So let's say we get into CUSA

oldguystudent

outside of memphis their hoops sucks.

i know the western fans want in and i understand but cusa hoops minus memphis is terrible. we don't have a chance of getting in and this is not sour grapes but i was stunned someone mentioned marshall and hoops together. they've been awful.

Marshall won 22 games last season, and 24 the year before that. During the latter run, Hassan Whiteside was a freshman that broke school and conference records for blocks in a season. He chose the Thundering heard over many SEC schools including Kentucky, in addition to Charlotte. He was drafted by the NBA after one collegiate season. I don't consider that "awful", so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

UAB won 22 games last season, and 25 the year before. They were top-25.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but I do think Memphis' dominance has hurt the perception of the league: no one really cares to see that they have had multiple bid years recently, with ranked teams that get no attention because they play under the shadow of the Tigers.

UTEP ain't too shabby, either. I don't think I've been to a better college basketball atmosphere since watching Miner ball in the 1990s Haskins Center. OSU/Tech in the Pit came close. UTEP does that, and does it consistently. They've been ranked recently, too. Houston has been in the postseason since 2008, including a 2010 NCAA bid.

**edit: Tulsa isn't too far removed from an E8 appearance; I might be showing my age with that. I think it's actually been 10+ seasons. 2008 saw them win the CBI, fwiw.

Edited by greenminer

The CUSA should be astounded that we have kept in FBS at all with the competition we face in this state and our place on such a low rung. I'm not nearly as excited about CUSA without UH but get us out of the Sunbelt and the results will be great anyway.

UTEP - they are just afraid. They know we have 10X better location.

UTEP isn't afraid of anything. I really want North Texas in CUSA because we have a HUGE alumni base in the DFW metro area. Our fans always had a strong presence at SMU games. We actually called it UTEP-East. If UNT gets the invite, expect the Miner faithful to show up in droves. I am confident your attendance will increase if invited to CUSA, especially when you have UTEP at home. And UTSA can suck it. CUSA shouldn't touch that wannabe with a ten foot pole. The fact that CUSA even has them on a "short list" is embarrassing.

• Upvote 3

UTEP isn't afraid of anything. I really want North Texas in CUSA because we have a HUGE alumni base in the DFW metro area. Our fans always had a strong presence at SMU games. We actually called it UTEP-East. If UNT gets the invite, expect the Miner faithful to show up in droves. I am confident your attendance will increase if invited to CUSA, especially when you have UTEP at home. And UTSA can suck it. CUSA shouldn't touch that wannabe with a ten foot pole. The fact that CUSA even has them on a "short list" is embarrassing.

Well then just get on the phone with the UTEP president and let your feelings known. :)

Many CUSA schools have impressive numbers of alums in the North Texas Metroplex.

I don't know, though all this may make too much sense for it to really happen. We'd be disappointed if it didn't but not demolished by any means. Our future will be bright somewhere once we shake Fouts'itus from our system and all the grief its presence gave our athletic program many of our adult lives. A Game Day at Apogee Stadium has really exceeded anything close as to what I ever thought it would be. We hope to be hosting your Miners very soon! Would be fun for all.

Ask the UH Coog fans about the fun they had at Apogee. They are still talking about our stadium 2 1/2 months later.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the welcome. Like I was saying earlier, I would definitely like to have North Texas on board. On paper it looks like you all have some good potential. And I know right now our 25K-30K attendance numbers aren't what they normally should be. During our first "good" years in CUSA we averaged a healthy 40-45K+. But if you do get the invite and we have a good year, Fear the Sun Bowl. Lol.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the welcome. Like I was saying earlier, I would definitely like to have North Texas on board. On paper it looks like you all have some good potential. And I know right now our 25K-30K attendance numbers aren't what they normally should be. During our first "good" years in CUSA we averaged a healthy 40-45K+. But if you do get the invite and we have a good year, Fear the Sun Bowl. Lol.

I prefer this vid with great crowd shots starting around 1:28