Athletic Budget Now Showing A Big Increase

MeanGreen61

Are those undergrad numbers even close at 22,000 plus? Seems like there should be more albeit that report has North Texas with the most undergrads in the SBC yet....

Surely we cannot have this many grad students, ie, 14,000?

36,000 (total enrollment)

22,000 (undergrad enrollment)

______

14,000 (grad students)? ??????????

AND...

...some of these budget revisionist posters (other CUSA candidates) on the CUSAbbs board have our budget at, uh: $10,000,000+ :(

Why is it that some of that message boards's posters will lie when telling the truth would be much easier?

Addendum: I read elsewhere that next year's athletic budget will be over $24,000,000.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

One thing I gathered from that website was just how bad we need to add at least one more men’s sport. Compared to the CUSA schools, we would be one of the largest institutions in regards to enrollment but have the fewest amount of total sports on campus and the fewest amount of student athletes.

I say men’s sport because there are so few compared to our women's teams.

Edited by HoustonEagle

Ok, but the fees are paid... what happens/happened to them?

I think this is how it works: I don't know for sure the process at UNT but often budgets are prepared using estimates from previous years enrollments to determine anticipated student fees to be collected. So the unallocated student fees will get allocated once they're collected. They're usually at least a semester behind - spring fees get spent in the fall. An increase in enrollment = higher unallocated student fees. Some fees can only be spent for their intended purpose , i.e. Can't spend athletic fees for the library.

Ok, but the fees are paid... what happens/happened to them?

They are included; just not assigned to any sport. There are no specific amounts dedicated to football, basketball, soccer, etc. That gives the AD more flexibility.

I didn't examine the report closely but it's possible that a portion of the fees designated for stadium debt retirement or interest could be on a separate report.

Based on the UNT Fact Book, 2010 Fall enrollment was 28,283 undergrads and 7,784 grad students.

Admittedly, I don't understand all reasons for the disparity but it seems to hold true for every university. I think that the number of full-time students pursuing degrees may be a factor.

Houston is shown to have a few less undergraduates than North Texas and that doesn't agree with their published figures either.