Loyola Marymount (12/4/11)

CMJ

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I thought this was interesting:

The Lions burst onto the national basketball scene in the late 1980s under coach Paul Westhead. His teams led Division I in scoring in 1988 (110.3 points per game), 1989 (112.5) and 1990 (122.4).[1] LMU's 122.4 point per game in 1990 was still a record as of October 2010.[2] As of October 2010, Loyola Marymount held the five highest combined scoring games in Division I history. Four of the five occurred during Westhead's career, including a record 331 in the 181–150 win over United States International University on January 31, 1989.[3]

LMU's current men's head coach is Max Good.

wiki

Congrats to the Mean Green - your team really wanted the W tonight.

Two of our top three players were out with foot injuries but that's no excuse for losing.

Our coaching was abominable benching our starting Center and playing him only 3 minutes and #1 backup only 5 minutes.

We have issues here at LMU despite our fast start, centering on the head coach Max Good, who was under fire last season also.

In any event, thanks for letting me vent - you guys played a good game, #5 was awesome and the guys under the boards were motivated to get the ball.

Well done Mean Green and best wishes for the remainder of the season!

PS Columbia was unconscious from 3 point range - who shoots 71%? Is this some connection to Obama?

• Upvote 2

Some quick hitters -

Roger Franklin is awesome. He's always in a good mood, and I dare say is the leader of the team. Very vocal on the court, especially on defense. Responds very well to whatever the coaches say. We got a great steal in him.

Alzee Williams plays fantastic defense. It's one thing to see it on video, but in person he really stands out. Always moving his feet, almost never lets his guy get by him. Nearly always takes the best offensive player.

Chris Jones is really impressive. I could see him growing more comfortable just in the last three days. Solid facilitator but can almost break down a defense at will when he needs to.

Brandon Walton's family is great. Very funny when they would yell personal stuff at him to embarrass the kid as only family can do. Was very happy he played well for them.

The team really communicates well on the floor.

Alonzo Edwards looked like he got the crap kicked out of him in every game, but he was still battling down in the paint. I think he could be a boxer.

If Hogans could put in more of his put backs, we'd be tough to beat as currently instituted.

Was great to finally to meet SouthBendGreen and Shuke-D. Sorry about the dropping of your food again dude!

JJ had the team come over to the NT fans after the game today and applaud/show us love. Extremely classy gesture.

Give us a three weeks after December 18th, and we might have all pistons going full blast.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

Two of our top three players were out with foot injuries but that's no excuse for losing.

Our coaching was abominable benching our starting Center and playing him only 3 minutes and #1 backup only 5 minutes.

We have issues here at LMU despite our fast start, centering on the head coach Max Good, who was under fire last season also.

In any event, thanks for letting me vent - you guys played a good game, #5 was awesome and the guys under the boards were motivated to get the ball.

PS Columbia was unconscious from 3 point range - who shoots 71%? Is this some connection to Obama?

Thanks for stopping by. I may try and make another game of yours this season if things work out. Beautiful campus yall have. Despite living in LA for 10 years, I'd never visited it before the last 3 days.

Best of luck in the WCC.

• Upvote 1

Roger Franklin is awesome. He's always in a good mood, and I dare say is the leader of the team. Very vocal on the court, especially on defense. Responds very well to whatever the coaches say. We got a great steal in him.

I noticed the same thing. He just looks like he loves playing the game and is having a great time. He had a smile on his face walking out onto the court, playing D, on the bench, eating cheerios. I don't think he knows how to frown. He's also the team cheerleader when on the bench.

Chris Jones is really impressive. I could see him growing more comfortable just in the last three days. Solid facilitator but can almost break down a defense at will when he needs to.

Agreed. I couldn't believe he was a freshman. He had a calm demeanor in the half court, and could turn on some serious jets when running a break. He's the real deal, and as he gets more experience, he could be something very special.

Alonzo Edwards looked like he got the crap kicked out of him in every game, but he was still battling down in the paint. I think he could be a boxer.

Tough guy. Took one hellacious shot in the ribs, but came back and had a monster dunk that changed the momentum with about 7 or 8 minutes to go. The team was on cruise control after that.

Was great to finally to meet SouthBendGreen and Shuke-D. Sorry about the dropping of your food again dude!

Same here to you, SouthBend and Tasty. And thanks to you guys for helping me get acquainted with the players since I do not follow basketball that closely. There's a lot to be excited about as this group develops. And don't worry about the mustard stain. I did it on purpose. I remembered an old finger-painting class and that if you mix yellow and blue, you get green. I was trying to turn my blue jeans into some pantalones verdes malos, but it didn't quite work out. What none of us knew until now is that Kelly Green is a chromatic mutant developed at Area 51, and cannot be replicated with earth ingrediants. That would explain all the shade of green controversy.

JJ had the team come over to the NT fans after the game today and applaud/show us love. Extremely classy gesture.

That was classy, especially with Brandon's family in attendance.

• Upvote 7

holy basketball poop.

is this the same max good that coached at eku eons ago and then at some prep school in the northeast?

i believe that was his name. how in the name of hades did he end up on the west coast if it's him?