Liking the tight end use in practice; Chaz Sampson is tall

If the middle becomes a threat in our offense, that will take some pressure off the receivers. Sampson is a legitimate 6-5, is he not? Would be nice to have the tight end be enough of a threat to where he and/or Brelan Chancellor draw lots of single coverage.

Think about this, with a receiving corp beat up and in disarray last year, we still went 5-7. For whatever reason, even losing Lance Dunbar, I'm not as worried yet about the offense. Defense's proving will be pass rush and coverage...pass rush and coverage...same as always. Can those improve enough to pick up one or two more wins last year?

• Upvote 1

If the middle becomes a threat in our offense, that will take some pressure off the receivers. Sampson is a legitimate 6-5, is he not? Would be nice to have the tight end be enough of a threat to where he and/or Brelan Chancellor draw lots of single coverage.

Think about this, with a receiving corp beat up and in disarray last year, we still went 5-7. For whatever reason, even losing Lance Dunbar, I'm not as worried yet about the offense. Defense's proving will be pass rush and coverage...pass rush and coverage...same as always. Can those improve enough to pick up one or two more wins last year?

The most creative and prolific offense we ran last year was in the game Lance sat out. I attribute that to every opposing team in every other game just keying on Lance the whole game, which worked. Chico had his best play calling game in that one and Thompson was on his game.

Unless I've missed something, Chaz is a wr not a tight end. However, tight end is probably NT's deepest position with Power, Prior, Miller, Smith and Smith.

I believe there was some talk of him moving to TE by chico or dmac...

Anyways, he still looks a bit skinny to be a te. I guess we'll see how things play out.

BTW, for the spring game(attending for the first time this year), do they pass out rosters or something like that?

Unless I've missed something, Chaz is a wr not a tight end. However, tight end is probably NT's deepest position with Power, Prior, Miller, Smith and Smith.

Here's my deal about TE. I really don't care if our TE is the biggest or the fastest.....just the most dependable.

My all-time favorite TE was Luis Silva. He wasn't the biggest, and he probably wasn't the fastest. But when you threw the ball to him, there was a better than 90% chance that he was going to catch it.

I want our next Luis Silva out there starting for us this fall.

Read a tiny bit closer. I didn't say Chaz was a TE. I said:

"Would be nice to have the tight end be enough of a threat to where he and/or Brelan Chancellor draw lots of single coverage."

Hoping our tight ends are good enough to make opposing defenses have to commit a safety, thereby increasing the possibility of Chaz and Brelan in single coverage - Brelan for his speed, Chaz to take use the size advantage he'll have on probably 110% of opposing defensive backs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Read a tiny bit closer. I didn't say Chaz was a TE. I said:

"Would be nice to have the tight end be enough of a threat to where he and/or Brelan Chancellor draw lots of single coverage."

Hoping our tight ends are good enough to make opposing defenses have to commit a safety, thereby increasing the possibility of Chaz and Brelan in single coverage - Brelan for his speed, Chaz to take use the size advantage he'll have on probably 110% of opposing defensive backs.

One of my many mistakes, sorry for the misinterpretation.