Mike Leach - Washington State HC

SHOSS

One of the complaints out here in west Texas regarding Leach was his personality, how he didn't reach out to big donors and how he polarized the fanbase. They either loved him or hated him with nobody in the middle.

I'm not denying that wasn't the case but look at Texas Tech before Leach got there and look at it when he left. While Leach himself maybe wasn't a reaching out to donor guy he didn't have to because he produced and not only he but the TT fanbase became polarizing figures. All the improvements the university has made in the last decade or so a big part of that has been because of Leach and the football program. I think super success in athletics and donors/money go hand in hand but I think we need to give Leach at least that.

• Downvote 1

Keyword is allegedly. Again I love Coach Mac and believe he is on track to be a really good hire for us but we get Mike Leach in we'd be selling out Apogee and we'd even have TT fans/alums in the area come to our games because of Leach. Not to mention he would increase our university's profile like crazy and be able to generate more donors from people and from big corporations. Unfortunately yeah we couldn't have given 2.2 mil a year like WSU will be giving him but if we could have gotten him for a million then the administration and all parties involved can try their hardest to make that happen.

I think you're missing my point. Some of us hold our University to a higher standard. Whether or not he's guilty of anything doesn't matter if allegations that strong exist. He would not represent the program well, and frankly he doesn't deserve the chance to. Give me 10-3 with McCarney and every positive thing about him over 10-3 with that kucklehead.

There's a reason he had to go to the worst AQ, and one of the worst programs in D1 after two years out. That says something. Leach supporters should listen.

• Upvote 1

I think you're missing my point. Some of us hold our University to a higher standard. Whether or not he's guilty of anything doesn't matter if allegations that strong exist. He would not represent the program well, and frankly he doesn't deserve the chance to. Give me 10-3 with McCarney and every positive thing about him over 10-3 with that kucklehead.

There's a reason he had to go to the worst AQ, and one of the worst programs in D1 after two years out. That says something. Leach supporters should listen.

All very true.

How do we know? Frankly nobody cares and really knows if he's a prick off the field...he was paid to do a job and he produced. The perception of Leach is still positive nationally and that is all that matters. It is all about results. Lets face it college athletics is and will always be a business(whether people are in denial or not) and what Leach did to the TT program was pretty darn amazing.

So if someone randomly accused you of doing something horrible and you know for a fact it is false I guess you would be ok with losing everything then then right?

WSU isn't a heavenly place to go right now but he fits what they're trying to get to. I think the reason he probably didn't get as many great offers from huge programs was the fact that his style of not playing much if any defense. I think he's the perfect fit for WSU and the Pac 12 and he'll do wonders for that program. I'd love to have Leach coaching my school any day of the week.

I wouldn't call WSU one of the worst programs in the country. If you really think that, I don't want to know what you would say about us.

Historically, no. Recently, they are. As are we.

How do we know? Frankly nobody cares and really knows if he's a prick off the field...he was paid to do a job and he produced. The perception of Leach is still positive nationally and that is all that matters. It is all about results. Lets face it college athletics is and will always be a business(whether people are in denial or not) and what Leach did to the TT program was pretty darn amazing.

So if someone randomly accused you of doing something horrible and you know for a fact it is false I guess you would be ok with losing everything then then right?

WSU isn't a heavenly place to go right now but he fits what they're trying to get to. I think the reason he probably didn't get as many great offers from huge programs was the fact that his style of not playing much if any defense. I think he's the perfect fit for WSU and the Pac 12 and he'll do wonders for that program. I'd love to have Leach coaching my school any day of the week.

He could always bring Sandusky on as DC to solve his defensive woes. After all, they're only allegations now. It's all about results on the field.

Seriously though, do you honestly believe that college football (outside of the SEC) hates offensive type games? That's not why he wasn't hired.

Edited by UNT Five&Dime
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He could always bring Sandusky on as DC to solve his defensive woes. After all, they're only allegations now. It's all about results on the field.

Do you honestly believe that college football (outside of the SEC) hates offensive type games? That's not why he wasn't hired.

Kinda like comparing Murder to a traffic ticket.

Or Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child to..... Something that's not even a criminal offense.

Apples and... Grizzly bears?

The fact it took Leach two years to get a new job shows he was damaged goods.

But I'm glad that WSU was willing to get beyond that. He's a hell of a coach, and as long as he doesn't recruit the children of ESPN personnel he should be fine.

It's too bad WSU isn't on the coast, given his love of piracy.

This argument holds no water. Dan Mccarney allegedly beat his wife. Nice try though....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seriously though, do you honestly believe that college football (outside of the SEC) hates offensive type games? That's not why he wasn't hired.

Probably the worst sports point ever.

However that being said I just stated that it could have been A factor. And who knows maybe he wasn't as serious coaching right after his stint at Lubbock and thought he might as well enjoy his money for a few years we dont know tho. And there have always been rumblings about Leach being considered for jobs. The Maryland one does come to mind from last year. Sometimes things just don't go the way you expect them too yet you assume he wasn't hired because schools were scared. Let me tell you something that these big schools don't need to be scared of anything because they know full well that if they believe a certain candidate is the right job in what he does on the field then they will offer him a contract. Make no mistake it is all about results on the field first and that is what counts.

The perception of Leach is still positive nationally and that is all that matters.

I think you underestimate how much he has to rebuild his reputation. It'll take some success at WSU -- a pretty big feat -- for him to start getting the kind of love he got at Tech before the scandal.

I'd rather have a head coach that kisses babies than one that allegedly abuses players. Too few babies are kissed, and too many people are abused.

If you dislike allegations of abuse from your coaches, don't google Dan McCarney allegations....

I'm just sayin...

Kinda like comparing Murder to a traffic ticket.

Or Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child to..... Something that's not even a criminal offense.

Apples and... Grizzly bears?

You read before I realized I left off 'Seriously'. I'm not comparing the two. His opinion that character outside of 3 1/2 hours on Saturdays is irrelevant is crazy talk. I used an extreme to challenge it. Bad decision.

Anyway, Go Mean Green!

...and to be honest, the allegations against Mccarney in the 90's are much worse than what Leach was accused of. Beating your wife or putting a kid in a closet......hmmm. I'm not trying to bring down mac here, just saying that those opposed to Leach because of the allegations against him need to educate themselves.

Yea, I forgot about that.

Oops.

Christ, three pages and Mike Leach is still being discussed.

Look, even if we had had the money to offer Leach a job, AND he was (for whatever strange reason...and it WOULD HAVE BEEN STRANGE) interested in North Texas, he would have been a terrible hire. He might be a genius, but he is a self-absorbed genius, and not someone who is inclined to do the kind of promoting that our program needs.

Let me put this simply. WE NEED SOMEONE TO COACH NOT ONLY OUR TEAM, BUT OUR FAN BASE AS WELL. We need a Prof. Harold Hill/Hayden Fry type of coach.

Warts and all, Coach McCarney fills that bill better than Coach Leach.

• Upvote 5

Look, even if we had had the money to offer Leach a job, AND he was (for whatever strange reason...and it WOULD HAVE BEEN STRANGE) interested in North Texas, he would have been a terrible hire. He might be a genius, but he is a self-absorbed genius, and not someone who is inclined to do the kind of promoting that our program needs.

Let me put this simply. WE NEED SOMEONE TO COACH NOT ONLY OUR TEAM, BUT OUR FAN BASE AS WELL. We need a Prof. Harold Hill/Hayden Fry type of coach.

Agree.

I just want to point out it took 4 pages to get to our first Hayden Fry mention. I think that should be commended.

• Upvote 2

That last line is certainly watching through green colored glasses right now. Our fan base isn't that oblivious to think how bad historically this program has been...they don't need any coaching...they are a show me the results fan base(just like everybody else) as it should be.

Mike Leach is exactly what this program needed because we have been so bad and so irrelevant for so long that something like that could have fueled excitement to our program and Apogee would be sold out and beyond every home game even in our crummy ol conference.

As far as self absorbed genius who really knows...I think to be a head coach and especially a college head coach you need to some ego along with total charisma and it is Leach that fits that bill.

• Downvote 2