Karl Benson ready to get to work on new-look Sun Belt Conference

Harry

Karl Benson's immediate priority as the new commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference will be markedly upgrading the New Orleans-based league's brand during a time of rampant membership switching. In fact, the landscape is so volatile that Benson, whose hiring was announced Thursday, will succeed Wright Waters, who is retiring after 11 years at the post, on April 1 instead of July 1 as originally planned.

But Benson, who has been commissioner of the WAC since 1994, said that maintaining a presence in Florida and Texas is important and that the conference will be in conversations with unnamed C-USA members about moving to the Sun Belt.

The appeal would be to allow those schools to remain in a more logical geographic footprint while enabling the Sun Belt to get to at least 12 football-playing members, three more than it has now.

Current WAC and former Sun Belt member Louisiana Tech, which has publicly expressed a desire to be part of the new Sun Belt, could be returning, but Tulane does not appear to be on Benson's radar.

Click here to read more: http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/karl_benson_ready_to_get_to_wo.html

Tap the brakes! If Benson is lookin to expand the Sun Belt by raiding CUSA, this definitely changes things.

If we can get LA Tech (first I've heard of them expressing a desire to be in the Belt) and a Texas CUSA team (Rice or UTEP), would it be tempting to stay put?

Still think there is a great opportunity to expand and kill the WAC.

• Upvote 5

i could be wrong, but with USA coming we should have 10 football programs. also, La. Tech is about as interested in rejoining the belt as i am in having them. how many schools do we need from Louisiana? assuming we loose FIU to the new National conference, i would rather add UTSA,Texas State, and NMSU. just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 1

The article must have been written by a 5 year old. ANY CUSA/MWC team would see a move to the Belt as a huge step backward. That is why we are (hopefully) doing everything we can to get the hell out.

So what we are talking about is Benson bringing his "invite anyone with a pulse" philosophy to the Belt.

Joy.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Invite UtSA and TXSU-SM and the quality of the Belt is worse than the WAC.

in the short term,perhaps. however, their additions would give us a regional division along with A.State, ULL, and Monroe. this should be considered a "fall back" position should we be left behind in the new National Conference

• Upvote 1

Invite UtSA and TXSU-SM and the quality of the Belt is worse than the WAC.

Well no, as there would be no fb division football in the WAC.

Benson might make overtures to current fb division teams before the alliance invites members, but nothing is going to happen. Also I would not confuse La Tech delusional posters as a source for La Tech's intentions. IF they are left out of the alliance, they would have to be total fools not to join the Belt if offered.

I still don't understand all the focus on the Texas twins. I have no doubt the Belt can get them at anytime unless the alliance grabs them, something with little likelihood of happening. It would be interesting if the Belt picked up them and left La Tech hanging. See how those La Tech fans love being an independent.

• Upvote 2

The fact that this article quotes La. Tech as being interested in the Sun Belt makes me ignore anything else it says.

La. Tech would rather be anywhere else (except the WAC).

This makes a lot of sense if you step back and take some of the emotion out of it. What do I mean? La. Tech administrators have to see the writing on the wall that the WAC is going to die soon. They should be looking for the best option for their school. As much as their fans and they themselves want a CSUA/what-ever-its-called invite it’s not a guaranteed thing. So, from a business stand point joining the Belt makes a lot more sense than the possibility of a WAC with nothing to offer. The emotion of the fans needs to be taken out of the mix. And sorry Tech fans’ going independent is not an option.

This makes a lot of sense if you step back and take some of the emotion out of it. What do I mean? La. Tech administrators have to see the writing on the wall that the WAC is going to die soon. They should be looking for the best option for their school. As much as their fans and they themselves want a CSUA/what-ever-its-called invite it’s not a guaranteed thing. So, from a business stand point joining the Belt makes a lot more sense than the possibility of a WAC with nothing to offer. The emotion of the fans needs to be taken out of the mix. And sorry Tech fans’ going independent is not an option.

I think it is very important for Tech fans to position this as "the Sun Belt came to us". They have a cadre of fans who believe that they have been a step above the Sun Belt schools and to their credit they've done a good job of promoting this to their advantage even with a sinking WAC. I also think they will press hard for Benson to deal with the Monroe issue before agreeing to join.

....... I also think they will press hard for Benson to deal with the Monroe issue before agreeing to join.

Harry – I think this could be done my implementing “minimum” standards across the board in all sports which require in full funding all areas. It’s seems to me UL Monroe does not have to money to properly fund all sports.

• Upvote 2

Harry – I think this could be done my implementing “minimum” standards across the board in all sports which require in full funding all areas. It’s seems to me UL Monroe does not have to money to properly fund all sports.

ULM is very borderline in being able to fund FBS sports. They pay the HFC and AD less than any other FBS university. But, you will have to be very careful in setting standards lest you also draw UL-Lafayette (and even Louisiana Tech) in.

Your idea of minimum standards is a great one and necessary for a vote to expel a member. Although you could possibly get a 3/4 vote now there needs to be a reason for expulsion of a member in good standing. It would be hard, however, to use money alone as a reason because I believe that Louisiana uses a different accounting system than most of the rest of the FBS. I believe that it may have to do with scholarship funds that do not pass through the athletic department as they do at most institutions.

I have always felt that most conferences should have an attendance requirement above the minimum 15,000 required by the FBS. I'm pretty much aboard with the original 17,000 for a minimum standard. Of course ULM would've met that, at least every other year, as long as the had the Little Rock "home" game with Arkansas. I don't object to neutral site games but they should not be a part of your home attendance. A 30,000 minimum stadium wouldn't disqualify any of the Louisiana schools. About the only other standard that I can think of is budget/revenue and that would have to be adjusted annually in this uneasy economy.

As long as ULM can meet minimum standards they should be allowed to stay. I believe that setting standards in excess of FBS minimums is the prerogative of any conference. But as it applies to Louisiana-Monroe/Louisiana Tech that conflict may be moot if La Tech is accepted into the Alliance.

I think it is very important for Tech fans to position this as "the Sun Belt came to us". They have a cadre of fans who believe that they have been a step above the Sun Belt schools and to their credit they've done a good job of promoting this to their advantage even with a sinking WAC. I also think they will press hard for Benson to deal with the Monroe issue before agreeing to join.

If Tech can't accept the Belt's membership, so be it. If they want to join the conference it should be on terms set by the conference. There should be no "Monroe issue" as far as the conference is concerned in dealing with Tech.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

UTSA is another USF in the making. Texas State has good fan support and a history with UNT. I'd love to see both in the Sun Belt if UNT isn't invited to join CUSA.

Sure, because helping promote and legitimize our direct competition is always a good idea. UNT should not only vote against these teams being included in the conference, but shOuld lobby other Sun Belt schools to do the same.

It's business, folks.

Sure, because helping promote and legitimize our direct competition is always a good idea. UNT should not only vote against these teams being included in the conference, but shOuld lobby other Sun Belt schools to do the same.

It's business, folks.

Exactly--just like every other current FBS school in Texas has looked down at us for, oh, about 50+ years. Never mind that our only chance to get into this Alliance is the fact that UTEP and Rice might finally be willing to look at us in a different light than all of the other Texas schools have for decades. If they don't, the writing is on the wall for our FBS future, anyway, and we should be open to getting Texas rivalries going with UTSA and Texas State. If we are going to be in the SBC for the long-term (and don't fool yourself into believeing that isn't a possibility), we need conference games against Texas teams. Because not having them right now in the current SBC is killing our attendance--at least Texas State would bring a decent group to Denton, unlike Louisiana-Monroe, which is our closest rival, and bring about 100 fans to Denton when they play here.

• Upvote 1

Exactly--just like every other current FBS school in Texas has looked down at us for, oh, about 50+ years. Never mind that our only chance to get into this Alliance is the fact that UTEP and Rice might finally be willing to look at us in a different light than all of the other Texas schools have for decades. If they don't, the writing is on the wall for our FBS future, anyway, and we should be open to getting Texas rivalries going with UTSA and Texas State. If we are going to be in the SBC for the long-term (and don't fool yourself into believeing that isn't a possibility), we need conference games against Texas teams. Because not having them right now in the current SBC is killing our attendance--at least Texas State would bring a decent group to Denton, unlike Louisiana-Monroe, which is our closest rival, and bring about 100 fans to Denton when they play here.

Texas St and UTSA will bring zero, nada, zip, zilch new fans out to see UNT football. They have no fan base, and wont travel well, either. No new rivalry or UNT fans will be made by having these schools in the conference.

And you make the Belt the entry level conference for FCS schools in the future, a tag reserved for the WAC right now.

Wanna expand? Go after the top 3 programs left in the WAC. Leave Texas St and UTSA twisting in the wind (where they should be, anyway). That should be UNT's goal if we can't get into a better conference.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2