Potential new coaches

bdan2002

How about a coach that won 58% of his D1 college games, 50% in the NCAA tourney, in 4 years his team went to 2 NCAA tourneys and won over 50% (8) of his games against top 25 and top 60 teams?

And he will take the job and in the pay range that won't break the budget...under 400K

Ken McDonald

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I wish Johnny would have left about a month ago, because I would have been 100% on the Danny Manning bandwagon if he hadn't gotten hired by Tulsa. He got like 600k per year, and I think we could've gotten somewhere in the neighborhood of that number. I know he's never been a head coach, but he's been learning under one of the best, and I think he's gonna be a great coach. Oh, what could have been...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Monson coming to UNT would be a stretch salary wise but the cost of living is a hell of a lot higher in California than in Texas so we may have a shot there.

I like Monson too. I don't think his salary is a stretch. He made $295,054 last season. He is a North West guy, and may not want to leave Long Beach to move that far from home.

Is there any chance we could talk Steve Prohm away from Murray State? The guy made $205,000 and posted a 31-2 record in his first season, and won his first round Tourney game. And, he's only about 37 years old.

220px-SteveProhmFeb2012.jpg

Edited by Side Show Joe

How does everyone feel about Jeff Capel? Success at VCU. Coached OU to the Elite 8. Now an assistant at Duke. He's obviously recruited DFW before at OU. He's got head coaching experience. He recruited 3 guys to Oklahoma that are now in the NBA. Former player. He'd be in our price range. He's not my favorite choice, but he seems to fit the criteria pretty well.

Edited by cl_1_2008

How does everyone feel about Jeff Capel? Success at VCU. Coached OU to the Elite 8. Now an assistant at Duke. He's obviously recruited DFW before at OU. He's got head coaching experience. He recruited 3 guys to Oklahoma that are now in the NBA. Former player. He'd be in our price range. He's not my favorite choice, but he seems to fit the criteria pretty well.

I don't know man. Capel would bring a lot of baggage. That whole scandle at OU is really hard to overlook.

What about thomas hill...lol just kidding. He is from the area would be a great recruiter but no coaching experience. I believes he works for the sun belt conference in new orleans

Yes he does. Sat by him during one of the games in hot springs. Very, very nice guy

If Duke can overlook it, then why shouldn't we? I mean, it's Duke. They're like the model for staying out of trouble.

If we go that route and don't care about baggage, then I'd rather go hire Capel's old boss. I bet Kelvin Sampson would love another shot at head coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we go that route and don't care about baggage, then I'd rather go hire Capel's old boss. I bet Kelvin Sampson would love another shot at head coach.

It might be true that we don't care about baggage, but there's someone else who carries a lot more weight on coaching hires who does care. V. Lane Rawlins would veto a Kelvin Sampson hire quicker than Sampson could contact a recruit during a dead period.

• Upvote 2

What are your thoughts on Danny Kaspar from SFA? He went to UNT and has done nothing but win continuously. Only one tourney birth, but he always seems to win 20+ every year. I figured if UNT came calling he would jump on it.

I would be quite surprised if that's the direction we went.

Shocked, even.

No disrespect to Danny Kaspar, but I don't think that's the kind of hire we're planning on making.

No disrespect taken. I assumed you would be going after a bigger name to begin with.

It's not just that... I think that as good of a coach as he may be, his system (perhaps dictated by talent) doesn't seem like the best fit for the returning roster we all hope can lift us to a new level of success.

Our roster isn't built to play successfully in the 50's and 60's. Bringing in someone with a UALR philosophy could cause some serious transition pains in a critical year for our program.

While Kaspar is definitely a solid and experienced head coach, he doesn't seem to hit any of the other major criteria we seem to be looking for. He doesn't recruit above his league, and he doesn't have a name/reputation that makes his hire cement us as a school with a serious, growing basketball program. I think that we're likely to come out of this hiring process with someone that relatively (not completely) casual college fans will hear and think "Wow, he's working at North Texas?". Not necessarily a splash hire for a million plus dollars a year or anything, but someone with a track record that non-hardcore people will recognize.

I don't think you guys need to worry about losing him to us at this point. I don't think he'd get an offer before Shawn Forrest. And if Forrest does get an offer, the search is over.

Like this post...great players make great coaches...and great coaches make good players better...if you have great players and I think we do..then it makes sense to give the guy who got those players to UNT a shot..but I can't deny that it is a gamble.

Now I am curious about something else. Word is that the woeful SMU coaching search has Normal, Illinois on its radar. What does the Mean Green nation think of Tim Jankovich now...good memories, bad memories? Not saying we should bring him back, but I am curious how people feel about him these days.

Like this post...great players make great coaches...and great coaches make good players better...if you have great players and I think we do..then it makes sense to give the guy who got those players to UNT a shot..but I can't deny that it is a gamble.

Now I am curious about something else. Word is that the woeful SMU coaching search has Normal, Illinois on its radar. What does the Mean Green nation think of Tim Jankovich now...good memories, bad memories? Not saying we should bring him back, but I am curious how people feel about him these days.

Good memories. When Jank was here the entire athletic department was a train wreck. You can't be successful if you aren't given the tools. When Jank was here, the Super Pit had freaking orange chairs. He ended his career 53-57 with us.

He deserves better than SMU.

Edited by GreenFlag

Grab a assistant that can recruit Texas and can coach. Pay them 350k a year and let the wins pile up

call it what you want, but we need an African American with Texas recruiting ties who can recruit in the DISD.if we can just get the top players out of Dallas we will keep our program moving if the right direction.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2