is saying BCS auto-bids are going away, two conferences working together can actually do more for each other than a single mega conference. Look at the way the Pac12 and B10 have worked together through the years. We will be cooperating even more closely.

--- UTSA looks like a rather dumb choice at first glance ...but... San Antonio is one of the 10 largest cities in America...has no NFL, has no ML Baseball, just the Spurs in pro sports . ... which play very little during the college football season. They are starved for a local sports team to support in the fall.....and only UT and Texas State are in easy driving distence but neither are really associated with San Antonio.... Given a bit of time, UTSA could be a very interesting add. ...

• Upvote 1

I actually like the marketing alliance better than a full merger. Merger loses a vote on NCAA council and cuts the number of auto-bids in other sports in half. A combined league only has one football champion while we will now have two. The marketing alliance allows for joint TV and bowl contracts which which brings in outside dollars. Playing regional rivals helps home attendance and build fan support and that does not take a full merger. If the conferences were smart, they would combine back office functions - accounting and most legal. They could keep independent contracts for outside counsel for case that pit the two conference against each other.

Since almost everyone is saying BCS auto-bids are going away, two conferences working together can actually do more for each other than a single mega conference. Look at the way the Pac12 and B10 have worked together through the years. We will be cooperating even more closely.

gallery_1_23_89410.jpg

The Alliance is like a dream for us travel-wise with division rivals Tulsa, Rice, UTSA, and La Tech each within four hours, and the Tulane game in New Orleans every other year is also very enticing.

It's not too early for campus organizations and residence halls to start discussing bus trips to these games. You'd think every campus Greek organization would be excited about about party weekends in New Orleans and San Antonio.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3

--- UTSA looks like a rather dumb choice at first glance ...but... San Antonio is one of the 10 largest cities in America...has no NFL, has no ML Baseball, just the Spurs in pro sports . ... which play very little during the college football season. They are starved for a local sports team to support in the fall.....and only UT and Texas State are in easy driving distence but neither are really associated with San Antonio.... Given a bit of time, UTSA could be a very interesting add. ...

Who gives a rats patootie about whether UTSA is a quality opponent or not. I'll be spending a weekend in San Antonio every other season getting to watch my Mean Green, going to The Riverwalk, and taking the kids to Sea World and Fiesta Texas.

• Upvote 2

I will say that at the Fiesta parade last night the UTSA band blew away the Texas Longhorn band. The crowd also went into a frenzy doing the roadrunner sign as the band roared by. This really is about UNT and I am beyond thinking they needed to marinate in the SBC. We need to come into CUSA and do our part to make the conference a national force. Like the MWC was national power over the last decade, it is time for CUSA to step up. Lets make this our decade!

I think you rotate bball conference tournaments between New Orleans and San Antonio. We need a secondary Alamo bowl in SAT for the league. This will replace the Memphis presence. We should also have a secondary bowl game in Dallas or Houston.

I am glad UTEP is staying if they do because they have alums in Houston, Dallas and SAT. We have alums in Houston and SAT. It is time to bolster these chapters so every trip to these markets has a party and strong Mean Green presence.

GMG

• Upvote 3

It has certainly kept them more relevant than the ACC despite their shared lack of success versus the SEC.