the latest rumor on Larry Brown to SMU

Harry

according to Gary Parrish.

Staff:

Tim Jankowitz - former top assistant to Bill Self is coach in waiting.

Former top assistant at Illinois, Jerrance Howard

and former NBA player and current Kentucky assistant - Rod Strickland.

Frankly, I initially thought of this as a last ditch effort; but if Jank comes on board this will be a formidable foe both in recruiting and on the court. Jankowitz was a good coach here but he just was a little inexperienced for the position at that time, but I think he has proved he can coach at Illinois State. I do wonder why he would take a position like this.

I wonder if JJ thought he would be going head to head with his mentor and the guy who really pushed him for the SMU job. Basketball just got a lot more interest in this area, it so important that NT gets the right coach or NT could quickly fall behind their metroplex rivals. Nether SMU or TCU hires are blockbuster but both have big names and I think recruiting in this area has gotten a lot tougher.

Edited by GrandGreen

He's taking the position because he is the coach in waiting and Brown won't be there forever...wait a second that sounds familiar?????

I wonder if these 3 have any history together whatsoever? Wonder how the chemistry will be between them?

Also, isn't it funny that many at SMoo thought they were too good for JJ, yet will eventually end up with a FAR less successful former UNT head coach who had no real success here and depending on what you believe, was shown the door at UNT.

I guess a 72 year old Has been, a very good in his prime has been, but.a has been none the less, is enough to make this easier to swallow??

Massive fail.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The way Jankovich was treated here I can tell you he will come after us with a vengeance. I think that his treatment was one of the saddest stories in North Texas athletic history.

The way Jankovich was treated here I can tell you he will come after us with a vengeance. I think that his treatment was one of the saddest stories in North Texas athletic history.

Bring it.

I don't know what to believe about his departure. There are many stories out there, and not really worth rehashing.

Always liked him as a coach, and I'm not trying to downplay his success after he left UNT.

Just a comment on our friends over at Ponyfans.

with us that are newer then that period...what happened when tim j was here?

We had several teams right around .500 and made the Southland Conference Final 2 times that I remember when Jankovich was here. He struggled his first season in the Big West (I think off the top of my head we had 11 wins that year) and apparently had a frosty relationship with our AD at the time, Craig Helwig, because of scheduling. I have heard that he resigned on his own accord and that he was fired -- so I am not sure what is really the story, but suffice it to say he probably feels he had a raw deal here.

Edited by CMJ

We had several teams right around .500 and made the Southland Conference Final 2 times that I remember when Jankovich was here. He struggled his first season in the Big West (I think off the top of my head we had 11 wins that year) and apparently had a frosty relationship with our AD at the time, Craig Helwig, because of scheduling. I have heard that he resigned on his own accord and that he was fired -- so I am not sure what is really the story, but suffice it to say he probably feels he had a raw deal here.

sounds like he got kinda of a raw deal. that sucks.

with us that are newer then that period...what happened when tim j was here?

Jank was the youngest HC in the nation I believe at the time. Helwig wanted him to play the nightmare schedule that later fell to Trilli to finance the program. The rumor is that he disagreed with Helwig and paid the consequences. He did not quit, he was fired and he handled it lets say badly.

If you read some of Jank's later comments, he complianed that the jump from the Southland to the Big West was a massive one for the basketball program and the Administration did not understand the problems it created with the program in light of NT's resources.

So, my take was that Helwig wanted his own man, Trilli and probably wanted Jank gone. Jank was correct the Big West was a much tougher conference than the Southland and the travel was brutal. He was also right, that Helwig's scheduling was impossible. He was a good coach but IMO not ready for a challenge like NT at the time. He was not a particularly good recruiter at that time, but he was one of NT's better bench coaches.

Atkins , TJ - 6'1 - G - 1996-1997 - Fresno City College , - Tim Jankovich

Baker , Kerry - 6'4 - G - 1996-1997 - Fresno City College , - Tim Jankovich

Cooper , Zaveon - 6'1 - G - 1996-1997 - Navarro JC , - Tim Jankovich

Davis , Mensah "Pooh" - 6'1 - PG - 1996-1997 - Southwood HS , Schreveport, LA - Tim Jankovich

Harvey , Ed - 6'2 - G - 1996-1997 - , Missori City, TX - Tim Jankovich

Peyton , Rodrick - 6'2 - PG - 1996-1997 - Cisco JC , - Tim Jankovich

Thrash , Chuck - 6'7 - F - 1996-1997 - Seward County JC , - Tim Jankovich

Washington , Charles "Semo" - 6'4 - PF - 1996-1997 - Navarro JC , Jackson, Miss (Lanier) - Tim Jankovich

Washington , Robert - 6'5 - SF - 1996-1997 - Carter , Dallas, TX - Tim Jankovich

Duncan , James - 5'8 - PG - 1995-1996 - West Valley CC (CA) , - Tim Jankovich

Elstun , Chad - 6'3 - BG - 1995-1996 - Wichita St Univ , Kansas City, KS (SM West) - Tim Jankovich

Jones , Mack - 6'0 - G - 1995-1996 - Hill College , - Tim Jankovich

Malloy , Rodney - 6'4 - G - 1995-1996 - Dodge City CC , Kansas - Tim Jankovich

Neal , Jason - 6'7 - F - 1995-1996 - Martin HS , Arlington, HS - Tim Jankovich

Oliver , Tony - 6'7 - - 1995-1996 - Olney CC , Illinois - Tim Jankovich

Riley , Sean - 6'11 - C - 1995-1996 - Katy HS , Houston, TX - Tim Jankovich

Schofield , Travis - 6'0 - PG - 1995-1996 - John Logan College , - Tim Jankovich

Smith , Chris - 6'8 - PF - 1995-1996 - Colorado St Transfer , - Tim Jankovich

Bagnell , Chad - 6'6 - SF - 1994-1995 - South Garland HS , Garland, TX - Tim Jankovich

Dorsey , Kirk - 6'7 - PF - 1994-1995 - Temple JC , - Tim Jankovich

Dortch , Eric - 6'6 - SF - 1994-1995 - Baylor Univ. , Penasacola, FL - Tim Jankovich

Jones , Tony - 6'5 - F - 1994-1995 - East Central JC (MO) , - Tim Jankovich

Miller , David - 6'6 - PF - 1994-1995 - Lancaster HS , Lancaster, TX - Tim Jankovich

Officer , Thomas "Tay" - 5'10 - G - 1994-1995 - Rockhurst HS , Kansas City, MO - Tim Jankovich

Etchison , Tom - 6'5 - G - 1993-1994 - Transfer , Boswell,TX - Tim Jankovich

Evans , Otis - 5'6 - PG - 1993-1994 - Drake Univ. , Ft Worth, TX (Dunbar) - Tim Jankovich

Hall , Greg - - - 1993-1994 - Allen County CC (KS) , Orlando, FL - Tim Jankovich

King , George - 6'5 - PG - 1993-1994 - Central Ark. Transfer , - Tim Jankovich

Miller , Todd - - - 1993-1994 - Wm Jewell College, MO , Mesquite, TX - Tim Jankovich

Smith , Adam - 6'8 - PF - 1993-1994 - Cloud County CC , Smith City HS, KS - Tim Jankovich

SMU's problems have always been in attracting the good local high school kid. Jank didn't spend any time with high school kids anywhere!

Edited by Cooley