So let's say we get into CUSA

oldguystudent

Definitely didnt mean to sound arrogant. I think down the line NT could compete with the top of CUSA, but I was talking about the next year or two.

Its a bigger step up than people think. Marshall won more games from 1991-2001 than any team on the planet, including 7 mac titles and a couple 1aa national championships.

This is year six in Cusa for us, and our best year was 7-6. We are finally back to competitve this year, but it took a while to get to that level.

• Upvote 2

Definitely didnt mean to sound arrogant. I think down the line NT could compete with the top of CUSA, but I was talking about the next year or two.

Its a bigger step up than people think. Marshall won more games from 1991-2001 than any team on the planet, including 7 mac titles and a couple 1aa national championships.

This is year six in Cusa for us, and our best year was 7-6. We are finally back to competitve this year, but it took a while to get to that level.

Nevermind then. If you are talking the next year or two you are spot on.

You Are......Marshall! :goodjob:

At the team's current level we'd be in for a few more years of serious butt whippings. Everyone here ok with that in favor of the greater, long-term good?

If this were to happen, I predict the same idiotic knee jerking and lame posts.

Edited by filmerj

I would love for North Texas to play in Houston and New Orleans every other year...and have another Texas team (UTEP in addition to Rice). We would actually get a little coverage in the Houston paper. As it is now, the Galveston paper covers North Texas better than the Houston Chronicle does.

But do they cover NT more than the DMN? If they cover it at all I would venture to say yes.

Im all for you guys in cusa, and im sure the new stadium is nice. But Marshall has a relativly new stadium that seats 40k. ECUs stadium is new, beautiful and seats 58k and So. Miss stadium is also incredibly nice and has a much bigger capacity... I think youd be competitive against the lower level cusa teams. Lower level Cusa teams = Good sbc teams.

Last I heard S. Mississippi's stadium only holds 36K. I saw it in mid-2005 and wasn't overly impressed, but I hear that it has been prettied up with suites and such since then.

• Upvote 1

Last I heard S. Mississippi's stadium only holds 36K. I saw it in mid-2005 and wasn't overly impressed, but I hear that it has been prettied up with suites and such since then.

Many of us have been long time admirers of Southern Miss and East Carolina's football programs. I remember a Southern Living "football edition" (when they had one) with a feature of Bobby Collins standing in front of their stadium as it looked like back then. They were fightingn Ole Miss and Miss. St. for recruits but they had a nice stadium that many years ago to recruit toward.

We scheduled East Carolina a few years after Hayden Fry (and most of his talent) had left North Texas and we thought "Oh! East Carolina, we will get an easy "W" from our first game ever with them" as we were still riding the crest of the Fry Era even 2 and 3 years after he had left for Iowa...........well, East Carolina U schooled North Texas in the fine art of college football the day we played them and I think many of us thought even as far as back then that "we may be in for a rough patch for awhile w/o a Hayden Fry clone around." That would prove to be prophetic more than we ever really wanted it to be.

GMG!

PS: After years of recruiting DB's, WR's and RB's I think Dan McCarney will install a solid and balanced recruiting program and bring it all back home to us who call themselves Mean Green. (And ain't that Apothee Stadium the best damn thing

to happen to us since sliced bread)?

• Downvote 2

I just see the whole thing as similar to Fouts vs. Apogee: move out to move up. Yeah, who knows when we'll figure out Tulsa, but I would take our chances against Memphis, Tulane and UAB year and consider ourselves lame to write down Rice and UTEP as unwinnable. I mean, compare travel to Memphis to what Hank and JubJub were talking about from Jonesboro; two cross country bus trips could be eliminated from each away game. And, although AkStateFan seems like a nice enough fellow, I just have no desire to see their team, which seems (at least) borderline dirty, or their fans, in Denton or there. And, how many can answer where Monroe, Louisiana really is? Why is one of the Florida teams Atlantic and the other International. In a way, I just kinda wish, being a geographer, I could be more locationally tolerant.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys, Marshall alum, booster and fan here. I floated the idea of adding North Texas as one of the three teams to replace the teams we are losing on our board. I think most Herd fans would be fine with you all taking SMUs place in the west division... Maybe add FIU and Ohio in the east and shift So. Miss to the west. That would get CUSA back to 12 teams and add three quality markets/fan bases. How does this sound to you all?...

Cusa East... ECU, Marshall, UAB, Memphis, FIU, Ohio

Cusa West... North Texas, So. Miss, Rice, Utep, Tulane, Tulsa

And yes, the alliance still happens. The Wac loses Boise, but adds Utah State to have 10 teams. Conference champs still play each other.

Welcome Marshall alum. My dad grew up a fan, living in South Point and Huntington. I've always loved that area. To me, if we get into CUSA, this is one of the biggest bonuses, we get to go up there every other year. It will make for some interesting talk at the family reunions up there every summer. Most of them are Marshall fans, if not alums. If we make it to CUSA, I'll meet you across from the campus for a Stewart's Hot Dog and some Snyder Potato Chips.

The CUSA should be astounded that we have kept in FBS at all with the competition we face in this state and our place on such a low rung. I'm not nearly as excited about CUSA without UH but get us out of the Sunbelt and the results will be great anyway.

UTEP - they are just afraid. They know we have 10X better location.

How many schools are in a better location than El Paso?

If we ever open the season there, I'm combining an away game with side trips to Balmorhea State Park (largest spring fed swimming pool) and the Marfa Lights Festival, followed by dinner at the Limpia Hotel dining room in Fort Davis (operated by a UNT alum and her husband). Easy drive from there up to Van Horn, where I'll try another historic hotel operated by said UNT connected people. Has anyone here mentioned that we should support other UNT folk in their business endeavors when the quality and value are there? If a game there is in November, I'll substitute a side trip to the Guadalupe National Park for the Barlmorhea swimming hole and the Marfa Lights (its McKittrick Canyon has maybe the prettiest hike in Texas). Bonus: West Texans are some of the World's greatest people (yes, you can find some other UNT exes out there).

Edited by eulessismore

Rudy, there is still a floating bar on the Ohio. It was called Holderby's Landing last I knew. I moved a couple hours away from Huntington after graduating in 2006.

I get back for all the home football games and probably about half the hoops games (gotta make the season tickets worth it, lol).

Im heading back for the ECU game the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I will be sure to stock up on Snyders on my trip.

How many schools are in a better location than El Paso?

I used to spend a considerable amount of time in El Paso for work. It's remote, yes, but I sure do miss going out there. Nicest group of people, best Mexican food you can get without a passport, great weather, and that desert landscape...it...grows on you.

Edit: If you're into steak houses, El Paso has two of the best. First is Cattlemen's, waaay out east toward Socorro and located on a ranch. All rustic style. Second is Billy Crews, just over the New Mexico border (but still considered El Paso by most). They hand cut your steaks to order and have a wine list that will blow your mind.

Edited by oldguystudent

UTEP - they are just afraid. They know we have 10X better location.

UTEP may not be in a top 5 market technically like DFW but I think you're selling El Paso pretty short. UTEP has a ton of support and probably has much better attendence than we have. Not to mention but El Paso is growing really really fast...within 5-10 yrs I believe I read the whole area will be over a million people. That place is also easily accessible with their airport. I'd love to be partners with UTEP in a conference any day of the week.

UTEP has a ton of support and probably has much better attendence than we have.

The Miner fans I know are very, very unhappy that their attendance has plummeted... to 29K.

Miner basketball averages over 9K.

There is nothing else on the El Paso sports scene except the Diablos, and now Juarez is too scary to go to. What else is there to do? You can only go to Chico's Tacos so many times.

They are in a bad spot geographically to fit in well with any conference, but their isolation also means any winning Miner team is going to pull in crazy attendance and local media coverage.

ETA: I Own Page Four.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 2

Rudy, there is still a floating bar on the Ohio. It was called Holderby's Landing last I knew. I moved a couple hours away from Huntington after graduating in 2006.

I get back for all the home football games and probably about half the hoops games (gotta make the season tickets worth it, lol).

Im heading back for the ECU game the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I will be sure to stock up on Snyders on my trip.

My Uncle lives in Wayne County, a couple of miles inside the state line from Kentucky. We usually stay in Ashland when we visit and hit up that Wal Mart for a few bags of Snyder's before we leave. That's the good thinkg about driving, we can fill the trunk with bags of the best chips in this country.

Think I'm going to have to order some online.

• Upvote 1

At the team's current level we'd be in for a few more years of serious butt whippings. Everyone here ok with that in favor of the greater, long-term good?

I don't think it would make that big of a difference. Depending on which power rating you look at UNT is either ahead of 4 Sun Belt and 4 CUSA schools or 4 Sun Belt and 3 CUSA.

outside of memphis their hoops sucks.

i know the western fans want in and i understand but cusa hoops minus memphis is terrible. we don't have a chance of getting in and this is not sour grapes but i was stunned someone mentioned marshall and hoops together. they've been awful.