WBB defeats Little Rock

CMJ

Sarah Stanley with another game scoring in double figures and stepping up against a bigger team when we needed her most. :goodjob:

And how about our fire breathing dragon on the sidelines getting teed up and lighting a fire under this team to get them down the stretch and to the finish line in this game? Loved it!

Rick

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It ended up working out, but I thought the team got a huge break when LR missed both of the technical FT's. If they re-take the lead there I am not sure we win.

So are you contending that our coach's inability to control her temper at a crucial point in tonight's game may, while not tonight thank goodness, but in the future potentially cost this team the game?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

So are you contending that our coach's inability to control her temper at a crucial point in tonight's game may, while not tonight thank goodness, but in the future potentially cost this team the game?

I hope that situation never occurs, because it seems much of what makes Aston get the most out of her players is her fire. Anytime you have a high strung screamer on the sideline, I think that is a possibility though.

Did Bobby Knight's temper ever cost his teams games? Sure. That doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best ever though.

• Upvote 3

I hope that situation never occurs, because it seems much of what makes Aston get the most out of her players is her fire. Anytime you have a high strung screamer on the sideline, I think that is a possibility though.

Did Bobby Knight's temper ever cost his teams games? Sure. That doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best ever though.

Oh, no doubt...I was unable to catch the game so I was simply asking for clarification.

I know personally, for comparison's sake, I've seen JJ take many a tech early in games...a few string of questionable calls and off comes the jacket, you know...but I can never recall his losing it in the waning moments of a tight game. That man is one composed, cool customer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If they re-take the lead there I am not sure we win.

I think we would because the refs gave us the make up call at the other end that helped us extend the lead shortly afterwards. Aston brings a fire and spirit to our basketball court during games that her team seems to respond really well to. I hope she keeps it up.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Oh, no doubt...I was unable to catch the game so I was simply asking for clarification.

I know personally, for comparison's sake, I've seen JJ take many a tech early in games...a few string of questionable calls and off comes the jacket, you know...but I can never recall his losing it in the waning moments of a tight game. That man is one composed, cool customer.

John Brady and Kermit Davis eliminated their teams from last year's SBC tournament with 2 of the most ill-timed technical fouls I've ever seen. Davis had a bad one... Brady's was absolutely inexcusable.

Davis blew up at a ref over a foul call with under 5 minutes to play. Middle was within 4... Solomon Bozeman hit all 4 free throws (2 for the personal foul, 2 for the technical) and put the Trojans up by 8 points. Middle couldn't rally back (never got back within 6), UALR won by 9 points.

The night before, Brady did the same thing, but worse. 1:30 to play, ASU had fought back to cut an 8 point deficit to 2 points, then gets whistled for a non-shooting foul. Brady flips out at Joe Kleine, gets a technical. Takes what would have been a 2 point deficit and a chance to defend an inbound pass, and turns it into a 4 point deficit after Bozeman hits his 2 free throws. UALR also maintains possession, and milks the clock down to about a minute before dropping in a layup. Because of that technical, ASU wound up down by 6 with 1:03 to play. Cost them the game.

I was at the game. Kermit was yelling at one of his own players, and the ref Teed him up.

Thought it was a piss-poor call by the ref at that critical juncture of the game. Hopefully his new assistants will help him keep his cool (with the players and the refs) this season. I don't remember Kermit getting too many T's over the years, but that one hurt.

John Brady and Kermit Davis eliminated their teams from last year's SBC tournament with 2 of the most ill-timed technical fouls I've ever seen. Davis had a bad one... Brady's was absolutely inexcusable.

Davis blew up at a ref over a foul call with under 5 minutes to play. Middle was within 4... Solomon Bozeman hit all 4 free throws (2 for the personal foul, 2 for the technical) and put the Trojans up by 8 points. Middle couldn't rally back (never got back within 6), UALR won by 9 points.

The night before, Brady did the same thing, but worse. 1:30 to play, ASU had fought back to cut an 8 point deficit to 2 points, then gets whistled for a non-shooting foul. Brady flips out at Joe Kleine, gets a technical. Takes what would have been a 2 point deficit and a chance to defend an inbound pass, and turns it into a 4 point deficit after Bozeman hits his 2 free throws. UALR also maintains possession, and milks the clock down to about a minute before dropping in a layup. Because of that technical, ASU wound up down by 6 with 1:03 to play. Cost them the game.

Edited by KAjunRaider

I also enjoy Coach A's post-game interviews. It is refreshing to hear the truth about the game, both good and bad. It gets old having the coaches say the same thing week end and week out, "we played (or will play) a good, talented team." This could be a team without any wins or a team with 10 wins....you get the same line each time. At least, with Coach A, you get a true picture of the game and the play of the team.

GMG Ladies....keep it up!

It ended up working out, but I thought the team got a huge break when LR missed both of the technical FT's. If they re-take the lead there I am not sure we win.

We had turned back every challenge to that point, no reason to think we would not have turned back that one.

DRC: Mean Green holds on to beat Trojans

Tamara Torru in reference to K Sue's technical and how the team responded to it afterwards.

“Coach fighting for us made us want to win all the more,” Torru said of Aston, who is in her first year at UNT. “She built us up.”

By the way, I didn't realize it till yesterday, but up and until the Tulane game North Texas was leading the nation in Biggest Turnarounds to that point in the season with a 7-2 record. We were just ahead of Oregon State, who is currently 9-2 with their only loss to us and St Mary's.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They hadn't retaken the lead in the 2nd half from what I recall. Just tied the game.

You are correct. But UNT has finished strong in every game after Oral Roberts, even in the disaster at Nicholls, with possible exception of UT; UALR is pretty good but is no UT. History and this team's character says it would have finished strong regardless.

I was at the game. Kermit was yelling at one of his own players, and the ref Teed him up.

Thought it was a piss-poor call by the ref at that critical juncture of the game. Hopefully his new assistants will help him keep his cool (with the players and the refs) this season. I don't remember Kermit getting too many T's over the years, but that one hurt.

Nice win by the Lady Raiders last night btw.

Rick